Hunt or Folau??? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hunt or Folau???

Who would you prefer at the RFC if you had to choose one!

• Folau

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • Hunt

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters
BrisTiger24 said:
Yes, he is one of the only players in League to take the ball above his head but all AFL players can do this anyway.
Not that many can do it as well as he can

You would logically think that K.Hunt has a head start on Folau, having played Aussie Rules at junior level. Interestingly Mark Browning was interviewed in the media back when the Hunt deal was done. He had worked for AFL Queensland in some sort of development capacity when Hunt was playing school footy up there. Said that he thought at the time that he was definately a capable enough kid to be drafted into the AFL. But then we know being good enough to be drafted as a kid is never a guarantee that a player ends up good enough as he matures. Being RFC supporters, we of anyone should know this :(

In reality though this really is a marketing exercise. I suppose it is suitable risk to take for the unique situation that these new start up clubs are in. Not saying that it is impossible for either of the two fellas to make it and best of luck to them if they do. But I suspect that the AFL, GWS and GCFC will be thinking along the lines of it being a bonus if they do make it.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but when Israel was asked how he'll go in the transition to a sport he's never played he replied along the lines of "I spent 2 years in Melbourne with the Storm and saw a few games of AFL"!!!!

tigertim said:
Not sure if this has been mentioned but when Israel was asked how he'll go in the transition to a sport he's never played he replied along the lines of "I spent 2 years in Melbourne with the Storm and saw a few games of AFL"!!!!

On this note, I wonder how some of the bloggers on here would go running around playing AFL at the highest level when you consider many have probably attended hundreds of games? :hihi

I would want neither. They aren't real footballers. I don't believe they can change codes and adapt. Both signings are ridiculous and they don't deserve all the money when we don't even know if they can play the game.

Max said:
There are a few mentions of O'Hailpin and his Gaelic backgound on this thread. The O'Hailpin family come from Hurling not Gaelic, though he did play Gaelic growing up - Hunt played AFL as a junior. I think that it could be argued that Hurling is as, if not more, different to AFL as Rugby. O'Hailpin is possibly therefore the example of a player that has successfully made the late transition to Aussie rules. Add Dean Brogan and possibly Pyke from Sydney who might be a player and there are a few examples of people who have made it from sports other than Gaelic.

If we could afford to do it then I would be hughly in favor of recruiting a gun from another sport. We need to be doing something different to our competitors. At the end of the day there are now 17 other teams contesting for only 1 premiership. We need to be thinking ahead of the other 17, not just continually playing catch up.

The point is O'Hailpin did play Gaelic at some stage of his life. Folau has not. For this reason you could argue that Hunt has a better chance than Folau. Pyke hasn't made it yet. * games does not make a successful career. Brogan is a good one, except that basketball is much closer in terms of fitness and style of play to AFL than rugby. Once again he is a ruckman. There is a trend here. For every one that has successfully trangressed sports, think of all those who have not, those who tried but not even made it to an AFL list. Not to say this won't change in the future, it probably will, but there is little evidence to suggest that there is anything but a small chance of either of these two players making it a success.

GoodOne said:
The point is O'Hailpin did play Gaelic at some stage of his life. Folau has not. For this reason you could argue that Hunt has a better chance than Folau. Pyke hasn't made it yet. * games does not make a successful career. Brogan is a good one, except that basketball is much closer in terms of fitness and style of play to AFL than rugby. Once again he is a ruckman. There is a trend here. For every one that has successfully trangressed sports, think of all those who have not, those who tried but not even made it to an AFL list. Not to say this won't change in the future, it probably will, but there is little evidence to suggest that there is anything but a small chance of either of these two players making it a success.

Would like to see a list of "failed" Irish and other International experiments. Apart from Stynes, Sean Wight and Kennelly most others have either failed or had moderate success ie Quinn, Marty Clarke.

Probably better just to concentrate on VFL/SANFL/WAFL players?

tigertim said:
Would like to see a list of "failed" Irish and other International experiments. Apart from Stynes, Sean Wight and Kennelly most others have either failed or had moderate success ie Quinn, Marty Clarke.

Probably better just to concentrate on VFL/SANFL/WAFL players?

Personally I think gaelic players are the best international breeding ground for AFL. Other than the professional aspet the games are very similar in concept and would be most easily adaptable. Have the Tigers ver tragetted an Irish out of interest? I can't remember any.

GoodOne said:
Personally I think gaelic players are the best international breeding ground for AFL. Other than the professional aspet the games are very similar in concept and would be most easily adaptable. Have the Tigers ver tragetted an Irish out of interest? I can't remember any.
O'Reilly. He's on our Rookie List.

IMO both will fail.But what an embarrassment to the NRL that GOOSE David Gallop is. Firstly he crumbles to the sydneycentric morons and announces penalties on Storm's breaches that are way over the top; then, as there's a mass exodus of players from rugby league, he draws an analogy with the Richmond Football club. Shut your mouth *smile* face, and get you facts right first.

tiger12 said:
IMO both will fail.But what an embarrassment to the NRL that GOOSE David Gallop is. Firstly he crumbles to the sydneycentric morons and announces penalties on Storm's breaches that are way over the top; then, as there's a mass exodus of players from rugby league, he draws an analogy with the Richmond Football club. Shut your mouth *smile* face, and get you facts right first.
Spot on t12

GoodOne said:
I'm sorry, but that's just a bunch of excuses for why some sports transition better than others with absolutely no trace of evidence what so ever.
You're grasping at straws if you ask me.

ZeroGame said:
I'm sorry, but that's just a bunch of excuses for why some sports transition better than others with absolutely no trace of evidence what so ever.
You're grasping at straws if you ask me.
it is easier to transfer from rugby league to rugby union than it is to transfer from AFL to rugby union. i think thats a fact.
why because the games are similar, the skills needed are similar, attributes like vision and awareness are similar.
because of these reasons i think it is reasonable to assume it is easier to transfer from Gaelic football to AFL than it is from rugby or basketball to AFL.

Brodders17 said:
it is easier to transfer from rugby league to rugby union than it is to transfer from AFL to rugby union. i think thats a fact.
why because the games are similar, the skills needed are similar, attributes like vision and awareness are similar.
because of these reasons i think it is reasonable to assume it is easier to transfer from Gaelic football to AFL than it is from rugby or basketball to AFL.
Except GoodOne was arguing why basketball is easier to make the transition
Basketball is completely different to AFL, so how if we have successful basketball converts who never kick the ball at all, can someone not convert from league?

Also gaelic may have similarities, however it still involves a kicking a round ball which is massively different to kicking the oval ball, that's why it still takes just as long for the gaelic players to adjust to kicking it at an elite level. At the end of the day, all sports are completely different to AFL and an elite sportsman who is a natural at anything they try is just as likely to make it as any other that has had a crack. In fact given they are elite in their own sport I'd say they are more likely than not to make it.

tannerztigers said:
Thursfield
King
Thomson
Browne
Hislop
Westhoff
McGuane
Polak
Collins
Edwards
Cousins
Dea
Farmer
Grimes
McMahon
Polo
White

... Is that half?

Whether or not the leaguies end up as quality AFL players isn't really the point when you see that list. Some might make it most won't.
The comp is full of players not good enough so hard to see how this can fail given the amount of PR this has generated.

They will both struggle, but how good would it be to see Hunt put a massive hit on a Milne ...... ;D :hihi

ZeroGame said:
Except GoodOne was arguing why basketball is easier to make the transition
Basketball is completely different to AFL, so how if we have successful basketball converts who never kick the ball at all, can someone not convert from league?

Also gaelic may have similarities, however it still involves a kicking a round ball which is massively different to kicking the oval ball, that's why it still takes just as long for the gaelic players to adjust to kicking it at an elite level. At the end of the day, all sports are completely different to AFL and an elite sportsman who is a natural at anything they try is just as likely to make it as any other that has had a crack. In fact given they are elite in their own sport I'd say they are more likely than not to make it.
fair enough re basketball.
disagree a little re gaelic footy. i take your point re kicking, and kicking is a skill that i think most converts do struggle with (except kennelly). that ones that do make find a way to get their kicking to an acceptable standard. i think tho besides the shape of the ball the games are quite similar and require similar attributes.