Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

Was it Townsend that collided with Geary in the first, causing the Aints to play one short?

graystar1 said:
Strange how so many bagged him earlier on. Quite a few said he should not ever be considered. How things change!!

I think the knocks on Townsend were valid based on his previous AFL games but he's proven the knockers wrong so far. He might be getting a little more attention from now on but he's a big strong guy so will be interesting to see how he copes with it against the better sides in the competition.

I thought Lennon was worth a shot because of his kicking and ability to find space but Jacob is doing those things plus providing a heap of pressure.

Congrats to him. As noted by a few he has played well at VFL level this year and the form more than translated into the firsts. Not a top class mid but maybe has found his spot up forward in the 'new age' footy we are playing.

Hats off to the coaching staff, turning this guy into a defensive forward, he hits hard and kicks straight, I surprise packet into the finals, will have more pressure next year.

Could win us a flag this year.

I hear from a source close to Jake, up until a few weeks ago, he had pretty much resigned himself to the most likely outcome being that his AFL career had run it's course and was preparing to move back to Leeton to work in his father's business. So obviously didn't hold out much hope of getting picked up by a third club, despite his consistently good form in the twos. Amazing the difference a few weeks can make.

Panthera Tigris said:
I hear from a source close to Jake, up until a few weeks ago, he had pretty much resigned himself to the most likely outcome being that his AFL career had run it's course and was preparing to move back to Leeton to work in his father's business. So obviously didn't hold out much hope of getting picked up by a third club, despite his consistently good form in the twos. Amazing the difference a few weeks can make.
Nice story, thanks for sharing

As well as kicking goals, Towner has had a defensive roll on the opposition talls, Johnson from the Dockers and then Carlisle on the weekend.
Hawkins didn't play last time we played the Cats, so not sure whether Taylor will play forward again when he lowered Rances colours.
If Taylor plays back, Towner would be a good chance to go to him.

tigerman said:
As well as kicking goals, Towner has had a defensive roll on the opposition talls, Johnson from the Dockers and then Carlisle on the weekend.
Hawkins didn't play last time we played the Cats, so not sure whether Taylor will play forward again when he lowered Rances colours.

Good post that's exactly what's happening. Very effectively too. Clearly looking to ruffle feathers and get in the way of those that love an intercept mark.
The goals are a bonus.
Very good coaching strategy. I'm impressed how he's being used. Big tick footy dept.

tigerman said:

Exactly what i was thinking when i saw carlyle on him. 2 goals and drawing a good tall defender is a great outcome. 5 and 6 goals is the thickest and seedyest passionfruit icing i can recall

easy said:
Exactly what i was thinking when i saw carlyle on him. 2 goals and drawing a good tall defender is a great outcome. 5 and 6 goals is the thickest and seedyest passionfruit icing i can recall

The only issue was Carlisle took 8 marks, 2nd most marks on the day. Taylor loves playing us.
I've lost count how many times Taylor has been in the best 3 players on the ground against us.
Townsend (if possible) should try and drag him away from any forward contest