Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

i reckon the view is he is to slow to play as a forward pocket, too slow too short and too unfit to play as a leading half forward and too slow, unfit and not strong enough to play as a mid.
so despite his good numbers and form at VFL level the club doesnt think he can replicate them at AFL level.

Coburgtiger said:
Not sure what Andy Collins has to do with anything. I never complained about that. Plus, that was a trade. There was some benefit to it. This is simply more error of judgement from the club which ended it's season with some extreme errors in judgement.

Its just that as demonstrated by this thread there are plenty of players who supporters liked who it was subsequently proven were simply not good enough and the club made a good decision.

Helbig was up to it

Darrou was up to it

Donuts was up to it

you cant do it unless given an opportunity

one random game, out of position, then getting dropped regardless of performance isnt really going to help

Depending on draft and trade, may get rookied, to give him last chance to get fit.

pessimistic_ said:
Helbig was up to it

Darrou was up to it

Donuts was up to it

one random game, out of position, then getting dropped regardless of performance isnt really going to help

Tell me again where Helbig and Darrou are playing now? If they were up to it surely another AFL club would have given them another chance?

pessimistic_ said:
Helbig was up to it

Darrou was up to it

Donuts was up to it

Pessimistics complete ignorance of football confirmed. Saved for later reference.

axlefoley said:
Didn't mind him. Suffered from hamstring and other soft tissue injuries. Had potential, very unlucky.

Poor bugger also had Sudafed problems that precluded us putting him on the rookie list

Sintiger said:
McDonough might have become a player if he ever got fit enough

And thats the key. We may never know if he can make it but he's been given 3 years to get fit enough and isn't there, hence I think the delisting was an easy enough decision. Probably the only reason that McDonough went early and Gordon hasn't gone yet.

Brodders17 said:
i reckon the view is he is to slow to play as a forward pocket, too slow too short and too unfit to play as a leading half forward and too slow, unfit and not strong enough to play as a mid.
so despite his good numbers and form at VFL level the club doesnt think he can replicate them at AFL level.

All those limitations were all very much known at draft time and are very hard to improve (height, pace etc) thus pretty big assertions towards Frank's selection there Brodders.

Brutal at our recruiting dep't.

Leysy Days said:
All those limitations were all very much known at draft time and are very hard to improve (height, pace etc) thus pretty big assertions towards Frank's selection there Brodders.

Yeah not sure i've seen Brodders so scathing on the club

Leysy Days said:

You missed one bit Leysy that could be fixed and that's fitness. My understanding is that he was continually challenged to get AFL fit and couldn't or wouldn't do it.

It is possible that when he gets a bit older he will do well as an AFL player because with maturity will come a commitment to what is necessary. I wouldn't be surprised if he got picked up as a rookie somewhere

snaps truly said:
Tell me again where Helbig and Darrou are playing now? If they were up to it surely another AFL club would have given them another chance?

darrou finshed 3rd in a sanfl sides b/f and will be drafted by port or adelaide i would think

helbig is likling killing it somewhere as he is a good kid. outstanding at VFL level quite often for mine

Barlow was up to it and he was not given a chance. Ditto Lambert. you logic is flawed

pessimistic_ said:
darrou finshed 3rd in a sanfl sides b/f and will be drafted by port or adelaide i would think

helbig is likling killing it somewhere as he is a good kid. outstanding at VFL level quite often for mine

Barlow was up to it and he was not given a chance. Ditto Lambert. you logic is flawed

You are a conceptual dogs breakfast. On the one hand you go on and on about a list full of mediocre moneyball players holding us back, on the other you want to keep every not-quite or only-just player on the list. If you're gunna be pessimistic, at least be consistent.

tigersnake said:
You are a conceptual dogs breakfast. On the one hand you go on and on about a list full of mediocre moneyball players holding us back, on the other you want to keep every not-quite or only-just player on the list. If you're gunna be pessimistic, at least be consistent.

The theme is that those I support; McDonough, Lennon, McBean, Helbig, Darrou

are not proven duds, " list full of mediocre moneyball players holding us back"

they have the potential to be good players for the club one day

where are your Chaplin, Griggs, are terrible list blockers with no upside. oxygen thief's, if you will

Back on topic Matthew McDonough is a footballer first and i reckon will make it

pessimistic_ said:

Darrou played four games for South Adelaide reserves this year, was it third in their B&F?

Helbig is likely killing it somewhere cause he's a good kid? That's nice.