Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

I understand Caesar.

I'm not opposed to a 1 year but true he could be a 3 game wonder and doesn't fire a shot next Saturday.

But if the kid gets us into a GF( IF) and whatever happens then , I don't see the harm in it.

Even for experience & back up in the VFL ( Liston winner ) wouldn't be a bad thing. We will certainly have a few delistings etc .

I'm sure the club isn't in any hurry but Balmy seems a big fan of the kid so he will most likely get to play next year.

Towner won't be on any sort of get wealthy contract, he'd be worthy of a fair two year deal at the moment. Best player in the VFL comp this year n while stunning moderate opposition in a couple of non relevant games was fun, he still managed first goal plus another late, from behind the point post in a super heated final and restricted his opponents influence. Done his job very well in his three games, earns the prospect of a secure couple of years to continue building on what he's done this year.
There's been plenty over recent years have kept their contracts off far less impact than Towner.

TigerMasochist said:
Towner won't be on any sort of get wealthy contract, he'd be worthy of a fair two year deal at the moment. Best player in the VFL comp this year n while stunning moderate opposition in a couple of non relevant games was fun, he still managed first goal plus another late, from behind the point post in a super heated final and restricted his opponents influence. Done his job very well in his three games, earns the prospect of a secure couple of years to continue building on what he's done this year.
There's been plenty over recent years have kept their contracts off far less impact than Towner.

If he didn't perform in those 'non relevant games' we would have missed top four, and probably already be on holiday.

Coburgtiger said:
If he didn't perform in those 'non relevant games' we would have missed top four, and probably already be on holiday.

Hardwick got us top 4, Coburg. Don't forget that!

Sorry peeps, it's meant as non relevant to the opposition clubs. Aints n Frockers both moderate teams at best n neither had anything to play for, a bit like our boys at the end of last year. Turned up because we had to but the games weren't relevant, we'd already checked out for the year.
Tiges playing for top four made it a probable slaughterhouse result. Towner playing a couple of career saving games obviously ran amok with the chainsaw, much to the delight of us Tiggy fans.

Apparently Bulldogs want to swap Stringer and pick 10 for Towner.

If they threw in Tim English, I'd be inclined to give it some thought.

Watching the Swans get destroyed - do you think if we play Geelong again that they will run a defensive tag on Townsend to allow Henderson to be freed up?

Nice to see what might have happened if Townsend didn't restrict himself to only the two goals so that he could shut down Henderson.

Brettstigers said:
Watching the Swans get destroyed - do you think if we play Geelong again that they will run a defensive tag on Townsend to allow Henderson to be freed up?

Nice to see what might have happened if Townsend didn't restrict himself to only the two goals so that he could shut down Henderson.

Pretty sure we didn't leave them with a loose back the whole game. The Swans played a free man at the back which meant it was far too easy for Geelong to pick off the ball. I assume they would try something. I wonder if they played 7 or 8 back, whether we would be prepared to match up on them.

UKTiger said:
Further proof of the outstanding job Towner did on Henderson. Not just a goal kicker

Yep, rare trait for match winners to have such a defensive edge to their game as well.

Can win a match, can save a match; whatever the team needs.

I agree Haynes is their most damaging tall defender so Towner should go to him. Davis will get Jack and Tomlinson/Corr are more negating defenders. The game will be all about pressure. If we apply the manic pressure we did against the Cats we should win. If we don't the Giants will put us to the sword. They are the most damaging team in the league when they don't have pressure applied to them.

I hope win or loose we leave nothing in the tank and our pressure is off the charts.

Brettstigers said:

That would be good. Townsend would be running around the place with two opposition players leaving us one free.