Ins/outs next week | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ins/outs next week

tigergollywog said:
I like the look of that side babysheepbarryrowlings. I am glad youve stuck with Edwards, he had 9 tackles on Sunday, twice as many as any other tiger which tells me hes working his arse off. Was he on Davey at all? I am also RAPT out of my brain with Troy Taylors debut and I reckon it was better than Astburys (which is saying something). TT had 12 possessions and 4 tackles in a flogging, but what I noticed (on TV) was the way he gets himself to the fall of the ball in the forward 50. I reckon he will end up a 190cm freaky goal sneak who kicks 60 goals in a year. I am also glad you brought Polo back in. I am a fan of his. I would have dropped Tambling, but I like the look of your side so much, I'll give him one more week. Whats the thinking behind Moreton in the middle? I like MM in our side, happy with the belief that he is a one trick pony - a clever goal sneak who demands a clever defender.

I think Mitch was a mid as a junior wasn't he? To me he looks like a midfielder who plays above his weight forward. With the game changing a lot is about using the ball in transition and I think Mitch is a clever player, probably not an extractor but has improved his inside work and one percenters over time.
More importantly he is a goal kicker and he can be a forward of the ball mid/finisher. Can rotate forward with Tambling and Edwards or off the bench with some grunters.

Once you develop some fiinshers off half back, you can push Cotchin and Deledio in the midfield. Hopefully Morton can add to the quantum mass of midfielders who can use the ball and allow us to build up our uncontested stats and possession game.

A lot of footy is about structure and chemistry. That's why I suggest the two pale skin talls ;D and the four brothers up forward. I'd like to se if there is any Krakour type telepathy there. It woud be good to see some uninhibited instinctive forward play from Edwards, Tambling, Taylor and Roberts. Also the scope for defensive pressure is huge from those players.

On Troy, how about his tackle to set up Reiwoldt for the first goal - took no prisoners.

The other great thing about Troy is that he is that third tall and small at the same time. Really gives you some flexibility on how to structure up forward. If Griffths plays full forward and you have Astbury and Jack there you can still have some real forward pressure with a couple of good defensive flankers/small.

Tigers of Old said:
Taylor certainly looked a lot more likely than Roberts.

Taylor looked alright in his debut. Could easily have kicked 3 goals to boot.

I understand Roberts kicked 3 for Coburg but did he actually get much of the ball for those in the know??

Lets hope both these boys make it.

Rfc4Ever said:
Taylor looked alright in his debut. Could easily have kicked 3 goals to boot.

I understand Roberts kicked 3 for Coburg but did he actually get much of the ball for those in the know??

Lets hope both these boys make it.

The reports on Roberts were that he used the ball very well - might be in the richmondfc or Coburg write up.

There's lttle doubting his skill - its just a question of running ability and handling the physical aspect at AFL level.

Subi - surrounded by fellow NT boys Taylor and Richie - is worth a shot.

Can't have Dea in the team, you can't play a game like that and get another one the next week. He'll probably end up a good player, not potting him, just think he shouldnt play next week. Astbury was good, keep him in. Taylor looks like a clever player, very casual though, wouldn't mind either way with him.

Would like to see Hislop dropped, and (much to the dismay and horror of all here on PRE) would like to see Kingy replace him. They are both average footballers, but King just works that *smile* hard that I'd like to see him rewarded, plus he is very entertaining to watch.

Edwards dropped forever, will say it time and time again don't know what people see in him. He's not quick, his disposal isn't great and he's not strong, not sure what he has to offer. Some say he played a good game the other week against Sydney, if thats a good game he's in some trouble.

So for me: Out Dea, Edwards Hislop
In McGuane, Cousins, King,

For me, a forward line built around Jack, Astbury, Taylor, Morton, and Roberts looks looks to have a future. Some marking, smarts and flash. Really we need a big tall as well to complete the picture. Hopefully Griff or even Goo can become that missing piece.

A midfield of Hislop, Edwards and White, on the other hand ... the improvement in kicking and decision making seem to be a long way off.

Dea needs more time at Coburg. McGuane, Willy T should come and give the back some more size (well, as much height and strength as they have)

So for me
outs are Hislop, Edwards, White, Dea
ins are Cuz, McGuane, Willy T, Roberts

Tuck back into the guts - perhaps swapping with Morton (the idea of Tuck as a hff seems to be a good one; and Morton needs to get more involved).

TygerTyger said:
For me, a forward line built around Jack, Astbury, Taylor, Morton, and Roberts looks looks to have a future. Some marking, smarts and flash. Really we need a big tall as well to complete the picture. Hopefully Griff or even Goo can become that missing piece.

Roberts will have to increase his tackling pressure by 100% in my opinion to be apart of the foward line.

I think Dea is going to be a good player for us but I think he should be dropped after his display on the weekend. He will know where to improve and then when he does give him another opportunity in the near future (couple of weeks).

I know the young guys need games under their belts but they also need to know they have to earn it too.

lamb22 said:
I think Mitch was a mid as a junior wasn't he? To me he looks like a midfielder who plays above his weight forward.

I worry about his speed and endurance for the midfield. Would be great to have a Chapman type if he could become one but I have my doubts. Also think he would be exposed defensively in the midfield (much like Tuck is)

Think he will be better suited as a HFF/FP with a couple of talls around him giving him the opportunity to work over a 3rd or 4th choice defender

Big Cat Lover said:
I worry about his speed and endurance for the midfield. Would be great to have a Chapman type if he could become one but I have my doubts. Also think he would be exposed defensively in the midfield (much like Tuck is)

Think he will be better suited as a HFF/FP with a couple of talls around him giving him the opportunity to work over a 3rd or 4th choice defender

You could be right BCL but it is a good time to try. Morton couldn't be as bad as Tuck defensively. Tuck just ignores any defensive duties, Mitch would at least try to get into the right spaces and/or man up when necessary. He is also quicker than Tuck. Should help Mitch's overall game as well.

With rotations, the endurance factor can be managed. If we get a discount version of Chapman or Hird you'd be dancing in the streets.

PS I'm more worried about Morton's honker than his tank as Astbury's shoulder made a real mess of it on the weekend.

The way things are panning out we could have another big turnover this week.

In - Newman, Cousins, Foley, Thursfield, McGuane.
Out - Farmer, Hislop, White, Dea, Post/Rance.

I'd also consider leaving big Simmo at home for a week and giving Browne a shot. It's not like either of them are gonna get a hitout against Sandilands anyway. Reckon a rest for Simmonds ever 4-5 weeks is about mandatory this season if we are hoping he can no.1 ruck through the season.

tigergollywog said:
I like the look of that side babysheepbarryrowlings. I am glad youve stuck with Edwards, he had 9 tackles on Sunday, twice as many as any other tiger which tells me hes working his arse off. Was he on Davey at all? I am also RAPT out of my brain with Troy Taylors debut and I reckon it was better than Astburys (which is saying something). TT had 12 possessions and 4 tackles in a flogging, but what I noticed (on TV) was the way he gets himself to the fall of the ball in the forward 50. I reckon he will end up a 190cm freaky goal sneak who kicks 60 goals in a year. I am also glad you brought Polo back in. I am a fan of his. I would have dropped Tambling, but I like the look of your side so much, I'll give him one more week. Whats the thinking behind Moreton in the middle? I like MM in our side, happy with the belief that he is a one trick pony - a clever goal sneak who demands a clever defender.

Don't think TT had those stats. 8 possies and 1 tackle would be the correct figures. Did show good signs though. Looks silky smoothe and could be special if he has the tank and work ethic to go along with it. I fell in love with Astbury in the intra-club during the pre-season and from what he showed last Sunday, we have a gun/class KPP. Looks like being a great draft for us.

GO TIGES!!!

3 debutants will get another game.

McGuane, Polo and Cousins to come in for Hislop, White and Rance.

Smoking Aces said:
3 debutants will get another game.

McGuane, Polo and Cousins to come in for Hislop, White and Rance.

Not sure if that's your prediction or you've found it. If it's the latter then other than Rance who I think showed enough to try again, it's fine.

Baloo said:
Not sure if that's your prediction or you've found it. If it's the latter then other than Rance who I think showed enough to try again, it's fine.
Just my prediction Baloo.

I am pretty sure throughout the course of the week that Hardwick has publicly stated that the debutants will get another game this week.

As for the in's and outs its what I think might happen.