Hunt or Folau??? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hunt or Folau???

Who would you prefer at the RFC if you had to choose one!

• Folau

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • Hunt

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters
GoodOne said:
Ridiculous comment...

Why because you disagree?

Disagree with the politics of it. Don't mask that as a view that it's impossible Folau will be make it.

GoodOne said:
History suggests it will be very very difficult.

Actually there isn't much history to point at.

Meh. We'll all know in a few years.

Okay I'll concede that you don't wish failure on him.

I'm not convinced that all the naysayers are like you :)

brigadiertiger said:
Stynes came from a non AFL background and he di dpretty well Kennelly hasn't done that bad throw in O'hailpin as well. Pyke in Sydney is holding his spot on the list depsite coming from a Union background. At 21 Folau has time and the ability to hold his own may never be the superstar he is in League but will be a handy player.

I'd have alot more confidence in Folau making it if he had a Gaelic Football background. All of Stynes, Kennelly and O'Hailpin had played Gaelic footy at one level or another. Games at least have many similarities in concept. Pyke is an exception but he can hardly be called a success just yet. Has played 4 games this year and amassed 9 kicks in total. Is doing OK in the ruck contests but he is a big lug, 200cm and 105kgs. At least Folau has what, a year and a half or more to practise the skills. But odds are against him.

velo said:
Okay I'll concede that you don't wish failure on him.

I'm not convinced that all the naysayers are like you :)

It would be awesome to see a player of his athletic ability rip it up in the AFL. Although raw and inconsistent, I just love watching Natanui play.

When i watching Folau playing for the Storm,i had a feeling he could make the switch with his huge leap and his pace down the wings.
He has 18 months to learn the basic skills and rules,with K.Sheedy as his number one coach.

A slow build-up next year playing for GWS starting in the V.F.L reserves,Learning the team structures and strategies should be enough to get him over the line .
Let him run around as a tall wingman, who can jump over packs. :)
Still i do see him going back to rugby after the four years.

I'll watch some footage of Karmichael-Hunt before i make a call on him.

I also heard that there maybe a few other names making the switch.

Definitely Folau, given his height (195cm), marking ability, strength and elite speed he could definitely be turned into a dangerous key forward.
Hunt is only 186cm so he needs to learn midfield which is a far bigger ask.

Far easier to teach a guy who is super talented at marking the ball to lead to the right spots so someone can kick it to him than it is to teach a guy midfield patterns, reading the play and quality kicking skills so they can kick it to a leading forward.

GoodOne said:
Really? Can you name the half of the team you'd have Folau instead of?

Thursfield
King
Thomson
Browne
Hislop
Westhoff
McGuane
Polak
Collins
Edwards
Cousins
Dea
Farmer
Grimes
McMahon
Polo
White

... Is that half?

I reckon they will both struggle skill wise and in a lack of awareness, i wonder how they will deal with opponents coming from all sides rather than just front on. Good luck to them but that is a million dollars being spent on Martin/Riewoldt.

tannerztigers said:
Westhoff
Dea
Grimes
how can you possibly have seen these guys play enough to consider swaping them for somone who is not only older ( so more physically built) and from a totally different sport?

Lets call it for what it is with these two blokes.
I do not honestly believe that the AFL give two hoots as to whether or not they make it. Its a marketing tool.
Can they make it? Well, if Hunt was fair dinkum, he would have hung around and learnt the game as soon as he signed instead of heading off to France. enough said there.
As for Folau, I honestly think that this guy is really up against it. He plays wing in RL where he just has to run up and down the sidelines and do the Maori sidestep through a couple of defenders. No 360 degree vision needed. Interestingly, the Storm have come out today and said that the guy had no aerobic capacity at all.
Best of luck to both these guys though as they will find out how heavy the AFL media can scrutinise.
If RFC had signed them, the Dud - Delist would have been ringing out real quick.

Wouldn't want either but if I had to it would be Hunt.

ZeroGame said:
Definitely Folau, given his height (195cm), marking ability, strength and elite speed he could definitely be turned into a dangerous key forward.
Hunt is only 186cm so he needs to learn midfield which is a far bigger ask.

I don't get it. Israel could be a key forward, but many at PRE think Jack - who I think is the same size - is too small for a key forward.
Israel looks bigger then he really is because NRL players are typically not as tall as AFL players and Israel stands out from the crowd.

Now that wouldn't be a bad idea. The AFL should let every team in the AFL poach a League, Union or Soccer player for their list with the AFL tipping in 500k pa of marketing budget.

Knowing our luck we'd end up with Willy Mason.

poppa x said:
I don't get it. Israel could be a key forward, but many at PRE think Jack - who I think is the same size - is too small for a key forward.
Israel looks bigger then he really is because NRL players are typically not as tall as AFL players and Israel stands out from the crowd.
I don't think Jack is quite 195cm, however Israel is also over 100kg, Jack still needs to stack on some weight.
When you think about it Jack isn't really much of a lead and mark traditional kpp, he plays smaller and smarter than that. He's definitely kpp size, but not sure he has the straight line speed so needs to rely more on smarts.

I think it wouldn't be too hard to teach Israel to be a leading forward, he's clearly a gifted athlete and has all the tools. Just need to teach him to kick straight.

GoodOne said:
I'd have alot more confidence in Folau making it if he had a Gaelic Football background. All of Stynes, Kennelly and O'Hailpin had played Gaelic footy at one level or another.

There are a few mentions of O'Hailpin and his Gaelic backgound on this thread. The O'Hailpin family come from Hurling not Gaelic, though he did play Gaelic growing up - Hunt played AFL as a junior. I think that it could be argued that Hurling is as, if not more, different to AFL as Rugby. O'Hailpin is possibly therefore the example of a player that has successfully made the late transition to Aussie rules. Add Dean Brogan and possibly Pyke from Sydney who might be a player and there are a few examples of people who have made it from sports other than Gaelic.

If we could afford to do it then I would be hughly in favor of recruiting a gun from another sport. We need to be doing something different to our competitors. At the end of the day there are now 17 other teams contesting for only 1 premiership. We need to be thinking ahead of the other 17, not just continually playing catch up.

Hunt. Played aussie rules as a junior. Kicks the footy in Rugby League. Had a go at Union where kicking the footy is common. Folau doesn't kick, suspect has never touched a Sherrin and probably doesn't even have a handle on the rules. Yes, he is one of the only players in League to take the ball above his head but all AFL players can do this anyway.

BrisTiger24 said:
Yes, he is one of the only players in League to take the ball above his head but all AFL players can do this anyway.

Except Rance, and Polak during one of our pre-season games apparently.