Matthew Arnot [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Arnot [Merged]

CarnTheTiges said:
Was always at long odds when he was delisted and then rookied for this year.

If he was given the chances Morris and Thomas were given he might have made it.

T-Shirt Tommy said:
Still think he was played out of position when elevated to the seniors.

He isn't a forward pocket. Pure inside mid.

A bullock. Lives for hard contests. Could have use him in the middle on Sunday. Never given a go.

Didn't have enough tricks up his sleeve to make it at AFL level. Other than his massive thighs, I saw nothing that excited me when he played in the seniors

Baloo said:
Didn't have enough tricks up his sleeve to make it at AFL level. Other than his massive thighs, I saw nothing that excited me when he played in the seniors

Ditto McDonagh. It wasn't in his legs, it was in his eyes, and the set of his jaw. I've always admitted my fondness for Matty was inexplicable. Think he had more give. Needed to be bred for head-cracking inside work. Instead was played outside and given the vest and in-out treatment in the seniors. I may be wrong but thanks to the selectors we will never know.

KnightersRevenge said:
Ditto McDonagh. It wasn't in his legs, it was in his eyes, and the set of his jaw. I've always admitted my fondness for Matty was inexplicable. Think he had more give. Needed to be bred for head-cracking inside work. Instead was played outside and given the vest and in-out treatment in the seniors. I may be wrong but thanks to the selectors we will never know.
Agree with this verdict - another of wasted potential. Lambert kept at it at VFL level till given his chances. Did NOT set the world on fire but we persevered. But not with Arnott or McDonough, who are younger. Matt might have been exactly what we needed doing the rugged in-and-under stuff or hard-tagging. Look how good our classy 'stars' were in the midfield last Sunday: Cotch/Lids/Titch.
Only one tough inside mid stood up - Miles.
And Norf killed us with these unglamorous, rugged, not speedy types: Jacobs, Cunnington, Swallow and Ziebell.

He should go play a season at Frankston and maybe get a tilt again in 2017 should he have a good season.

All the best in the future and well done in playing 9 more games than most of us.

I was really hoping his numbers in the VFL would improve, but he just didn't get enough of it.

spook said:
This I don't understand. Why don't/can't we keep a bloke like this to strengthen the VFL list?
He will be getting paid pretty well at Port plus they won't be trying to develop players for the afl team as a first priority

Sintiger said:
He will be getting paid pretty well at Port plus they won't be trying to develop players for the afl team as a first priority
Why can't we pay him what Port is?

Sintiger said:

Most other AFL aligned clubs with the same issues are far better at getting quality bodies in though Sin.

Leysy has said it for many years. It's just so crucial.

Makes zero sense to spend millions on recruiting and development only to leave them squandering where kids learn the most - Game Day.

Seriously, it's been little improvement on Coburg to this point. And you could see it happening.

I think serious, Tf. To raise the standard (and winning chances/culture) in the Magoos. Young is an assassin at the level.

spook said:
This I don't understand. Why don't/can't we keep a bloke like this to strengthen the VFL list?

The vfl side is there to build talent, not to give blokes $$$

zippadeee said:
The vfl side is there to build talent, not to give blokes $$$
This is true and it is a delicate balance.
We want a certain number of good experienced VFL players who might be good mentors to our young AFL listed players - but don't want too many espcially in positions that would deny our own kids the chance to perform.
Also as a fan I want to win games - or at least be competitive in games. But I don't want to see that at the expense of seeing our kids play.