Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

year of the tiger said:
We are setting the standards pretty high now for our next tier of players - can’t be a bad thing

That's unbelievable. High standards? but we keep Menadue & Moore.
Townsend has both them covered

zippadeee said:
I hear ya Zips, however even though I don’t hold much hope for either Moore or Menadue, I do think they’d be the best 43rd an 44th players we’ve had on our list in a long time, yep I still think our genuine depth is not quite there, though it’s young and has potential and when your top 5 players are Martin, Lynch, Rance, Reiwoldt and Cotchin going into a season it’s pretty much impossible to have great depth without breaking the salary cap

Come on! You're supposed to be Mr. Brightside! Still hold out hope for these two. AFL can be a long apprenticeship for some.

Towner, right place at the right time.
A one hit wonder that was enough to earn him a premiership medallion.
It is was it is. Thought he looked slow this year. No impact.
Not sure what he could do to get better. Maybe got to run more for more fitness & speed imo.
Run Towner, run!

The salary cap must be incredibly tight if we have to let Towner go as well. We will be like Sydney in the Buddy/Tippett era when they only had kids to call on outside
their best 24 or 25. Hopefully we get a few who can step up and play a role if their number is called.

I think a public gathering of 100,000 supporters protesting outside Punt Road HQ might be in order....

We can set up a bbq, a few tinnies and a big screen with 2 minute GF highlights on repeat of Jacob driving Crouch into the ground, outmarking Lever and close-ups of Lever's clown face, intercepting kick-ins, the Broad-Jack-Lambert-Meatball goal where Jacob dumps no-name Adelaide player into ground on wing releasing the ball forward, etc.

zippadeee said:

From what I have read these two have shown more potential and form than Towner this year and they have more to offer longer term than Towner (imo)

Towner was great last year and peaked at the right time in the right place but I sense he has gone backwards this year for some reason

Dev Tiger said:
The salary cap must be incredibly tight if we have to let Towner go as well. We will be like Sydney in the Buddy/Tippett era when they only had kids to call on outside
their best 24 or 25. Hopefully we get a few who can step up and play a role if their number is called.

That’s a big assumption - we don’t know that for sure do we

I would prefer we give him one more year but at the end of the day - he is not in our best 25 and so I am not to worried.

If I was Townsend I would be offended by our offer to delist and rookie him and would jump at the Sydney offer...damn our salary cap must be tight

Good luck to him if he ends up at Sydney and this will be the first major fail from our footy department IMHO

ahyeahnah said:
If I was Townsend I would be offended by our offer to delist and rookie him and would jump at the Sydney offer...damn our salary cap must be tight

Good luck to him if he ends up at Sydney and this will be the first major fail from our footy department IMHO

I’m not sure it’s money that’s stopping us giving him a contract on the senior list. He’s limited in the roles he can play and the role he can play we have plenty of depth in. Senior spots are for drafted midfielders and probably Chol.

WesternTiger said:
I’m not sure it’s money that’s stopping us giving him a contract on the senior list. He’s limited in the roles he can play and the role he can play we have plenty of depth in. Senior spots are for drafted midfielders and probably Chol.
I get it but we keep him on the list and turn him into a run with player. That kind of hassling bastard the opposition teams hate that we dont actually have at the moment AND he can rest in the forward line, neutralise a player and kick goals.

Surely he could spend a summer working on his pace and endurance. Here's a question, if he had of played against Collingwood and tagged Sidebottom could he have impacted the game?

Unfortunately, towner doesn't have the tank to run with. He is also slow. Yes, can lay a tackle and had some forward pressure but needs to be more versatile in today's games.

Alot of people are getting too emotional and ignoring townsend's limitations

He was meant to be a big inside mid but just doesnt accumulate enough ball and really doesnt have the tank to become a run with player

will always just be a player that may be handy if injuries hit but thats all

Club is trying to do the right thing by him and keep him at afl level as long as they can but 2019 will be his last year so if he can get a 3 year deal then thats good for him and the club are happy to let him leave and move on.

Correct Call by the club

turk-d-tiger said:
Alot of people are getting too emotional and ignoring townsend's limitations

He was meant to be a big inside mid but just doesnt accumulate enough ball and really doesnt have the tank to become a run with player

will always just be a player that may be handy if injuries hit but thats all

Club is trying to do the right thing by him and keep him at afl level as long as they can but 2019 will be his last year so if he can get a 3 year deal then thats good for him and the club are happy to let him leave and move on.

Correct Call by the club

But we love him

ahyeahnah said:
I get it but we keep him on the list and turn him into a run with player. That kind of hassling bastard the opposition teams hate that we dont actually have at the moment AND he can rest in the forward line, neutralise a player and kick goals.

Surely he could spend a summer working on his pace and endurance. Here's a question, if he had of played against Collingwood and tagged Sidebottom could he have impacted the game?

Yeah and they would have beaten us by 10 goals because we start 3 players short. As others have said he doesn't have a tank and is slow. Part of the reason he has failed as a midfielder. I like him and he's a premiership player however it's time to move him on because he's surplus.

WesternTiger said:
Yeah and they would have beaten us by 10 goals because we start 3 players short. As others have said he doesn't have a tank and is slow. Part of the reason he has failed as a midfielder. I like him and he's a premiership player however it's time to move him on because he's surplus.

Your Surplus. He is a Gun

WesternTiger said:
Yep, there’s some rose coloured glasses going on here. We love what Townsend brought but let’s face it, 25 yrs old, 47 games in 7 seasons, time to move on. We cleared the other VFL players to make way, can’t see why JT is different.

tigertim said:
Yep, there’s some rose coloured glasses going on here. We love what Townsend brought but let’s face it, 25 yrs old, 47 games in 7 seasons, time to move on. We cleared the other VFL players to make way, can’t see why JT is different.

You must've been rose closed glasses last September.

ahyeahnah said:

Quite the opposite I would think.
47 games in seven years at two clubs.
And it looks like out of 19 games in three years, we will have squeezed a premiership out of him.
He'd be our Mitch Morton in reverse.