Ins/outs next week | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ins/outs next week

We're playing at Subiaco and Sandilands will be a problem, so:

IN:
McGuane, Thursfield, Cousins, McMahon

OUT:
Farmer, Edwards, Hislop, Post

Only Sandilands saved Simmo. We have no-one else to compete against him.
And Subiaco is probably the only ground I'd play McMahon on. The wide open spaces suit him. He doesn't have to climb the fence to get out of the way.

Tigers of Old said:
Out forever: Hislop, Simmonds

Can join them at Coburg for now:
Farmer (no)
Tuck (don't let the possession count fool you)
Dea (clearly short of the level atm)

You forgot White in your out forever list there, ToO. He was disgraceful.

Can't see McMahon coming from Coburgs seconds to AFL.

Thought Nason might have got a spell next week, he's been good, but has taken some hits, and his slight frame won't stand up to that treatment week in week out. Hislop should be gone, and Farmer's done nothing to excite me yet. Dea needs to string some games together at some level, just to find his feet. Astbury showed a bit, but ran out of steam, Post seems lost at the moment.

Polo Thursfield Moore
Deledio McGuanne Newman
Cotchin Martin Nason
Cousins Riewolt Morton
Taylor Astbury Nahas
Graham, Jackson, Foley
Int- Vickery, Collins, Tuck, Tambling

OUT-Hislop, White, Edwards, Simmo, Farmer, Rance, Dea, Post.
IN- Newman, McGuanne, Cousins, Polo, Graham, Foley, Nahas, Thursfield

bigwow said:
Can't see McMahon coming from Coburgs seconds to AFL.

Thought Nason might have got a spell next week, he's been good, but has taken some hits, and his slight frame won't stand up to that treatment week in week out.

Agree. Nason needs to be rested otherwise we will break him

OUT : White (not senior material), Edwards (enough chances, get confidence in VFL), Post (he needs confidence as well), (vickery lucky to stay in, big ruck job this week saves him)

IN : Cousins, Newman (if fit), Graham/Browne (to help Sandilands domination)

If Collins injured, Polo or King in

Dea gets another game - we aren't going to win, so lets see what they have, unfair to do that in one game although Dea was less than spectacular
Farmer can at least kick from what i see
Tuck has a place in team

wouldn't be risky anyone that isn't 100% with the travel including Newman, Thursfield, Collins, and especially Foley - nothing to gain in doing otherwise

One thing that stands out more then anything else at the game is that we are very little, we really need to get some size out there and other then probally thirsty and Jack doing well this season as kpp, nobody else is doing much, so I would very much like to see the goo get a gig( yes I know his a rookie) however can't see any harm in getting him on the park at either end. Very dissapoined in Farmer at this point looks very much a vfl level player

Tough challenge for the Tigers yesterday; Missing Newman, McGuane & Thursfield didn't help, forcing Hardick to play both Deledio & Cotchin behind the ball for most of the game and using both Dea & Farmer to compensate for the loss of Newman.
The absence of Foley is really hurting the Tigers in the midfield. When you add this scenario, no wonder we slowly got smashed in the midfield after half time.
Having both McGuane & Thursfield in the side to assist Moore's good form yesterday would be a bonus.
As strange as this sounds, I'd continue playing Deledio in a sweeper half back role (ala Luke Hodge). He's a good kick, mark and rebounds well.
I dont mind if Cotchin has to play the 'defensive' midfield role. Again, this provides us with a player who has poise and uses the ball well.
Astbury & Rievoldt are not Jonathan Brown and Brendan Fevola, but they are both our best options (along with Post) to fill the forward line with some structure.
Let Morton & Tambling or Nahas fill the remaining voids.
Taylor & Vickory provide much needed rotations in the respective positions they are better suited - Vickory can ruck and play forward.
The biggest problem at the moment is getting something out of the likes of Hislop, White, Simmonds, Tambling & "others".

given that the three boys who debuted this week hadn't exactly being tearing it up in the twos is there a chance we may see more debuts this week...griffiths perhaps?

jayvee said:
Could someone please tell me what's happening with Angus Graham

he's gone backwards, in fact, it's pretty to hard to say if anyones improved, apart from conners i guess. maybe riewoldt as well.

To some extent should we not just go down the path (and yes try to keep structure as well ) and say to the newbiews, you will all get a run of 5 continuous weeks in the seniors this year to see what you can do.

How many years in the past have we tried the same people week in week out, year in year out and scratch our heads becasue our team has never progressed. Frawley was a great exponent of backing his seniors to the hilt (even when performing badly - bowden great case in mind - when finally got dropped came back a better player) to the detriment of youngsters coming through. I remember when he sacked knights and said it will be an opportunity for new players to get a taste of AFL. He did not blood a single new player after knights was given the flick, he just went back to ones he had tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried before.

Noting ventured nothing gained and we can not afford not to blood new players.

Just my humble opinion

Happened to run into a former players father a couple of weeks ago who said that according to his son that Angus was the dumbest footballer he's ever come across - had to be told by the runner during Coburg games where to run to on the field!

I reckon with Lade being the ruck coach he'd have a pretty good idea where Angus is at and if he isn't up to the grade then we may not see much of him. And if Browne is struggling as well then you would think that come national draft later in the year a ruck is going to up near the top of the list as a major requirement.

Also reckon that Blair Hartley must be scouring through every other clubs young ruck stocks to see if there's someone we can target come trade week ala the Swans with Mumford.

TimTamMan said:
To some extent should we not just go down the path (and yes try to keep structure as well ) and say to the newbiews, you will all get a run of 5 continuous weeks in the seniors this year to see what you can do.

How many years in the past have we tried the same people week in week out, year in year out and scratch our heads becasue our team has never progressed. Frawley was a great exponent of backing his seniors to the hilt (even when performing badly - bowden great case in mind - when finally got dropped came back a better player) to the detriment of youngsters coming through. I remember when he sacked knights and said it will be an opportunity for new players to get a taste of AFL. He did not blood a single new player after knights was given the flick, he just went back to ones he had tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried before.

Noting ventured nothing gained and we can not afford not to blood new players.

Just my humble opinion

Completely agree. Keep playing the kids - nason, Dea, Astbury, Taylor, Vickery etc - these kids are the future. Forget bringing in King, McMahon, Polo and these blokes - we know what they have to offer. I would be getting players like Griffiths, Browne, Webberly etc in as soon as they are ready . Yes we will get smashed, however the more games these kids get now the better off the club will be 2,3,4 years down the track. They did it at the Hawks when Hardwick was there - Roughead, Young etc all got a decent run at it and the Hawks have now got their reward for sticking with these guys through bad times. We must do the same - i trust DH to see this out.

Assuming Newman & Thursty miss because of hammies and the debutants play again and Tucky stays, I'd go

Dea Moore Polo
Deledio Luke Cotchin
Martin Morton Nason
Tambling Astbury Edwards
Taylor Jack Roberts
Simmonds Foley Cousins

Vickery Tuck Jackson Collins

Em: Post King Nahas

lamb22 said:
Assuming Newman & Thursty miss because of hammies and the debutants play again and Tucky stays, I'd go

Dea Moore Polo
Deledio Luke Cotchin
Martin Morton Nason
Tambling Astbury Edwards
Taylor Jack Roberts
Simmonds Foley Cousins

Vickery Tuck Jackson Collins

Em: Post King Nahas

I like the look of that side babysheepbarryrowlings. I am glad youve stuck with Edwards, he had 9 tackles on Sunday, twice as many as any other tiger which tells me hes working his arse off. Was he on Davey at all? I am also RAPT out of my brain with Troy Taylors debut and I reckon it was better than Astburys (which is saying something). TT had 12 possessions and 4 tackles in a flogging, but what I noticed (on TV) was the way he gets himself to the fall of the ball in the forward 50. I reckon he will end up a 190cm freaky goal sneak who kicks 60 goals in a year. I am also glad you brought Polo back in. I am a fan of his. I would have dropped Tambling, but I like the look of your side so much, I'll give him one more week. Whats the thinking behind Moreton in the middle? I like MM in our side, happy with the belief that he is a one trick pony - a clever goal sneak who demands a clever defender.