Game day Tigers v Suns | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game day Tigers v Suns

Went to my first game today for eight years, loved it. The weather was great and the Tigers one. :clap

MB78 said:
How did Grigg go today?

And overall how would you rate his season?

He has been good, better then Ellis and I would've never said that a year ago.

zippadeee said:
He has been good, better then Ellis and I would've never said that a year ago.

That hurt you writing that. Glad you can give credit when due. The Grigg thread doesn't get written every week now.

Didn't occur to me until watching the replay how many good players Suns had missing, plus of course the injuries during the game.

O'Meara
Smith
Ablett
Prestia
Swallow
McKenzie.

That is some outs.

Yeah, Suns have had the year from hell. Had the absolute guts ripped out of them. To their credit, they still have a crack.

When they get their A graders back next year with May and Lynch as the bookends, easy draw plus another early draft pick, they will make top 4 next year IMO

jb03 said:
Didn't occur to me until watching the replay how many good players Suns had missing, plus of course the injuries during the game.

O'Meara
Smith
Ablett
Prestia
Swallow
McKenzie.

That is some outs.

Yeah, but we were missing McBean.

Carter said:
I suspect we could've put the foot down if we really wanted to.

We maintained defensive structures for four quarters and I'm happy with that.

It was a conflicting mish mash. Aesthetically we looked casually defensive and lacking in linebreakers or flair IMO. Yet we scored heavily.

I put most of it down to Gold Coast. That was our standard 3 goal win against most opposition, albeit with one noticeable shift in thinking. Deledio, Lloyd, Lennon, and now Jack were getting the ball 80m out. Even Newman, when he gets the ball, is a more creative kick I50 than most battlers. Over the past month, 3 of those 5 players could have justifiably been replaced with a Gordon, yet Dimma has backed them in for an extended run.

I'm pleased we seem to be experimenting with the premium we place on 'grunt over skills up forward' (despite the Morris selection this week).

This wasn't happening a few months ago. It suggests they're toying with alternate solutions to a known problem.

Strange game.

Don't know if it was a ploy by the coaches or the players out there.

Suns were poor but had quite a few out and got a few injuries today and a couple of players obviously injured out there.

Don't know if we just sat back and let the Suns hand the ball back to us and turn the ball over as there was a lack if pressure( tackle wise) and lots of corralling /guarding space type footy. At that stage we had laid 1 tackle half way through the second quarter.

I certainty hope it was just the opposition and not what we will dish out against the Pies.

I will take the win, % , 4 Pts and move onto next week. Just was a strange game the way we played!

Play bruise free footy against any other top 8 pretender and the Tigers will come off second best.

We are not a contender until we get that ruthlessness about our game and put pressure on every opposition team we play. The sad thing is we have proved it three times this season that we can apply tackling pressure and offensive pressure for 4 quarters. The games against Sydney, Fremantle and Hawthorn are the proof.

Fair dinkum in the first half yesterday I was not sure whether I was watching the Tigers or the Diamonds. Most of our players should have had a skirt on with Letters on their back and chest.

On yesterdays performance we would get beaten by all other teams in the eight.

If you do not tackle in September you do not win finals.

RemoteTiger said:
Play bruise free footy against any other top 8 pretender and the Tigers will come off second best.

We are not a contender until we get that ruthlessness about our game and put pressure on every opposition team we play. The sad thing is we have proved it three times this season that we can apply tackling pressure and offensive pressure for 4 quarters. The games against Sydney, Fremantle and Hawthorn are the proof.

Fair dinkum in the first half yesterday I was not sure whether I was watching the Tigers or the Diamonds. Most of our players should have had a skirt on with Letters on their back and chest.

On yesterdays performance we would get beaten by all other teams in the eight.

If you do not tackle in September you do not win finals.
Yeah looked that way but funnily enough Mould Coast could barely get through and score. Perhaps the coaches worked out the best way to beat them was to sag off n let them chip n cheat from one side of the ground to the other with their pretty little dinky skills, then mop up n blast through them. They looked a damn sight quicker than us a few times, but spent most of the game chipping around n around in circles waiting for the inevitable turn over.

People say release the shackles, its boring and defensive, we don't score enough goals. So we do that and the refrain becomes "bruise free football, we'll never win a final like that.". :hihi

antman said:
People say release the shackles, its boring and defensive, we don't score enough goals. So we do that and the refrain becomes "bruise free football, we'll never win a final like that.". :hihi

Antman do you believe the bruise free footy we played against the Suns will be the style needed to beat the Swans, Bulldogs, Hawks, Weagles, Freo? Or for that matter the Kangaroos or the Crows?

You have a better eye for football than most and I am sure you know the truth about the Richmond game yesterday.