Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

The weather has been fantastic since February. April and May have been awesome. Mild, sunny, and no wind either.

This week looks great again, too. Super Autumn.
Even now at the end of June, lot of cold, crisp, sunny days. I actually Melbourne weather is underrated now.

Reactions: 1 user
Even now at the end of June, lot of cold, crisp, sunny days. I actually Melbourne weather is underrated now.
It’s been awesome. Fresh starts but the days have been still and sunny so far this Winter. Been playing a few holes 3pm to 5.30 and it’s been *** great.

Their new bed was going to be months late in a new house and they had nothing.
How the *smile* is there a delay of months in getting a bed??? Did they order some sort of fancy hand crafted feng shui green leaf bamboo bed from Japan or something?

• Haha
It’s been awesome. Fresh starts but the days have been still and sunny so far this Winter. Been playing a few holes 3pm to 5.30 and it’s been *** great.
Golf at 3pm, semi retired Redford is a man of luxury. 3pm is peak salt mines depth for us common folk.

• Haha
Apologies if it has already been mentioned.

Coal Powered Power Stations and Nuclear Power Stations all require large amounts of water. I will stand corrected, but I believe Nuclear Power Stations require even more water than Coal Power stations.
With more droughts predicted due to climate change, the last thing Australia needs is to replace water guzzling coal power stations with water guzzling nuclear power stations.
It's a no brainer, renewables all the way for mine.
But we've got billions of dollars worth of desal plants sitting idle all over Oz because our dams are overflowing. Might be a good time to get some return on the shitload of money we wasted on desal coz the rain was never gunna fall again, n use them to pump some water into our fancy new nuke machines.
Two birds one rock, jobs done.

Not all of us are 66!
Get out of bed old fella ! And stop taking nanna naps at lunch and telling people about Roy Wright. Work through it. Make up some time and then you’ll make the links. You should know better gramps.

Wake up to yourself - literally ! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
How the *smile* is there a delay of months in getting a bed??? Did they order some sort of fancy hand crafted feng shui green leaf bamboo bed from Japan or something?
Pretty much. It was clearly the mrs fault. The mr was not impressed.

Reactions: 1 users
Gee the mad right at the centre for not so independent studies reckon nuclear can be done cheaper - yeah? Ok, then why the hell is the party of free enterprise and privatisation proposing it be government funded and owned? Surely the private sector would be champing at the bit to build nukes if they are so cost effective. Just throw out all the crap they profess to believe about small government and private ownership, anything to support nukes.
Ah the mad right and rwnjs have done a number on you again. I don’t think they’re gonna build anything. It’s all to get a (non nuclear) reaction from you
As for the constitution, I could have told you the Commonwealth can over-ride the states. Even where the power is clearly a state power in the constitution the Commonwealth still wins
Well good for you but you didnt
- the taxing power and Victoria's challenge to the Commonwealth taking over income taxation after WWII made this obvious.
Well I wasn’t around then to witness that. But I’ll take your word for it
But, that means nothing because nuclear power is prohibited under Commonwealth law.
Yeah, that’s why I said legislation would be needed to overrule the states h that have banned nuclear power and they can add in the Commonwealths ban on it.
They would need to change that first, although I wouldn't trust the ALP not to let it through the Senate. If the ALP hold their line on this there is no chance it would pass and that's the end of the story. Doesn't matter anyway, this is a policy to extend the life of fossil fuels not build nukes.
So you’ve said one thousand time
By the way Willo, if you knew something about climate change and the causes you could answer all of the above questions for yourself.
Well seeing they were “projections” I reserve the right to ask a question or two. Or even make a statement if I want to.
If it’s a projupection I believe putting some dates in would lend to some credibility.
Your misreading is revealing: it is a projection not a prediction or suggestion - they project from the science and the data.
Ah that’s why I said it was a “projection” in my first reply. Obviously you missed that. Again.
And if the data changes? That projection is voided, isn’t it. See if you care to answer this….

So will the all the $billions being spent on renewables in Australia, how much have those projections changed?
Will/ have those “hotter” days dropped I temperature? Have the droughts started to cease? Have we had more rainfall? Have we had less floods?
Or do we need to spend $ trillion more before those projections kick in and /or change.

Funny h
They said hotter days in summer not hot days in summer, even you should be able to work out the difference
Yeah, well where I was born and raised, summer days were *smile* hot. January 16 2019 was 46.3 degC. Is that just hot? Or very hot or hotter than it’s been before. But not since. When I was a kid (1960/70s) we had extreme heat for weeks at a time. I’m talking over 100deg F as measured back then
So don’t tell what hot or hotter is.

. Sea level rise and acidification are already happening, it is documented (see coral bleaching for a start).
Within the Great Barrier Reef? I thought that was mainly due to the crown of thorns starfish. Well there you go,now I find out it’s not.

So with all the renewables in Australia going in, what temperatures, sea levels, snow depth etc will we see in 2030 and at net zero in 2050?

Yeah well you better enjoy it while you can. It’s gonna get hotter, wetter, drier and colder. But there won’t be much snow! Just a bit of powder.

So Willo, you had lots of days over 100F as a kid in the 60s/70s and more recently it was 46.3C which is 115F - wow, they're correct, the hotter days are getting hotter.

DS

I play in all conditions Willos. Tough ! :ROFLMAO:
That’s the way mate. “Any tougher and you’d rust” Redfords.

I wonder when the freezing winter chill arrives, how these climate changeologists will keep warm inside? No gas fires, no electric heaters and no wood fires. They’ll be feeling it. 😜

I wonder when the freezing winter chill arrives, how these climate changeologists will keep warm inside? No gas fires, no electric heaters and no wood fires. They’ll be feeling it. 😜
Nuclear and llama wool.

• Haha
I was replying to Wildride’s quote back to me. Re that SMR’s aren’t in use commercially. There are a few in use in China and Russia as well as others nearing completion and others further along in development.

I’m surprised he’d pivot wherever from SMRs given the supposed advantages and lower costs to build.
Unless it was in relation to the bigger reactors and using multiple modules for the size. Whether one large reactor is cheaper than multiple modular types. Have you a link to where he’s proposed that?
Not that I dont believe you, but more to understand the reasoning.

Anyway we’ll see what comes of it all. If in fact, anything does.

There’s no election until later next year.So no doubt they’ll need to “flesh out” whatever the proposal will be.

They aren't commercially available and aren't lower cost.

Willo, fair enough you don't believe in "climate change", why then support nuclear? Its a lot of money to (eventually) unnecessarily reduce emissions.

Willo, fair enough you don't believe in "climate change", why then support nuclear? Its a lot of money to (eventually) unnecessarily reduce emissions.
Yeah, I should have put “greenies” in instead of “climate changeologists.”.
But you can still believe in using renewables without being a climate change fanatic

The only reason I support nuclear is because we need a secure 24/7 backup that can’t be done with just batteries for all the reasons I’ve mentioned before.

My first choice as a backup would be by gas generation. But that’s been ruled out.
Half the emissions of co2, but much higher in methane. But methane doesn’t stay in the atmosphere for centuries like co2 supposedly does.
Sometimes there needs to be a trade off to reduction. But not with net zero. That makes it near impossible.
So what are we left with? Not many other options.

I wonder what the scientific figure is that stabilises or even just slightly reduces greenhouse gas emissions over time. Rather than trying for “net zero”. Which I find hard to believe that it is achievable.

Last edited:
But we've got billions of dollars worth of desal plants sitting idle all over Oz because our dams are overflowing. Might be a good time to get some return on the shitload of money we wasted on desal coz the rain was never gunna fall again, n use them to pump some water into our fancy new nuke machines.
Two birds one rock, jobs done.
I don't reckon money was "wasted on desal".

The Wonthaggi desalination plant was built because of the stage 3 water restrictions that were in place for over 2 years. Melbourne's water reservoirs were down to 20 odd percent.

After below average rainfall for over 10 years, it eventually p!ssed down, and the water restrictions were lifted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users