Hawx delist Thorp with a year to go under contract. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hawx delist Thorp with a year to go under contract.

CyberKev said:
Was Hawthorn remiss in not meeting Carlton's demands for a first and second round pick for Brett Thornton? And was Hawthorn remiss in not giving up their first round pick + a key player + a lower pick for the privilege of paying an ageing Ryan O'Keefe $650k a year to be at a club he didn't really want to be at anyway?

Funny how the club cops so much uneducated grief from media-led sheep over trading practices, and yet the only key trades they haven't satisfactorily resolved are the ones they were held over a barrell for by whining clubs hell-bent on doing what was necessary to keep their player.
The Pelican is a good operator, he stuck it to North too. I don't see that you have anything to apologise for.

evo said:
The Pelican is a good operator, he stuck it to North too. I don't see that you have anything to apologise for.

I don't think anyone is saying they did anything wrong, just that their legacy of wanting to bury the other party in a trade means they are getting a rep like the Pies (i.e. always over-price their own and just too difficult to get a finished deal with).

They may have successfully screwed a few clubs previously, but if no-one trusts them to be a fair trader anymore, it will be harder to find clubs willing to talk turkey in future years.

The Campbell Brown fiasco I think probably will do the most damage in this regard.

Tiger74 said:
I don't think anyone is saying they did anything wrong, just that their legacy of wanting to bury the other party in a trade means they are getting a rep like the Pies (i.e. always over-price their own and just too difficult to get a finished deal with).
Big deal. As Kev has amply pointed out most of the bad rep is built on foundationless media speculation anyway.

'Good will' at the draft table is a load of bulldust. You can bet if next year the Hawks are keen to trade for/or away some players all the other clubs will talk to them. Who would want to be known as the club who drops their pants in draft week anyway? Recently that has been North and to lesser extent Richmond.

CyberKev said:
... the legal system and laws regarding the disclosure of mental health conditions to third parties.

Hawthorn never announced Thompson's depression, assuming they knew of it, because they were legally precluded from doing so. He announced it publicly, as he was within his rights to, and it didn't scare North off one iota. Hawthorn was no more able to announce Hay's condition (assuming they knew of it), and he didn't choose to go public with it until the wheels had fallen off at North (and that was also his right to announce, or not announce, as he saw fit).

I'm not sure this is strictly true.

If a club doctor knows of a player's mental health problems, he cannot disclose that to the club, or anyone, without the players permission.

Once the club (i.e., football department) knows, I don't think they are legally bound to keep it secret (ethically perhaps).

Indeed, if any medical condition (including mental health) has some bearing on a players ability to play football, and in some way influences a club's decision to keep or trade a player, is that club not ethically obliged to inform other clubs seeking trades?

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Thorp has played plenty of 2nds football too, whereas Bling is slowly but steadily developing into a pretty decent football. There is a bigger gap between the performance of Thorp and Selwood than Bling and Buddy (althrough amiditly in bith cases the gap is huge)

I agree with that statement. The problem is that Buddy is a once in a generation type player, while Selwood is an elite onballer - of which there are many more. When we missed out on Buddy, we not only missed a guy who would kick 100 in the H&A season at 21 - but also a marketing mega star. I heard on the radio that over the last two years he has been the most photographed person in Australia, beathing the PM.

But no use crying over spilled milk....

evo said:

Stuck it to North? I will admit, he has a great record and he has a past of being a good operator, but how anyone can say he stuck it to North?......

A second and third round draft pick for Josh Gibson?? Imagine if Richmond gave up pick 19 and 35 for Josh bloody Gibson? Very average player, and you have just given away potentially two very good long term prospects.

Yep, I bet North will be crying into their milk over that one. :hihi

Hawthorn, or in particular Pelchin is known to be heavy handed when it comes to trades. Ask anyone in the industry. The bloke seriously doesn't have many friends. I will never forget some doozies he tried when he was with Port. Clubs have seriously learnt how to deal with his antics and in particular, laugh at his requests. Let's face it, the Burgoyne case was going nowhere until it went to abitration or whatever it was they went to. If it wasn't for a couple of other clubs saving the deal it might not have been done.

Ask him his opinion on Adam Morgan v Jonathan Brown and if he still believe's Adam will turn out the better player......... :hihi

CyberKev is like most Hawthorn supporters, they have their head well and truly in the sand when it comes to this bloke and his ways.

Spanish Prisoner said:
When we missed out on Buddy, we not only missed a guy
hehehe, are you still trying to pass yourself off as legit, Charles Ponzi? I guess one has to admire your persistence.

Tigerbob said:
Stuck it to North? I will admit, he has a great record and he has a past of being a good operator, but how anyone can say he stuck it to North?......
*smile* Gibson that was a nothing trade. I'm talking about the Thompson and Hay jobs.

Hawthorn, or in particular Pelchin is known to be heavy handed when it comes to trades. Ask anyone in the industry. The bloke seriously doesn't have many friends. I will never forget some doozies he tried when he was with Port. Clubs have seriously learnt how to deal with his antics and in particular, laugh at his requests. Let's face it, the Burgoyne case was going nowhere until it went to abitration or whatever it was they went to. If it wasn't for a couple of other clubs saving the deal it might not have been done.

Ask him his opinion on Adam Morgan v Jonathan Brown and if he still believe's Adam will turn out the better player......... :hihi

CyberKev is like most Hawthorn supporters, they have their head well and truly in the sand when it comes to this bloke and his ways.
Please.

evo said:
*smile* Gibson that was a nothing trade. I'm talking about the Thompson and Hay jobs.

Oh, okay. Yeah he gave it to them, but I still question the intent. Fair play though, North should have done more research.

evo said:

Your welcome.

CyberKev said:
I actually think Hawthorn did pay overs for Burgoyne, with the difference between this willingness to do so and the situations involving Sydney and Carlton being that they clearly see Burgoyne as being central to improving the structure of the side.

Fair enough overrall there Kev. Leysy's a fan of Pelchens work even if he's an *smile*. But hey he's paid by his club no-one else.

Disagree on the above though. Burgoyne is a gun when fit & motivated no question. But you massively undersell what O'Keefe would have given you.
Would help you greatly structure wise. AWould play the high leadup forward (a pseudo CHF) to a tee. You guys fall down greatly in this area. You've had to move Buddy out further to spend time playing this position.

O'Keefe means Buddy & Roughead can work together in the most dangerous area of the ground. O'Keefe is also a lovely long kick & can role through the middle winning his own ball. Would be huge to you guys. Would make far more impact to your structure than you mention. Almost the perfect player for your side.

All I know is what ever the Pelican does, it works. He has built a list that will habour success and has already won a flag with the group.

I don't care what others think of Craig Cameron as long as he does the same.

evo said:
'Good will' at the draft table is a load of bulldust. You can bet if next year the Hawks are keen to trade for/or away some players all the other clubs will talk to them.

I don't think it is, the feedback coming from other clubs is that of an unwillingness to deal with Hawthorn, its happened in the past with say Essendon where other clubs steered clear of dealing with Sheedy at the trade table. I'd like Pelchen at Richmond for his List Mgt expertise but there's no doubt he's hard to deal with.

IanG said:
I don't think it is, the feedback coming from other clubs is that of an unwillingness to deal with Hawthorn, its happened in the past with say Essendon where other clubs steered clear of dealing with Sheedy at the trade table.

Except clearly they are not unwilling to deal, as each year Hawthorn is involved with trades.

SCOOP said:
All I know is what ever the Pelican does, it works. He has built a list that will habour success and has already won a flag with the group.

I don't care what others think of Craig Cameron as long as he does the same.

Fair call Scoop,

Pelchen may well be ordinary to deal with, but it hasn't stopped him building a premiership list. I'd like to know his success rate in building a list at Port as well. There are two blokes in the footy world that I think would improve our chances of success dramatically, Balme and Pelchen, to be honest I think they would be more beneficial to the club than any single player.

As for other clubs being unwilling to deal with "hard bargainers", the evidence would indicate that it is *smile*. If you think a club will give you a better deal because the list manager is a good bloke, you are kidding yourself. The only club I have seen ever acting altruistically is Geelong, and they more or less had to because of salary cap pressure.

Tiger74 said:
just that their legacy of wanting to bury the other party in a trade

???

Except that Hawthorn is being hammered primarily over being unable to get up two trades where the other clubs were asking them to pay over the odds. The common view was that Hawthorn were being asked to pay too much, but hey, how dastardly are they for not giving it up massive at the table just to make Carlton and Sydney happy?!

I'm quite sure the club would've been copping it bigtime had they pushed the deals through for being trade table softmarks.

This notion of Hawthorn trying to "bury" clubs at the table seems to stem directly from the afterwash of the two North deals, both of which North were champing at the bit to do. To North's credit, they didn't whine and bleat to the media about it, and remain content with the Thompson deal to this day.

If I thought that Carlton, Sydney and Port were playing genuine with their trade week grievances I'd tell them to "harden the F up", but clearly its all just part of the games that clubs play, which is why the Hawks just shrug it off and move on.

Kev wasn't Thorp under some injury cloud when he was drafted in 2006?
Seems like he's been carrying something since forever. :pop
How much impact do you think this has had on his ability to get the most out of his abilities?
Or do you think he's simply not up to it based on what you've seen when he's been fit at Box Hill etc.?

Leysy Days said:
But you massively undersell what O'Keefe would have given you.

I'm a huge O'Keefe fan and would've loved him in the side.

But when a club considers major trades of this type, they can't just take a player because he has quality, they have to consider what he is bringing to the team and counterbalance that against the effect his introduction will have.

O'Keefe was asking a lot more thaqn Burgoyne and that's definitely an issue when you're trying to juggle contracts for a lot of younger players (just coming off a flag) expecting considerable increases. Encouraging these players to keep their increases in check, while bringing in a player from another club (pushing thirty) on a huge contract isn't going to go down well.

And then there's the playing side. O'Keefe can pinch hit well out of the middle, but he's not going to lift and diversify your midfield in the same way Burgoyne will. And while O'Keefe is obviously a gun peripheral forward, you could hardly justify his inclusion into the side as a priority, given that its not a Hawk weakness that he would be rectifying.

While we are debating matter Hawthorn…

Does anyone else thing the Pies and the Hawks should have swapped their trade targets?

It strikes me that the Hawks biggest need is their ruck division which is probably the worst in the AFL, Jolly would have been perfect while Burgoyne is a luxury. Meanwhile the Pies could probably have gambled on Wood bring adequate, but could have really used the huge upside a healthy Burgoyne brings.

Just a thought.