Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

tha8ball said:
Thought he was quiet. Was he on haynes? Had equal high 21 pressure acts and 5 tackles. Will play on Lever you would think.

Dont know if he would have the tank to go with Lever tbh

Definitely played his role. More score involvements than Butler and Riewoldt, 21pressure acts which was more than every other forward except Rioli who also had 21. No way he's getting dropped.

bullus_hit said:
Below average, if he didn't kick those 11 goals in 2 weeks then his place would be up for grabs.

Yeh, was found out a bit with the tempo. Is pretty slow. Improved in 2nd half, hard to see a change in selection.

MD Jazz said:
Yeh, was found out a bit with the tempo. Is pretty slow. Improved in 2nd half, hard to see a change in selection.

Give the guy a break! He's only been in the seniors for 5 (?) games so nerves may have had a part in the slow start. I noticed a few of our lads were a bit flat footed in the first but once those first quarter nerves were allayed, they really picked up. I though Townsend applied some great pressure, and plays his role well. The Tiges this year are far greater than the sum of their parts. Its how they click as a team, not about individual efforts.

Go Toigs! said:
Give the guy a break! He's only been in the seniors for 5 (?) games so nerves may have had a part in the slow start. I noticed a few of our lads were a bit flat footed in the first but once those first quarter nerves were allayed, they really picked up. I though Townsend applied some great pressure, and plays his role well. The Tiges this year are far greater than the sum of their parts. Its how they click as a team, not about individual efforts.
Hes played about 30 games in his career, but only had 4 this season. Did his job with the pressure.

No way he is being dropped for next week. But he is in our bottom six, so for next year - who in the VFL could demand his spot?

It isn't actually obvious who could replace him. He provides a different tactical option for Hardwick than Bolton/Stengle or Lloyd. He'll only be dropped if he can't perform the role he's being assigned on the intercept/rebounding defenders.

He is being thrown at a very good player each week - and as stated he is a 30 gamer and not many of those were in the forward line. Love how he is having to play tall and is doing ok.

Go Toigs! said:

Relax. He won't be dropped but he struggled with the early tempo. Improved in the 2nd half. He plays tall and is tough as nails, he is slow though. I wish him all the best, he's got great character.

Go Toigs! said:
Too many people ignore that basic fact

If you look at stats in terms of disposals he shouldn't play but like our small she contributes in other ways such as contesting marks, bumping and generally taking some physical heat from the opposition.
Like Castagna his contribution is in playing his role not gaining many possessions.

Jacob Mr September Townsend isn't going anywhere he'll play in the Grand Final get behind him and the boys
:gotigers :cupgold

I imagine he will get lever. Hopefully he works him over physically.

Looked a bit flatfooted but maybe that was contributed to the what was required of him. Got plenty of grunt , stays on his feet & that is what counts.

Towner is not quick off the mark and he doesn't seem to have an AFL tank. Early daws in any AFL game he will struggle. But he's ok pacewise when he's moving and the pace of the game comes back to him as it wears on. He has four steps. And he's strong for his size. Can take on 100 keggers no worries.

He is just hanging on in terms of his athleticism. Any less athletic and he's out. His strength is getting him there. He can hold them with his bulk.

I noticed him doing that head tackling thing again during the PF. He'd obviously been instructed to lay a few out. I don't like that head tackling thing. He'll be picked off. That mustn't happen in a Grand Final. No tackling with the head. Barred. Prohibited.

Because of his strength in front of the ball we use Townsend to screen in marking contests and to block opponent run. He's very good at both of these things. But in order to be effective he has to be perceived as a threat around goal. Jacob Townsend's eleven-goal opening pair of games established that he's a threat. If he leads out he draws one. That's crucial to the dynamic.

I think we might use Towner in a more positive role early in the GF. He is the perfect Shane Ellis (if a little more exposed). Jacob Townsend can hold front position. He can catch. Great hands. And he can convert. If we can get Martin and Caddy down there too we hit Townsend. Get him out the other side. He will get the softest matchup. And space.

At quarter time in the VFL GF Jacob Townsend's position in the 22 was in enormous danger. One ankle to Bolton later Towner is a lock. I think he might kick a few.