Get off your high horse Caro! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Get off your high horse Caro!

Jack said:
As for supporters and members, it just has to be hard to retain them. I have heard many people in their 30's and 40's say it is hard to keep their kids Richmond supporters ( me included ). My oldest ( aged 7 ) started to cry at qtr time Sunday. She just said ' dad we can't even kick one goal '. What can I say to her? She loves footy, but feels embarrassed to be a RFC supporter. I also feel like letting her changed clubs, because it was the same for me when I was a kid, and I don't want her to go though what we have all been through. ( But it won't happen, she will stay a RFC supporter )

My wife and I were talking in bed last night after FC and saying how it just seems like all the RFC supporters have given up. We were saying how in years gone by supporters would be angry and flooding talk back demanding answers, and heads to roll.

But is dosen't happen now. I think it is a combination of supporters understanding our current situation, and just plain being over it. We have been there done that so often. We have been angry, but just can't be angry any more. It is more just depression these days ( thats how I feel too )

Too true Jack. We all feel al little deflated. We've vented our anger, we've dumped manure on the door step, we've stabbed our own, and guess what? Gone nowhere.

Time to invest our faith in those at the helm of the club, buy our memberships, and support our club. I've indoctrinated 3 children into the club against their will. I hope for their sake (and all the others like them and yours) that success is somewhere in sight. I really believe it will come.

Using the criteria of average losing margin of a team losing their opening 6 matches the 5 worst teams ever are.....

#5 - Richmond 2010 (-64)
#4 - Fitzroy 1996 (-65)
#3 - Hawthorn 1950 (-70)
#2 - Fitzroy 1991 (-72)
#1 - Sydney 1993 (-74)

On this basis we are the worst team since Fitzroy.

CarnTheTiges said:
Wants Richmond to succeed my arse! He wants someone to fall over so he can start culling the Victorian based teams, looks like he's hunting Tigers.

Agree with this. IMO Demetripoo couldn't give a toss about the RFC. I have a sneaking suspicion that he thinks we could solve his Tassie issue via relocation. Would be very surprised if he goes out of his way to give us back the picks to which we are entitled.

BillyJean17 said:
bloody shameful she's not a member, I have less regard for than I ever did now :-\

If it's true that she is not a member then that is very poor on her behalf.

She probably needs to be seen to be impartial to a certain extent. Those of you who reckon she sticks the boot in too much, this means she can kick all equally.

Ready said:
She probably needs to be seen to be impartial to a certain extent. Those of you who reckon she sticks the boot in too much, this means she can kick all equally.

She can still be a member and be impartial. She can separate her work life from her personal life. I'd hazard a guess that many football commentators and journalists are members of clubs.

Ready said:
She probably needs to be seen to be impartial to a certain extent.

Agreed, this was my thought as well.

Ridley said:
She can still be a member and be impartial. She can separate her work life from her personal life.

But she wouldn't be seen as impartial.

Its obviously not necessarily a mandated thing but I can respect it if she feels that ethically she can't in her current position.

Ridley said:
She can still be a member and be impartial. She can separate her work life from her personal life. I'd hazard a guess that many football commentators and journalists are members of clubs.
Could Andrew Demetriou be a member of North Melbourne? Or Mike Fitzpatrick at Carlton?

Ready said:
I'm sure alot of journos are members of their clubs,no excuse for Caro.

Ready said:
Could Andrew Demetriou be a member of North Melbourne? Or Mike Fitzpatrick at Carlton?

Did I miss them resigning their extremely high ranking positions at the AFL and start writing articles for the HUN and the Age?

How about Dermie and Dunstall at Hawthorn? It'd be fair to assume Hird would be an Essendon member.

IanG said:
Agreed, this was my thought as well.

But she wouldn't be seen as impartial.

Its obviously not necessarily a mandated thing but I can respect it if she feels that ethically she can't in her current position.

Everyone knows she barracks for Richmond and that her father was along time President. Everyone thinks she's biased whether she is or she isn't. Many would have not far behind McChins at Scumwood in the biased stakes, whether that's right or wrong. Doesn't stop him putting his hard earned in and being a journo as well.

Pissweak excuse, she should be a member.

Ridley said:
Everyone knows she barracks for Richmond and that her father was along time President. Everyone thinks she's biased whether she is or she isn't. Many would have not far behind McChins at Scumwood in the biased stakes, whether that's right or wrong. Doesn't stop him putting his hard earned in and being a journo as well.

p!ssweak excuse, she should be a member.

Sheedy was a Bomber coach and a Tiger member at the same time.

She is a key stakeholder in the game in that she gives news and opinions on the key issues on the game. Brereton and Dunstall talk about whether or not Jarryd Roughead is fat and soft. Wilson writes about northern expansion, TV rights, club governance etc.

I would suggest she takes her position pretty seriously (too seriously some will say) and so too the responsibilities that entails.

Ready said:
She is a key stakeholder in the game in that she gives news and opinions on the key issues on the game. Brereton and Dunstall talk about whether or not Jarryd Roughead is fat and soft. Wilson writes about northern expansion, TV rights, club governance etc.

I would suggest she takes her position pretty seriously (too seriously some will say) and so too the responsibilities that entails.

Yet still, everyone knows that she barracks for Richmond so will think she has a natural bias anyway, rightly or wrongly. Her being a financial member has no impact on that whatsoever and as such she should be paid up. She is obviously concerned about the club so she do something about it like the rest of us schmucks who pore in hunderds and sometimes thousands of dollars a year and get sweet FA in return.

Mappa said:
It is very interesting to hear Caro go on about the club in this way. One could say that it was her fathers' fault that we have ended up in this state, he was president when we went into full attack on the Collingwood playing list after they recruited Cloke and Raines. This whole vendetta issue started us on the slippery slide and we have never looked like recovering until now.

In fact it is this large debt, a lack of money, and a failure by the club to realise that they could not go on being run with a seventies and eighties mind set that is still causing us problems today.

The game of football went from a primative train hard, recruit everyone on form fours and you will win premierships to a scientific based, skill driven sport and we kept trying to do it the old way.

As for the line in the sand yes its time particularly for us supporters we can not do anything about the past we can only CONTRIBUTE to the future, and in that regard we can do it in a positive or negative way it is your choice.

If we want our club to be a success we can not burden March, Gale and Hardwick with the past history of the club. They must be given the stress free space to do their jobs in a positive and progressive way, if we are to improve and once again become competitive.

We are the ones who carry the scares, but in a way we need to take a Nelson Mandella view, in that to move forward we must forgive the sins of the past and live each day helping us and the club succeed, not looking to pull down everything that is put infront of us.

We may not be great on the field, but what i see in March, Gale, Hardwick and the team is a professional, logical, balanced and focused team.

I for one thing for the first time we have actually realised what it takes to be successful in todays football and have put the bricks in place to ensure this happens.

I ask myself what can I do? We need money in the bank to eliminate debt and allow us to continue to add skilled personnel to our coaching and development teams. So i think i'll start by buying another membership just for the hell of it.

And as for Caro and anyone else for that matter.....we will have our day in the sun.

I'm with you Mappa ;D

Ready said:
She probably needs to be seen to be impartial to a certain extent.

Sorry ready, but that's crap!.... What about her children who barrack for Richmond? Whats stopping her from purchasing one for them?.

Every media comentator in the land from Brayshaw to Lyon (Footy show) to Andy Maher and the rest on SEN all spruik about their clubs and are paid up, just the other day Watson and Maher were saying a few years back that they both purchased a Nth Melbourne membership to help them out.

I Remember Dermie saying once that he was a paid up member of every Victorian club!..... not sure if he still is today? (Someone here on PRE will do the research) because of his playing days drawing a wage from football helped him get to where he is today, he feels that he's giving something back to the clubs that he played against.

As i said in my earlier post, she earns enough, and her hubby earns a good dollar too, surely she could find a few hundred dollars a year to help out the RFC.

waiting since 80 said:
Sorry ready, but that's crap!.... What about her children who barrack for Richmond? Whats stopping her from purchasing one for them?.

Every media comentator in the land from Brayshaw to Lyon (Footy show) to Andy Maher and the rest on SEN all spruik about their clubs and are paid up, just the other day Watson and Maher were saying a few years back that they both purchased a Nth Melbourne membership to help them out.

I Remember Dermie saying once that he was a paid up member of every Victorian club!..... not sure if he still is today? (Someone here on PRE will do the research) because of his playing days drawing a wage from football help get to where he is today, he feels that he's giving something back to the clubs that he played against.

As i said in my earlier post, she earns enough, and her hubby earns a good dollar too, surely she could find a few hundred dollars a year to help out the RFC.
Kevin Sheedy was a paid up member of every Victorian club for years while he was still coaching Essendon.
I heard him say it plenty of times.

tiger12 said:
Too true Jack. We all feel al little deflated. We've vented our anger, we've dumped manure on the door step, we've stabbed our own, and guess what? Gone nowhere.

Time to invest our faith in those at the helm of the club, buy our memberships, and support our club. I've indoctrinated 3 children into the club against their will. I hope for their sake (and all the others like them and yours) that success is somewhere in sight. I really believe it will come.

Yeah

Its just really a case of stick with them, or go away.

Its probably the only good about the club currently. Instead of the usual blame game, supporters seems to be just saying there is nothing we can do about it. We just have to stick with them and have faith.

Ridley said:
But that's just the issue. We should only be getting what Carlton and Melbourne (who both obviously cheated by the way) have got in recent years. Pick one for finishing last and a priority pick around late teens. In no way whatsoever would it be preferential treatment; it would be equal treatment. To not get these picks is unequal treatment.

Great post.

Have not thought of it in that way. Certainly makes some sence.

I just think if we don't win a game for the season, surely we need help. I cant see how we can be 15th last year, and not win a game the next year and get picks 4 and 20 something, when other teams win 4 games two years running and get picks 1 and 2.

Surely if we don't win a game, something like pick 4 and 8 or 9 would be fair. I don't have a problem with CG getting priority picks, I just think we should get one too.

I just really hope the club puts a submission to the AFL. If the AFL say no, then thats that. But we should at least ask.

The problem I see we have is people not wanting to give us a priority pick because we have caused our own problems. And that is true. But surely every year the wooden spooner has caused their own problems to a certain extent.