Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

gold1 said:
I liken him to Jay schulz and given how Jay went at Port when we let him go think Towner should be kept.

Think he's nothing like Schulz. Schulz was very talented but his desire and desperation left him a bit short. Had the wakeup call he needed when he moved to Port. Townsend leaves no stone unturned with his application and desire but lacks that bit of class.

UKTiger said:
Towner may not be the best around but he is one committed player and hard as nails. If the coaching group work on him close season he still could be a negating midfielder which from memory is what we got him for. Will never get any more leg speed but has something we could mould to suit our needs
As a run with tagger he would scare the crap out of the opposition.

Then he could rest in the forward line and make them nervous down there too

ahyeahnah said:
As a run with tagger he would scare the crap out of the opposition.

Then he could rest in the forward line and make them nervous down there too

Don't think he has the tank to tag a midfielder. Maybe in bursts. Forward is his best spot but many are ahead of him.

DirtyDogTiger said:
I wouldn’t be surprised
Updates about contract extensions have slowed because balmey doesn’t believe in them

Us supporters want to know though Balmey! He he.

With Jack and Lynchy forward he's going to be up against it to get a game. I wouldn't mind him playing as a tagger, he would have been handy in that role against Sidebottom in the Prelim.

tigerman said:
With Jack and Lynchy forward he's going to be up against it to get a game. I wouldn't mind him playing as a tagger, he would have been handy in that role against Sidebottom in the Prelim.

Does he have the tank to go with a Sidebottom etc ? Certainly would make the player he is tagging here footsteps all game if he could go with them

You cant delist pack buster.
He played one game and destroyed 2 Collingwood players. Thats a automatic contract extension where i come from.

Really love Jacob but I am just wondering if the club is thinking he might be taking away VFL midfield time from some of the newer draftees if he gets an extension

Tigers2011 said:
Sign him for 2 years and give him a go as a midfielder/mid size forward. Ridiculous what's been done to him in 2018.

And what was that ridiculous thing that was done to him? Only kicked 12 goals in 10 games for the Tigers 8 from 9 if you discount the 4 in the first game against lowly Carlton. Pretty much all of his stats this year were down on the 5 he played in 2017. On top of that his VFL form in 7 games wasn't that great. Only figured in the bests on 2 occasions. I doubt he'll be thinking he was hard done by in 2018, more how lucky he was to experience a premiership when he virtually had a foot out the door. I think he'll be re-contracted but for another year but that's all it will be. He doesn't have the tank for midfield, it's forward or nothing.

Even if we cut him from the list, I'll be happy if we then picked him up with our first pick.

my gut feeling is, that 2017 end of season purple patch of form was a one off , he will always be loved for it , its one of the great richmond premiership stories ,

But I dont think he has it in him again , more than happy to be proven wrong on that though.

tigerlove said:
Don't think he has the tank to tag a midfielder. Maybe in bursts. Forward is his best spot but many are ahead of him.
I know little about human physics but isn't it possible to "re-train" him to become an endurance runner?

You often hear that players have trained in alternative positions/roles over a preseason to give the team more flexibility.

Surely at AFL level that would be a possibility?

ahyeahnah said:
I know little about human physics but isn't it possible to "re-train" him to become an endurance runner?

You often hear that players have trained in alternative positions/roles over a preseason to give the team more flexibility.

Surely at AFL level that would be a possibility?

I think you'll find that Towner WAS trained as a mid during the 2018 pre-season.
Didn't seem to take as all of Conca, Markov, Lloyd, C Ellis, Butler, Bolton, Smith and Baker were used in the VFL midfield before him.

kiwitiger said:
my gut feeling is, that 2017 end of season purple patch of form was a one off , he will always be loved for it , its one of the great richmond premiership stories ,

But I dont think he has it in him again , more than happy to be proven wrong on that though.

I’m not yet convinced he’ll be on the list next season.

kiwitiger said:

He looked slow as buggery this season. Didn't look that slow last season, didn't look quick or anything, but ran like he had the concrete boots on this year. I agree, regardless of what else happens, one of the great Richmond stories.