GAMEDAY v hawks Round 23 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GAMEDAY v hawks Round 23

If I had it my way I would give Hugo the JD medal as he works twice as hard as our next best player. The major beacon of our year.
Thank goodness it’s not your way!
Works hard until collision time, can’t hit targets, has improved, but miles away from JD.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
No Nank deserved that. He invited the 50. Was there and deservedly paid. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Changed the momentum.

Love him but that was poor.
Not saying it was smart but I have seen many, many examples of much more leniency given in these situations. To me it was 50/50. And this momentum thing is a crock. We were never getting near that Hawks side. Wishful thinking.

At least Short and Graham are doing something but admittedly not very well. Matty C did nothing whilst on the field of play
But plenty on here lauded his selection in the '23 MSD. Sorry, but a barely known, small and very lightly-built player from SANFL seconds was the very definition of a long-shot.

Half our team looked like they had skates on today and couldn't keep their feet
It's been a trend all year. We cannot even get our players wearing the right boots. Don't see the oppo slipping over much at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Let's not join the Hawthorn love fest
They brought in 3 average footballers into a super fit running team.
Chol was at his laconic best today. Shouldve kicked 5.
Gillivan was by himself all day and Ambrossi is ok. But Let's not get carried away.
They're 1 loss away from joining us.

Chol one of laziest footballer's to put on a AFL jumper, Nank got him good in the ruck in the third, soft.

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't read a word of this thread, deliberately stayed away, but my take is as follows.

I was at the game and like most Richmond supporters I was in shock halfway through the first quarter. We had completely lost our structure and it was like witches hats. We were on track to have 13-14 kicked on us in that quarter. Something changed and my guess is that there was leadership on the field because we definitely tightened up, not so much getting back into the game but stemming the tide. I don't know who the leaders were who drove that but it did happen.

I said to the people I was with at quarter time that the fact that the collapse of structure happened was a worry but what I wanted was some ticker. I was hoping for some pride in performance and the team and some fight and we got that. It was a pity they ran out of steam late.

I'm not defending the early game performance at all, it was dreadful, but we were staring at a 20 goal defeat and it didn't happen. A few of our players got under the skin of the Hawthorn players as well which I liked. It may seem like a glass half full attitude to the game but to me end of season is often characterised by big blow outs from sides not in contention and the game early had all the hallmarks of that but it didn't happen because our players showed some heart.

Post mortem on individuals can come later for me but one player who I would mention as someone who tries his guts out every week and was to me a real leader yesterday is Hugo Ralphsmith.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Before the AFL introduced rule changes to slow us down, teams would struggle to get a ‘run on’ like the Hawks had in the first quarter. Coaches would put an extra man behind the ball to stem the tide. The 6-6-6 rule needs to be abolished.
The rules relating to players holding onto a player who has marked the ball, or the protected area or the stand rule - all rules that give the player with the ball the freedom to take an unimpeded kick, are widely NOT applied as much now.
The deliberate oob is a rule which requires the umpire to become psychic.
Arguably, they are paid once in while, when the umpires deem fit, but not every time cos it would slow the game down.
Marks are not always marks, handballs are more often than not, throws. Incidental contact is subjective in any given contest, blocking is rampant, 15m kicks is a joke, demonstative abuse is subjective, etc etc.
The umpiring is a real shamozzle now and has been in decline for many years now.
I’m over it. Let the moronic afl stuff our game up completely, turn it into a glorified game of basketball/netball (it’s half way there already).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I feel we need to play 3 talls against, their spare tall on rotation outmarked us each time. this was the same as the first encounter.

Not saying it was smart but I have seen many, many examples of much more leniency given in these situations. To me it was 50/50. And this momentum thing is a crock. We were never getting near that Hawks side. Wishful thinking.
Momentumn in football is massive. Of course we were not winning but we were competitive and had oputscored them for an extended period. To me that turned the game completely back in Hawks favour.

Nank is a serial offender, unfortunately you have to expect less leniency. Not saying it is right but that is what it is.

Dumb. Especially from your captain.

But plenty on here lauded his selection in the '23 MSD. Sorry, but a barely known, small and very lightly-built player from SANFL seconds was the very definition of a long-shot.
Yes leon, concerning! Particularly when you consider that we don’t select the talent sitting right under our noses. Watched young D’Ambrosio closely yesterday. His running patterns were sensational. His kicking absolutely sublime….!

Yes leon, concerning! Particularly when you consider that we don’t select the talent sitting right under our noses. Watched young D’Ambrosio closely yesterday. His running patterns were sensational. His kicking absolutely sublime….!
We need to deal with facts on D’Ambrosio. He was identified by our vfl system and played 7-8 games for us and was picked up as pick 3 in the 2022 MSD by Essendon. We had pick 10.
We had no chance of getting him, the system conspired against us. Same with Durham.
It is disappointing but I can’t see how our team did anything wrong with either of them.
Our vfl recruiting team obviously do a great job identifying talent.

Reactions: 11 users
We need to deal with facts on D’Ambrosio. He was identified by our vfl system and played 7-8 games for us and was picked up as pick 3 in the 2022 MSD by Essendon. We had pick 10.
We had no chance of getting him, the system conspired against us. Same with Durham.
It is disappointing but I can’t see how our team did anything wrong with either of them.
Good point.
We’ve been able to pick a couple up from our VFL program as well.
Other posters who watch the VFL games have mentioned Davidson as another possible. So at least we’re getting them through the door.

Momentumn in football is massive. Of course we were not winning but we were competitive and had oputscored them for an extended period. To me that turned the game completely back in Hawks favour.

Nank is a serial offender, unfortunately you have to expect less leniency. Not saying it is right but that is what it is.

Dumb. Especially from your captain.
Of course momentum is massive. It also get thrown around alot as a result when a player makes a mistake. I don't really see the momentum in that scenario. The most goals we scored in a row after half time was 2. We were never closer than 39 points. At half time we were 37 down. Where was this perceived momentum?

Post like that have no place on PRE...

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Went to the game yesterday.

My Richmond mate did not attend so I went with a Hawk mate of mine (and his mate who was also Hawks).
A lot of Hawks on the way in on the train.
Obviously sensing an easy kill.
Game was done about 10 minutes in.

We seem to play the same way every week.
The only thing that changes is the Quarter in which we decide we are basically going to down tools.
If you take the bad Quarter or bad patches out we have been quite competitive (for the most part).
I have little to no understanding how this can happen.
It happens EVERY week.
During these poor spells we give up a mountain of Goals which decide the game.

Anyway my mate (and his) were very polite not to rub my face in it.
I just continued taking my medicine.
It's called Jim Beam.

We also went onto the ground after the game and took some pictures.

Just before they opened the gates I was yelling out to 2 Phones:

Hey Cholly, Dimma's gone, come back, Please!

All the other Hawks supporters turned around to look at me.
My mate reckons Cholly heard me and grinned.

Anyway was a good day.

Reactions: 4 users
Went to the game yesterday.

My Richmond mate did not attend so I went with a Hawk mate of mine (and his mate who was also Hawks).
A lot of Hawks on the way in on the train.
Obviously sensing an easy kill.
Game was done about 10 minutes in.

We seem to play the same way every week.
The only thing that changes is the Quarter in which we decide we are basically going to down tools.
If you take the bad Quarter or bad patches out we have been quite competitive (for the most part).
I have little to no understanding how this can happen.
It happens EVERY week.
During these poor spells we give up a mountain of Goals which decide the game.

Anyway my mate (and his) were very polite not to rub my face in it.
I just continued taking my medicine.
It's called Jim Beam.

We also went onto the ground after the game and took some pictures.

Just before they opened the gates I was yelling out to 2 Phones:

Hey Cholly, Dimma's gone, come back, Please!

All the other Hawks supporters turned around to look at me.
My mate reckons Cholly heard me and grinned.

Anyway was a good day.
Yep we play 3/4 of a game which gels nicely with Chol because he plays at 3/4 pace.
He would be no good for us now. In a poor team he would struggle because he wouldn’t get the easy goals by hanging out the back like he does now. He would do the odd brilliant thing and kick a few but we need young hard working forwards right now .

Reactions: 5 users
A tiger champ?
That’s very loose use of the word champ.
What Graham did in the prelim against Geelong in 2019 was remarkable, bloke was in so much pain but couldnt go off due to rotations.
He doesnt stay on and continue to pressure, then we lose that game and no 2019 flag.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the clarification Sin. Begs the question. If he was identified as an outstanding talent by our peeps and we were simply thwarted in our plans to get him into the program by Essendon’s earlier MSD pick, then why did we not go hard again to get him back? He was gettable after all. Hawks did very well.