Hunt or Folau??? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hunt or Folau???

Who would you prefer at the RFC if you had to choose one!

• Folau

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • Hunt

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters
Brodders17 said:
fair enough re basketball.
disagree a little re gaelic footy. i take your point re kicking, and kicking is a skill that i think most converts do struggle with (except kennelly). that ones that do make find a way to get their kicking to an acceptable standard. i think tho besides the shape of the ball the games are quite similar and require similar attributes.
The athletic qualities have some similarities in relation to the need for outright speed and stamina, however you only need to look at the physiques to see a significant difference in the wiry gaelic players who are built for speed without having to worry about getting tackled. If anything league players are closer to the build required for AFL than gaelic players are.

I sort of hope they revolutionise the game from the modern trend of fast little twigs running around and get focused on building players up and having more strength and contested footy.

Also I reckon there may be more to this

The AFL are going to need bigger pools. Both talent and money
If the signing Hunt and Izzy get AFL on the regular tele is Sydney - Then it's a big win for the AFL

Also if the signings attract some of the kids playing rugby into AFL, then that's also a big win.
The islanders, kiwi's, samoans etc would be just as good a prospect as an Irish, Africans or whatever
Plus its close to home, their mates etc.

I dont think its just a marketing ploy, if it is it's a really dumb one.
If Izzy and Hunt cant play, cant get a game and cant draw a crowd, then the whole thing will backfire big time.

So i reckon the AFL have taken a longer term view on this, we need more Sydney money and we need more potential players.

Hunt is apparently debuting in the GC against Coburg on the 12th June - if that eventuates there could be a number of onlookers in the crowd - it'll be spot the AFL official!

puregreen said:
Hunt is apparently debuting in the GC against Coburg on the 12th June - if that eventuates there could be a number of onlookers in the crowd - it'll be spot the AFL official!

It's being shown live on TV.

There's a surprise, Demestos staging an AFL media frenzy on the day the World Cup kicks off.

It would be great if a good number of other teams start throwing time, effort and cash at NRL players as it will leave more AFL players for us!

Pods, Barlow... Nason, there have to be more of these types out there.

ZeroGame said:
Except GoodOne was arguing why basketball is easier to make the transition
Basketball is completely different to AFL, so how if we have successful basketball converts who never kick the ball at all, can someone not convert from league?

Also gaelic may have similarities, however it still involves a kicking a round ball which is massively different to kicking the oval ball, that's why it still takes just as long for the gaelic players to adjust to kicking it at an elite level. At the end of the day, all sports are completely different to AFL and an elite sportsman who is a natural at anything they try is just as likely to make it as any other that has had a crack. In fact given they are elite in their own sport I'd say they are more likely than not to make it.

My reference to basketball was in particular about aerobic fitness levels and the 360 degree aspect, not that it is significantly easier to transition from basketball to AFL than it is rugby to AFL.

If you can't see that the transition from Gaelic to AFL would be alot easier than rugby to AFL then there is probably no point continuing the discussion.

GoodOne said:
My reference to basketball was in particular about aerobic fitness levels and the 360 degree aspect, not that it is significantly easier to transition from basketball to AFL than it is rugby to AFL.

If you can't see that the transition from Gaelic to AFL would be alot easier than rugby to AFL then there is probably no point continuing the discussion.
I would hardly call basketball a 360 degree sport, you really are grasping as straws, when you have the ball the defenders all run down the other end and face towards you.
Also I'm not saying gaelic to afl is easier than rugby to AFL, however there are still enough differences to make is a massive change
What I am suggesting is that it would be no harder to transition from a sport like basketball than it would for a league player

ZeroGame said:
I would hardly call basketball a 360 degree sport, you really are grasping as straws, when you have the ball the defenders all run down the other end and face towards you.
Also I'm not saying gaelic to afl is easier than rugby to AFL, however there are still enough differences to make is a massive change
What I am suggesting is that it would be no harder to transition from a sport like basketball than it would for a league player

Basketball certainly is a 360 degree sport. You obviously haven't played it but it requires awareness all around you, unlike rugby where the majority of what is happening is in front of you. It's arguable whether it would be harder or easier for a basketballer than a rugby player. I think there are a number of factors so in the end it probably would be line ball. It is known though that in Victoria at least, there are alot of prospective footballers who are lost to basketball. In many cases, these youngsters have played both and make a decision in teenage life. And that is why I think there is a greater number of basketballers changing back to AFL than rugby players. In fact, until now, how many rugby playars have there been that have successfully moved from rugby to AFL?

Interesting to see on the NRL Footy Show them showing footage of Greg Ingliss mucking around at training, he picked up a Sherrin and drilled a goal from about 50m 5-10 m in from the boundary line. It wasn't a mongrel punt either, a bit high in the air but it still went about 70 meters as it went miles into the stands.
When being interviewed he said he didn't just think about it, he just kicked it, some athletes just have a natural ability to succeed at any sport, it's why you see so many juniors coming through who had to choose AFL over another sport.

He also didn't rule out a change of codes and said he couldn't ever see himself lining up to play against the Storm if they pull the team apart at the end of the year. That's would have to sound the warning bells at NRL headquarters to know that probably the best player in their competition is considering the AFL aswell.

If he does come to AFL, we should definitely try to sign him, we have plenty of room in the cap.

Inglis is one that would have all the physical attributes that you could possibly hope for ,

His only negative is his attitude, and this rarely gets mentioned by the media who have a massive manlove for him but he can be very lazy ,

Some games he hardly looks interested .

Of the two that have signed, I would think hunt has the better attitude, very competitive nature, not a very big man by but thrives on physical contact , when he picks up the game (if) I can see him having a reputation as a hard nut .

Baloo said:
There's a surprise, Demestos staging an AFL media frenzy on the day the World Cup kicks off.

Surely you jest? You trying to say Demetriou has organised for Hunt to make his debut to distract from the WC opening? He's organised the french rugby league finals and Hunts team exit from it? He's arranged for Hunt to arrive back here just in time to make his debut the same day as the WC opening? He directs the VFL anf GC to play Hunt on this day?

Even if you want to beleive in consipracy theories whats wrong with "Demetriou" organising Hunts to debut on the same day as the WC opening? "He" is trying to maximmise Hunts exposure considering the money paid to him. That's the biggest part of Hun t transferring codes isnt it? PR?

tigertim said:
Surely you jest? You trying to say Demetriou has organised for Hunt to make his debut to distract from the WC opening? He's organised the french rugby league finals and Hunts team exit from it? He's arranged for Hunt to arrive back here just in time to make his debut the same day as the WC opening? He directs the VFL anf GC to play Hunt on this day?

Even if you want to beleive in consipracy theories whats wrong with "Demetriou" organising Hunts to debut on the same day as the WC opening? "He" is trying to maximmise Hunts exposure considering the money paid to him. That's the biggest part of Hun t transferring codes isnt it? PR?

yeah, you're right, Demestos would be that petty and conniving when it comes to soccer.

What has he done to distract from tomorrow night's women tennis final featuring Aussie's onw Stosur? We can ill afford our budding footy juniors turning to tennis.

GoodOne said:
What has he done to distract from tomorrow night's women tennis final featuring Aussie's onw Stosur? We can ill afford our budding footy juniors turning to tennis.

Can you beleive it? He's gone and scheduled a bloody football match!

kiwitiger said:
Inglis is one that would have all the physical attributes that you could possibly hope for ,

His only negative is his attitude, and this rarely gets mentioned by the media who have a massive manlove for him but he can be very lazy ,

Some games he hardly looks interested .

Of the two that have signed, I would think hunt has the better attitude, very competitive nature, not a very big man by but thrives on physical contact , when he picks up the game (if) I can see him having a reputation as a hard nut .

Article in the Herald Sun saying that Essendon are in discussions with his management to get him to come to AFL
Saying he doesn't want to leave Melbourne after moving his whole family down here

ZeroGame said:
Article in the Herald Sun saying that Essendon are in discussions with his management to get him to come to AFL
Saying he doesn't want to leave Melbourne after moving his whole family down here

Essendon can have him. Not a real big fan of his work ethic.

ZeroGame said:

Dont want to leave Melbourne after moving my whole family down here = I'm jealous of Hunt and Folau so I want someone to offer me $1mill a year to stay in Melbourne

Streak said:
Essendon can have him. Not a real big fan of his work ethic.
His work ethic has been discussed in the papers before as his majory flaw as a developing player
However with his current work ethic, even if you do say it's poor, he's the best player in the NRL