Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

Ghost of 29 said:
This was his one real weakness at APS/TAC. Has been working on it for a while but being a natural hunter of the ball it will take a few games for it to click.

Overall his performance was better than I expected. Has improved enormously

Can't speak for his APS stuff, but at TAC it wasn't really a huge issue. You're right though, natural hunter of the ball and the contest. I think he has more upside than Graham

easy said:
while everyone else is busy midgetising,

We are monstering up, without losing speed
This. And we needed to, in order to topple sides like WC and Adelaide when they are at their very best. When sides like those are on song, we always get killed in the air. Maybe no more.

Just looks like a good old fashioned footballer who knows how to find the ball. Decent kick on him as well.

French Tiger said:
Just looks like a good old fashioned footballer who knows how to find the ball. Decent kick on him as well.
Yep. Still gotta learn the pace n pressure of senior footy, but should be right for a handful of games in his first season.

tigerlove said:
I know a couple of our guns didn't play huge game time in the middle but Ross, from 59% game time, had the most disposals of our midfielders (21 equal with Dusty), most contested possies (11), most clearances (5) and still recorded a respectable 76% disposal efficiency. And he was up against a quality midfield opposition composed off Brayshaw and Oliver. I saw Ross lined up in the intraclub a lot against Cotchin in the midfield. The club obviously has a lot of respect for his abilities and he's shown why in the couple of games we've seen him so far.
Did look good, and Dermie pointed out how physically developed he was for a first year player.

Great debut, looked right at home in the heat of the battle.

Looks ready to fill depth roles as required in year one and battle for that 18-22 spot in the side for the first 12 months.

Super pick in the 40's. Stoked with it.

Lets not get carried away he was torched by Oliver and Brayshaw when playing against them at the centre bounces and ball ups.

A promising start but has a lot to learn about the defensive side of the game.

King Kong said:
Lets not get carried away he was torched by Oliver and Brayshaw when playing against them at the centre bounces and ball ups.

That's fine in game one. Getting torched by two elite mids in a game that doesn't matter is the perfect learning experience. One game worth ten.

The fact that he could offensively impact the game that much is a huge plus. In the AFL Prospectus, all drafted players have a plays like comparison, Ollie Wines was the name mentioned with Ross. Almost spat my coffee across the room when I saw that.

A good chance to play round one, replacing Grigg who'd have to doubtful and Conca. Looks ready physically, just depends on his tank.

DirtyDogTiger said:
Whoever replaces Grigg has to be an elite runner.

True, as with McIntosh who'd have to be doubtful too. Ellis with his running ability would be one, Rioli's another. Someone has to replace Conca, Ross would have to be a chance.

King Kong said:

Guess you have to weigh up what you want out of a player. Graham has great defensive skills but isn't getting a lot of the ball. Dusty gets loads of the ball but is by far our least defensive midfielder. It's a balancing act and getting the equilibrium in your game of offence and defence. One practice game in the performance of Ross has been extremely encouraging. To see he knows where to be and how to get the ball is the most important. Much harder to teach this than your defensive side.

Dare I say it? He bears a strong passing physical resemblance to a certain Brownlow/Norm Smith Medallist who is already on our list. Not sure if he plays quite like him, I think he is more Ben Cunnington than Dustin Martin but a great prospect for us nonetheless.

TOT70 said:
Dare I say it? He bears a strong passing physical resemblance to a certain Brownlow/Norm Smith Medallist who is already on our list. Not sure if he plays quite like him, I think he is more Ben Cunnington than Dustin Martin but a great prospect for us nonetheless.

A bit of the Mark Coughlan's about him too, early days though.

tigerman said:
A bit of the Mark Coughlan's about him too, early days though.

Agree, good comparison. Around the same draft pick also. Cogga was pick 25

With both Dusty and Cotch getting rested in the last quarter, we got polaxed for contested ball and centre clearances.
Oliver, Harmes and Brayshaw winning it at will. Our defenders, especially Rance and Broad saved us getting beaten but slingshot football won't cut it in the big time.
We actually need Ross in the team, as we're light on for big bodied contested ball winners.
On his stats alone, cannot be dropped. Repeats that effort against Dawks and he's a shoe in.

TOT70 said:

J Selwood (without the ducking).