Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

ahyeahnah said:
I know little about human physics but isn't it possible to "re-train" him to become an endurance runner?

No not at this level. You have to have the basic natural ability in the first place. Sure you can work on it if that's the case but you're never going to see a Townsend keep up with the likes of Lambert.

tigerlove said:
No not at this level. You have to have the basic natural ability in the first place. Sure you can work on it if that's the case but you're never going to see a Townsend keep up with the likes of Lambert.
true!
Sometimes, you're thrown a chance. He took it and become a premiership player. He may yet respond to another chance. He has determination and will to be out the best. He may need to learn a new position given the Lynch inclusion will change somewhat the dynamics of our future forward line.

He would probably make a half decent tagger in the give-a-star-player-a-hard-time style but Hardwick doesn’t use those types much. Maybe Kingsley has a different opinion? The Saints have tried to use run-with players occasionally.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Think again. ;)

Yeah just read on Facebook that a supporter said that he has signed a 1 year contract.

Inspector said:
Think we missed him late in the year

Had his chance to cement his position late in the season but was dropped after his Round 20 game against Geelong. Was very poor that game, only 2 efficient disposals, virtually unsighted. Just wasn't playing the same as late in 2017, probably partly because by this stage opposition teams had done their homework on him.

burst into the 2017 seniors after tearing it apart in the VFL. Just needs to do the same in 2019. Hard work, form and the rest will come if he is to make it back into the 22.

It was quite noticeable in 2018 how many team's across the leage adopted the 'Townsend' tactic using defensive forward to upset the intercept markers.
We had it used against us many times, particularly late in the season.
Personally I think Jacob's shelf life has reached it's use by date & felt he should have been moved on. Happy to be proven wrong.

I'd like to see him get his fitness to an absolute peak and put him into a forward/midfield role. He won a Liston Medal in the VFL as a midfielder and while not blessed with pace, he should at least be tried more often as a contested ball player in this role, especially with the rule changes. Up to him to develop the endurance required for more regular stints on the ball including transitional running.

I do agree he is quite limited and is probably non requisite now with Tommys arrival but im haoppy for him to provide some physical presence in the VFL for the kids we take in Novemnber

Don't forget what number he is.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-01-15/tale-of-the-tiger-numbers-no-21