Grand Final Entertainment | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Grand Final Entertainment

Count me out!
Only reason I go to the grand final is for the half time entertainment.

At least Katy will be used to playing at the MCG after providing the entertainment at the Women’s T20 World Cup a few years back. Like The Mole said, I watch the game for the game, not the singer at the start. I’ve actually missed a few pre GF performances turning the TV after they’ve done their thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Seriously who gives a flying *smile* about the “entertainment”? The game is the entertainment. If you go to a grand final to watch Katie Perry you are missing the point.

I hate the AFL pandering to the “theatre-goers”.
It’s funny how the afl always hype up who they got or want for the half time entertainment for the GF, yet not once have I heard any fan cry in disappointment that they couldn’t get a ticket to see the entertainer at the GF, but year after year you see and hear about thousands of footy members being disappointed they missed out on a ticket to see their TEAM play in the GF. Maybe the afl should focus their energy on that

Reactions: 4 users
Seriously who gives a flying *smile* about the “entertainment”? The game is the entertainment. If you go to a grand final to watch Katie Perry you are missing the point.

I hate the AFL pandering to the “theatre-goers”.
Its all about ego for the AFL execs. Trying to compete with rugby, and pretend to compete with the super bowl.

A good performer is fun for those there- The Killers were pretty good in 2017, especially on the ground after. I cant actually remember who played 2019?
But they dont work well for TV- doesnt matter who they are.

Reactions: 2 users
Its all about ego for the AFL execs. Trying to compete with rugby, and pretend to compete with the super bowl.

A good performer is fun for those there- The Killers were pretty good in 2017, especially on the ground after. I cant actually remember who played 2019?

Bring back Angry Anderson and the Batmobile

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Just for old times sake, here's something I wrote in response to Meatloaf's performance a few years back...

Meatloaf is off the Menu

According to a doctor I know, when someone is being kept alive only because of life support, and close relatives agree to turn it off, it is standard procedure to actually turn it off. Judging from Meatloaf’s performance at our recent AFL Grand Final, standard procedure is not always carried out. Instead, a decision was made to continue with life support. This was done via a tiny, portable machine disguised as a chunky lump of chewing gum attached to the inside of The Loaf’s lower teeth. In this way, what’s left of life can be prolonged by a few hours.

Another doctor I know has violently disagreed with this version of events, saying that, quite clearly, Meatloaf had recently passed away and then been the subject of a partial exhumation. I say partial because they were not able to exhume his voice, it having well and truly passed through the long tunnel of tunelessness and beyond the white light. Unbeknowns to all of us in the audience, we were, in fact, witnessing a medical, if not musical miracle.

(By the way, if you were fortunate enough NOT to see and hear – especially hear – Meatloaf’s massacre of his own mediocrity, and wish to create some context for this post, you may care to sample a few random moments from this clip.)

So there he is ... Meatloaf ... trashing the world’s appreciation of fine music, one stadium at a time. Little did we know that the best part of the pre-match entertainment was going to be the ‘Welcome to Country’. Actually, we must be grateful Meatloaf wasn’t scheduled for the POST-match entertainment, as thousands may have been killed in the stampede to the exits.

If we subscribe to the view that every cloud has a silver lining, there must be a positive we can pluck from this trainwreck. And there is – since this low point in Australia’s ceaseless campaign to showcase its cultural sophistication to the world, it has been revealed that Meatloaf’s performance is to be screened on large, seaward-facing monitors along parts of coastal Western Australia, in order to repel asylum seekers.

The other obvious positive is that, for a few minutes at least, our collective feeling of aghastness, (if there is such a word, and even if there’s not that’s how we felt) caused us to forget about our other worries ... worries such as global warming. However, if the Meatloaf mess is a foreshadowing of what’s to come at future Grand Finals, then sea levels can’t rise fast enough.

That was the best halftime entertainment ever. Even the backing band were struggling not to laugh.

• Haha

I think 2019 was Paul Kelly.

AFL really can't lose when it comes to choosing halftime entertainment. They have already reached the absolute bottom of the barrel with Meatloaf. Every act since then will be compared to ole Meaty and come out looking like good choice.

I cant actually remember who played 2019?
I can't either but i do remember dancing to Gimme Shelter at the end of the halftime break before the game restarted. My daughter has a video of her very happy Dad belting along with Mick.

• Love
At least Katy will be used to playing at the MCG after providing the entertainment at the Women’s T20 World Cup a few years back. Like The Mole said, I watch the game for the game, not the singer at the start. I’ve actually missed a few pre GF performances turning the TV after they’ve done their thing.

I deliberately don't turn on the TV until the actual game starts, the "entertainment" is irrelevant, the game is the only thing that matters.

DS

reckon the AFL should show the grand final highlights 2017.19.20 to show the viewing audience exactly how premierships are won before rules were changed.