Life, The Universe and Everything Else | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Life, The Universe and Everything Else

this is the thread of harmony, KR :angel:

If anyone has 45 minutes to spare I highly reccomend this talk by SAm Harris on Freewill.

It pisses my off somewhat because it is almost identical to what I had planned as a master thesis ( although my arguments were going to be less scientificlly orientated)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCofmZlC72g

very enjoyable documentary series hosted by richard dawknis is on sbs at the moment. the series is about how society goes about keeping its morals and values in a world that is becoming more secular.

the episode i watched the other night was about sin (with a focus on sex). there was one discussion which really piqued my interest.

dawkins had his geneology mapped (which was interesting in itself), which it led to a discussion on evolution. if darwin's theory states that the fittest and strongest survive and multiply, then how does evolution explain how one third of the the people in the world over the age of 100 alive today are actually childless? when you think about it, this is an incredibe statistic. i don't know what the percenate of humans that have never had children is, but i would expect it to be extremely low... less than 5% perhaps? maybe someone can provide this stat?

so the big question is: if these people have lived so long, why haven't they spread their genes? because obviously these people have very strong genes if they live to that sort of age. but the only way for their strong genes to survive is through procreation.

i found the answer to be just as interesting... it's because nature wants people to procreate. if you don't procreate, nature wants you to keep living until your genes have been passed on. and once you do procreate and your genes have been passed on, you become expendible... so you tend to die younger.

Ian4 said:
so the big question is: if these people have lived so long, why haven't they spread their genes? because obviously these people have very strong genes if they live to that sort of age. but the only way for their strong genes to survive is through procreation.

i found the answer to be just as interesting... it's because nature wants people to procreate. if you don't procreate, nature wants you to keep living until your genes have been passed on. and once you do procreate and your genes have been passed on, you become expendible... so you tend to die younger.

The answer doesn't cut it for me. According to that info the majority of the over 100s, 2/3, have spread their genes and didn't die younger. According to that theory nature should have knocked them off the perch earlier.

Ian4 said:
very enjoyable documentary series hosted by richard dawknis is on sbs at the moment. the series is about how society goes about keeping its morals and values in a world that is becoming more secular.

the episode i watched the other night was about sin (with a focus on sex). there was one discussion which really piqued my interest.

dawkins had his geneology mapped (which was interesting in itself), which it led to a discussion on evolution. if darwin's theory states that the fittest and strongest survive and multiply, then how does evolution explain how one third of the the people in the world over the age of 100 alive today are actually childless? when you think about it, this is an incredibe statistic. i don't know what the percenate of humans that have never had children is, but i would expect it to be extremely low... less than 5% perhaps? maybe someone can provide this stat?

There's no evolutionary value in living beyond child-bearing age. A more interesting stat would be the proportion of childless women at menopause.

rosy23 said:
The answer doesn't cut it for me. According to that info the majority of the over 100s, 2/3, have spread their genes and didn't die younger. According to that theory nature should have knocked them off the perch earlier.

compare the amount of childless people at age 50 compared to the age of 100. i'm tipping it won't be anywhere near 33% at age 50.

Azza said:
There's no evolutionary value in living beyond child-bearing age. A more interesting stat would be the proportion of childless women at menopause.

lol, valid point. typical selfish me by not factoring in women... especially considering hey live longer than men. i'm just thinking of myself as i've pretty much made the decision that i will never have kids.

Ian4 said:
compare the amount of childless people at age 50 compared to the age of 100. i'm tipping it won't be anywhere near 33% at age 50.

I wouldn't have a clue about that so not much point me speculating. I was only referring to the info you posted.

Ian4 said:
i've pretty much made the decision that i will never have kids.

Phew...good to know. :hihi

Azza said:

That is an interesting question.

One hypothesis is about the value of grandmothers in rearing their grandchildren.

Panthera tigris FC said:
That is an interesting question.

One hypothesis is about the value of grandmothers in rearing their grandchildren.

Good point. Although in times of scarcity feeding an extra mouth would work against that to some extent. Complex.

mld said:

Whenever creationists get all fired up their most oft used retort is "yeh, well if evolution is true how come we don't see transistional species fossils?"

Surely something like this qualifies as a transistional species. It's obvious it was once a fish that swam upright and that it is gradually transitioning into some sort of sting ray thingy .

tumblr_mhtobqMFho1s3yrubo1_1280.jpg

Panthera tigris FC said:
Indeed. Fascinating stuff though.

yo Pantera, was at the Tote last night watching a couple of Geelong punksters you may remember from back in the day? good times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtfSKauZDcM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiOhlZ6Wrw4

Asteroid to miss the earth by 28,000km on Feb 16. Will pass west of WA. Shame we can't see it.

Geez....I still remember getting scared at 12 years of age with that Skylab fall. ;D

evo said:
yo Pantera, was at the Tote last night watching a couple of Geelong punksters you may remember from back in the day? good times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtfSKauZDcM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiOhlZ6Wrw4

Yep. The singer's sister lives just down the road!

Gotta love The Tote.

Ian4 said:
I'm hearing on news reports that scientists have proven there was life on mars... how exciting

Frigging amazing if true, although the Age/SMH aren't quite so bullish -

http://www.smh.com.au/world/mars-find-boosts-prospects-for-life-20130313-2g0j9.html