Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

After Taylors heroics against us in recent games im pretty sure Scott will play him forward.

The Cats have Henderson and Lonergan plus the utility talls in Mackie and Kolodjasnij down back.

They wont need Taylor to play back this week.

Rance to Tommahawk

Dave to Harry

craig said:
After Taylors heroics against us in recent games im pretty sure Scott will play him forward.

The Cats have Henderson and Lonergan plus the utility talls in Mackie and Kolodjasnij down back.

They wont need Taylor to play back this week.

Rance to Tommahawk

Dave to Harry
agree

they also have Touhy and Tom Stewart. If anything they are already too tall down back

Reading that interview, it confirms that Caddy is our 2nd key forward right now, and Townsend was our 2nd key forward in the last two weeks.

Do we play Caddy midfield when he comes back?

Also, this reaffirms my belief that 198cm+ tall forwards are supremely overrated and overpaid. We can literally play anyone in that role and they'll do better than Vickery, even if they're a former midfielder 15cm shorter. 15cm of height isn't much in a game where even the elite I50 kicks can vary by 5 metres or so due to the difficulty of controlling the unusually shaped ball.

Townsend is better at being a 2nd key forward than Vickery ever was - and he's trained as a midfielder turned small forward. Greg as relief ruck is not noticeably better or worse than Vickery ever was.

While the sample size is small, when you factor in Caddy's goals as a "2nd key forward" tasked with the responsibility of bringing the ball to ground for our faster smalls to dine on, why should we ever overpay a poor footballer due to his height and the traditional belief that every team needs a 198cm flag pole to bomb it to?

Surely Townsend and Caddy's success as a "2nd key forward" makes a mockery of the Casboult/Vickery tall types with no actual football ability.

No disrespect to Townsend, but he was in the delist bin as a midfielder / defensive forward. With just a few days notice, he was called up to play Vickery's old role and dominated. So did Caddy (while doing double duty up the field gathering 20 touches as a relief midfielder).

If being 15cm taller was such an advantage, how does a medium forward like Townsend kick 5 goals and take 5 marks on a near-AA quality tall defender in Carlisle... ever??

Townsend has emerged as our KPF saviour!

zippadeee said:
The only issue was Carlisle took 8 marks, 2nd most marks on the day. Taylor loves playing us.
I've lost count how many times Taylor has been in the best 3 players on the ground against us.
Townsend (if possible) should try and drag him away from any forward contest

Towner took 5 marks and kicked 5 goals to Carlisle's 8 marks. The week before Johnson took 5 marks, Towner took 5 marks and kicked 6 goals.
He is going to get out marked because of the height factor, but he's keeping his opponents honest, out of the way, and stopping them from getting too many intercept marks. This will start to free Jack up a bit, as opposing teams will be spending a lot more time on Towner.

We could have a 3-pronged KPF forward line with Jack, Towners, and Caddy.

Dimma's dream 3-tall setup has been years in the making and will finally be revealed in our first finals win! :hihi

The problem is Caddy is a poor midfielder. Horrible at the stoppages and too slow reaction/reflex wise. Combine that with no break away pace.

Geelong are deceptively quick through the midfield and just about all of Danger, Guthrie, Menegola, Duncan etc would show him up for pace.

He took our contract as he was on the way out of that midfield and he knew it.

mad_tiggy911 said:
The problem is Caddy is a poor midfielder. Horrible at the stoppages and too slow reaction/reflex wise. Combine that with no break away pace.

Geelong are deceptively quick through the midfield and just about all of Danger, Guthrie, Menegola, Duncan etc would show him up for pace.

He took our contract as he was on the way out of that midfield and he knew it.

You'd expect Caddy to perform better than Townsend in the midfield, otherwise we do play a 3-pronged tall forward line with both of them :hihi

Townsend should be a lock in Caddy's old role now, so the question is where do we play Caddy?

123kid said:
You'd expect Caddy to perform better than Townsend in the midfield, otherwise we do play a 3-pronged tall forward line with both of them :hihi

Townsend should be a lock in Caddy's old role now, so the question is where do we play Caddy?
Or play Jack in the middle.

We don't play Caddy. There's no spot for him.

We need to maintain run and pace in the line up.

I hope we don't run out of gas like the last 2 times we've played Carlton and North. The sides selected this year have been stacked with runners and it's why we've done so well. Very few fade outs.

Geelong storm home late. I hope we've already started doing our homework.

No matter what happens from here I'm wrapped for Towner, delivered in 2 huge games for us when he got his chance. It's about to get a lot tougher, however we know he won't shirk any contest.

Yes the second (tallish) forward spot is Towner's to lose now, while not super quick he's quicker than Caddy which allows him to get a bit of a break on his opponents.

Think about it for a minute, Caddy doing a hammy has just about saved Towners career and possibly given us a finals wild card.

:eek:

mad_tiggy911 said:
Think about it for a minute, Caddy doing a hammy has just about saved Towners career and possibly given us a finals wild card.

:eek:

And probably stopped us from delisting him, thereby losing him for nothing.
Still a very big chance we'll delist Miles who would have won the VFL Liston medal if he played the games we've kept him out.

RedanTiger said:
And probably stopped us from delisting him, thereby losing him for nothing.
Still a very big chance we'll delist Miles who would have won the VFL Liston medal if he played the games we've kept him out.

No chance for the Liston, Toby Pinwill a big chance

You'd have to give the spot to Townsend.

He's done more in two games than Caddy has done all season.

Very good kick for goal, and knows where to be.

zippadeee said:
North have offered a 9year 150k deal to him

:clap :clap :clap :clap

JT could be anything. I am just glad he will get a chance next Friday night. His last two weeks have contributed majorly to use being where we are.

I never thought much of him, always just as another GWS kid looking to go elsewhere. He is only 24. Each game he gets he earns and improves. not much wrong with that.

Good luck JT. Go nuts !!!

Reckon he woulda been the like for like, but now you'd probably play Caddy in the midfield which pushes Graham out which equally sucks

Loved how sheepish Hardwick looked when asked why he hadn't picked him before. Why - because no-one expected him to do more than crash-tackle-grunt whichever opponent happened to be in front of him.

Remember when Caddy kicked four (cos they were handed to him in the goal square) but missed all four set shots - which weren't gimmie's I'll grant you.

Assuming Townsend can kick straight again then even if he only gets a couple of goals we're actually in front. Can't afford to move him out. A defensive forward who will kick four goals if he gets four kicks is a bloody unnerving proposition for an opposition backline.