Get off your high horse Caro! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Get off your high horse Caro!

Disco08 said:
Who knows? Perhaps you could ask someone on here what the saw as positives for Miller and Casey's appointment.

Stability, plus the fact that Macek ran an unbelievably poor campaign and looked like he was completely unprepared to run the club.

IanG said:
Stability, plus the fact that Macek ran an unbelievably poor campaign and looked like he was completely unprepared to run the club.

Yeah, it worked out really stable didn't it ::)

Casey took over from the Daphne administration with the club operating in the black and on a solid financial footing. 5 years on we were $2.4million in the hole and within 12 months of that election Casey rode off into the sunset leaving the club a basket case. The fact that they won the election due to Miller's blackmail is a disgrace. The members fell for the snake oil spin hook line and sinker.

IanG said:
.... and looked like he was completely unprepared to run the club.

How did he look like he was completely unprepared to run the club? Did Casey look like he was prepared to run the club considering the terrible state he had us in? Staggering if people thought a campaign led by blackmail would bring stability and the decent, transparent culture we so desperately needed.

rosy23 said:
How did he look like he was completely unprepared to run the club? Did Casey look like he was prepared to run the club considering the terrible state he had us in? Staggering if people thought a campaign led by blackmail would bring stability and the decent, transparent culture we so desperately needed.

Its a long while ago but I guess it was a case of better the devil you know. Obviously it was wrong but it was still the early, more positive days of the Wallace era.

Tigers of Old said:
Like I have said Riddles the main reason that the AFL are sitting on their hands is because as soon as they say the number 1 pick is back up for grabs then the tanking debate will rear it's head again.
Adelaide will all of a sudden sniff that they're a chance to pick up the number one kid and so it goes.. :spin
The Pandora's box opens once again.

No matter how much we deserve it or how sh!t we are, we are being punished because what was what was a very serious issue for the AFL that was calling their system into question has all but disappeared with the mass of concessionary picks that GC17 will receive from this year on.
As history will show there's a fair difference between the near certainty of the first couple of picks being a success and that of pick four where it becomes more of a lottery.
Tanking? What tanking?

No doubt by the time WS18 have received all their concessions, the AFL will have reworked their system again.. :p

Another problem swept under the carpet, this time at our expense when we genuinely need assistance. :mad:

Actually, this really resonates. Let’s suppose Dimmy says something along the lines of “Richmond are in big trouble and need extra help at the draft this year.”

Adelaide will put the cue in the rack immediately as you rightly point out. Most likely so will West Coast. What about Melbourne, they can still qualify for more Priority picks if they go back to their losing ways? Even Hawthorn have only won one game so far this year and are proven PP-hunters. We could end up with a Super-tanker the likes of which hasn’t been seen since the Exxon Valdez oil spill.

It is unlikely that Dimmy has any empathy for Richmond’s current crisis, but he might just want to help out his protégé, Benny Gale. If he does decide to do something, he will say nothing for two or three more months until each of these clubs are safely out of the tank zone before taking any action.

If I were running Richmond, I would shut up for a while. It is not as if there is a draft in the next fortnight so there is urgency around this.

TOT70 said:
It is unlikely that Dimmy has any empathy for Richmond’s current crisis, but he might just want to help out his protégé, Benny Gale. If he does decide to do something, he will say nothing for two or three more months until each of these clubs are safely out of the tank zone before taking any action.

Don't think they like each other very much Tottie.

IIRC Vlad went to AFL as their CEO on the back of his expertise at AFLPA. About three years ago, after Vlad bought his mansion on the shores of Lake Como in Italy, it was a strong rumour that he was going to quit. Benny Gale had taken over at the AFLPA and was considered a front runner to follow the Vlad path with Joel Bowden the next in line at the AFLPA.

Vlad screwed them all over by deciding to stay on and lessen his day-to-day workload by bringing in two assistants in Anderson and McLachlan (spelling ?), who now look like the heirs if they can stop their fumbling ineptitude.

Benny was screwed and in a deadend at AFLPA. He has done the smart thing and moved to club administration where he may gain a power base to have another run at the AFL job again in a few years, similar to the offers made to Cook and other club CEO's over the years.

Tiger74 said:
AFL has already said no - chances of this happening now are as remote as Polak putting his arms above his head ( :hihi )

if we ask now we look pathetic. better for the club to look for alternate ways for "support" that don't effect the alleged integrity of the draft. personally I have no idea what these are, but thats why I'm not the CEO

I'm sure most people have seen the HS article with Benny Gale today. Basically ends the priority pick debate.

Look I admire what Benny and the club are doing and their attitude. Good on them.

But, obviously the club is doing and will do everything to improve as Benny pointed out. So isn't a priority pick a way to help improve? Why say we don't want one? Surely if we can get a priority pick you take it, because it helps.

As a member I want the club to do everything, EVERYTHING, it can to improve.

Yes put more staff in recriuting and development etc etc. Good moves, should have done it years ago. New facilities etc etc. These are all good things and will help. Good job.

But an extra pick in the draft would help too. I believe the club is not doing everything it can to improve if it doesn't put a submission forward. What is the worst that can happen? The AFL say no. If the AFL so no, well then thats that and we more on. We at least tried.

By saying we don't want help to me is not a great move.

Mr Magic said:
Caro was simply self promoting her article that appeared today. She cares more about her job and what that requires her to do than she will ever care about Richmond.
true dat.

RedanTiger said:
Don't think they like each other very much Tottie.

IIRC Vlad went to AFL as their CEO on the back of his expertise at AFLPA. About three years ago, after Vlad bought his mansion on the shores of Lake Como in Italy, it was a strong rumour that he was going to quit. Benny Gale had taken over at the AFLPA and was considered a front runner to follow the Vlad path with Joel Bowden the next in line at the AFLPA.

Vlad screwed them all over by deciding to stay on and lessen his day-to-day workload by bringing in two assistants in Anderson and McLachlan (spelling ?), who now look like the heirs if they can stop their fumbling ineptitude.

Benny was screwed and in a deadend at AFLPA. He has done the smart thing and moved to club administration where he may gain a power base to have another run at the AFL job again in a few years, similar to the offers made to Cook and other club CEO's over the years.

Fair enough, Reddy. I don’t remember the ins and outs, so to speak.

Nonetheless, there is no way that the AFL will weigh into this debate until they are satisfied that other clubs won’t start to tank. They may well be thinking that RFC need something but they would certainly not be wanting to let Adelaide or West Coast get a sniff of special assistance, they know what will happen.

There are lots of ways to skin a cat, though. If Richmond is struggling at the bottom of the ladder after 18 rounds, 3 games or so behind 15th, and the AFL decides to upgrade their PP from the second round to the first, the impact on the other teams is minimal. There will be no impact whatsoever on GC, whose picks will not change at all and the other 15 clubs will go back in the order by 1 or 2 picks in the first round only, hardly a major concern for anyone. It is as close to "free assistance" as you can possibly get.

Should this notion of special assistance for Richmond be kept front-and-centre for the remainder of the season, there may well be a favourable late outcome.

The AFL can also give Richmond favourable assistance by giving them the opportunity to sign an additional uncontracted player outside of all drafts, like they did with Sydney when they were uncompetitive in the early 1990s. Sure, that was an interstate project that looked like falling over and this isn’t, but the precedent is there.

tigersnake said:
AS Ridley said, there is a genuine, irrefutable equity issue here. Every other side that has bottomed out in the past, and will bottom out in the future, gets a swag of early picks. We don't. Why? because of an oversight and now bloody-mindedness by the league. It should be addressed full stop. Its ludicrous that Demetriou just stonewalls us, simply wrong. Yeah the new clubs should get some establishment concessions, I think they are too generous but thats a separate issue, but the legitimate needs and rights of the established clubs should not be forgotten.

This is crap, its an injustice.. I'm gunna write to the league, and I'd others too as well.

Next draft we get 4 picks and 27 after Melbourne got 1, 2 ,11 and 18 in 2009. The concessions and changes are too extrrrme and too generous too quickly. so melb got 4 picks in the top 20 we get 1 a year later - how does that work?

jdb said:
Next draft we get 4 picks and 27 after Melbourne got 1, 2 ,11 and 18 in 2009. The concessions and changes are too extrrrme and too generous too quickly. so melb got 4 picks in the top 20 we get 1 a year later - how does that work?
A wee bit disingenuous there.

jdb said:
is it the truth or not?

if we trade our best midfielder, like melbourne did, we would prob end up with 3 top 20 picks, and 5 top 30 picks. Melb only had 4 top 30 picks.