Game Day - TIGERS v ROOS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - TIGERS v ROOS

We certainly looked a bit flat in the first half but maybe the players weren't sure how hard to go, but rather just expending enough energy to get the job done. There was so much publicity about Norths second string team, it was an awkward situation for our guys when we prob have to play them again next week.
I can't recall any player totally busting a gut. There were no wild celebrations of goals, song was sung in a subdued manner. I think we have matured, but I guess time will tell how we turn up next week.
Also could not stand Brad Scott looking so "all knowing" and smug in the box really irked me and demanding an apology from people for doubting they were trying to win the match, what an A grade tosser!
Hope we run all over them next week.

stripes17 said:
We certainly looked a bit flat in the first half but maybe the players weren't sure how hard to go, but rather just expending enough energy to get the job done. There was so much publicity about Norths second string team, it was an awkward situation for our guys when we prob have to play them again next week.
I can't recall any player totally busting a gut. There were no wild celebrations of goals, song was sung in a subdued manner. I think we have matured, but I guess time will tell how we turn up next week.
Also could not stand Brad Scott looking so "all knowing" and smug in the box really irked me and demanding an apology from people for doubting they were trying to win the match, what an A grade tosser!
Hope we run all over them next week.

Will have to upgrade our first half efforts to win next Sunday though.

stripes17 said:
Also could not stand Brad Scott looking so "all knowing" and smug in the box really irked me

Thought he looked genuinely aghast when his players were leaving the field injured. Also the usual histrionics whenever a free went against them.

It's not out of the question that next week will be his final game.

I really hate the AFL. OK they let North tank, we can argue about that, I think it sucks but put that aside...

OK so they say to North 'OK you can tank, but we don't like it, bad look, blah blah blah...'

Ok so they let them tank but think its a bad look, now call me a goose, but wouldn't you reckon the would send a message to the umps to keep a tight lid on any attempts by North's bush hacks to hit, bait or niggle? ie, protect the classy thoroughbreds from the bush hack potential hitmen? It's pretty simple, it was even telegraphed by several commentators before the game. Instead, It was like it was the opposite. Letting them wander over the mark, spoil late, just a couple of 50s early would have nipped it in the bud. Easy.

I hate the AFL.

It was a pretty ordinary game. We didn't know how to handle what Norf had done in the first half, but weathered that and then flicked the switch in the second and ran all over them. I don't know why we were worried about Norf trying to hurt us, they don't have that in them, very soft team. They now go into the finals having been run over in their past 2 games, that must be wonderful for their confidence, resting players or no. We've had a real good look at how they set up and will know how to plan for it. Scott's team of recycled old farts and battlers shouldn't trouble many. Hopefully the AFL will do something about those 3 extra players Norf had on the field last night, you know the blokes wearing light blue. One of our old nemesis' Drew Petrie had a shocker and now Alex Rance owns him. Harvey had trouble with Hunt. Nahas is a squib. Grimes was really good from go to whoa. Personally I think we're looking good, that second half was a nice little tune up. We know next week is a different challenge and everything coming out of the club says that we're ready for it. On the commentators I could have sworn I heard Dennis publicly back us for next week more than once. I don't like the guy either, and I think he's lost the art of commentating, he's really losing it, regularly makes mistakes which indicate that his vision is going, Norman Banks called games better and he was legally blind, but we let our hatred of him cloud what we really hear. Besides we have Richo ready to stick up for us every time.

tigersnake said:
Letting them wander over the mark, spoil late, just a couple of 50s early would have nipped it in the bud.

Bit of slinging and pushing after marks (Riewoldt and Lambert) that we've previously been pinged for also. You don't want to see a 50 for those in finals, but if last night had got out of control the umps would've been partly at fault.

As you say, the umpires perceived things the other way around - Chaplin reported for an open hand, Vlastuin penalised after Turner initiated a push and shove.

Not the worst umpiring of all time but at least two of the three shouldn't get a final (6 & 21). Stevic is one of the better ones these days and was passable.

tigersnake said:
I really hate the AFL. OK they let North tank, we can argue about that, I think it sucks but put that aside...

OK so they say to North 'OK you can tank, but we don't like it, bad look, blah blah blah...'

Ok so they let them tank but think its a bad look, now call me a goose, but wouldn't you reckon the would send a message to the umps to keep a tight lid on any attempts by North's bush hacks to hit, bait or niggle? ie, protect the classy thoroughbreds from the bush hack potential hitmen? It's pretty simple, it was even telegraphed by several commentators before the game. Instead, It was like it was the opposite. Letting them wander over the mark, spoil late, just a couple of 50s early would have nipped it in the bud. Easy.

I hate the AFL.
Agree, they didn't go out to king hit anyone and make it obvious but like Essendon last week they were sneaky the way they went about it. Not sure it was us who started the defensive game I think it was North that sat back and tried to hit us on the rebound hence why Jack and Ty were up against two opponents each in the first half. And the umpires.............wtf............ they hacked held and pushed all night and got away with it! A quite word from Dimma to Wayne this week wouldn't do any harm. And what about the holding the ball decision where not sure who jumped to take the ball talked in mid air .........holding the ball ! are you kidding me.
rant over ;D go Tiges

That was probably the quickest team North have picked in ten years. Their plan was too make our guys chase all night. That was why they had all the extras in defence. Use pace to harass when we had the ball and pace and space when they had it to force chasing.

They had half a team, we were Half-ar$ed and probably only played one quarter and a bit.

Next week will be interesting. If we play them on Sunday, the extra couple of days will undo the effects of any fatigue that they were trying to force. In any case, we were still running hard at the end. They weren't.

TOT70 said:
That was probably the quickest team North have picked in ten years. Their plan was too make our guys chase all night. That was why they had all the extras in defence. Use pace to harass when we had the ball and pace and space when they had it to force chasing.

They had half a team, we were Half-ar$ed and probably only played one quarter and a bit.

Next week will be interesting. If we play them on Dunday, the extra couple of days will undo the effects of any fatigue that they were trying to force. In any case, we were still running hard at the end. They weren't.
And putting in a bunch of old farts won't help with that. When Vickery went on a bit of a rampage in the last after being held for 3 quarters I was reminded of the old adage that the big blokes don't get any shorter the longer the game goes.

Knowing that wiil win knowing that we play them again we couldn't played any bad and soft as we can. Well played and coached.
Next week will be on our turf at the G
.....bring it on.....

evo said:
In the first half Hardwicks achilles heal was revealed again. The way Hansen just floated around our half back picking off everything was reminiscent of McGovern against the Eagles earlier this year. It stuck out like dogs balls at the ground.

Unsurprisingly once Houli was sent down to man up the spare we won easily.

It's essential that we play 6 on 6 in our forward during the finals.
Great call evo.

We need make sure that doesn't happen next week. Its a bloody shame Griffiths isn't fit to play. When Vickery goes out of the forward 50 to ruck we are even further exposed.

McBean maybe??

TOT70 said:
Next week will be interesting. If we play them on Sunday, the extra couple of days will undo the effects of any fatigue that they were trying to force. In any case, we were still running hard at the end. They weren't.

Exactly what I was thinking TOT. That'll be their karma.

SkillzThatKillz said:
Bit of karma for Kayne Turner after he kneed Vlastuin in the face.

Yeah that was my first thought when he went down too. It was a low act, the knee to Floss, definitely deliberate. And Floss knew it, thought he was gonna rip his head off. I love Floss.

But yeah the karma bus hits hard sometimes

Smoking Aces said:
Great call evo.

We need make sure that doesn't happen next week. Its a bloody shame Griffiths isn't fit to play. When Vickery goes out of the forward 50 to ruck we are even further exposed.

McBean maybe??

Agree, good call by Evo, but I think it's a bit of a bonus this happened, North have really shown their hand on the tactics they will use next week. We just have to stop bombing it deep to the forward line to Jack and Tyrone who will be double teamed every time.

I would give licence to Lids, Houli, Ellis, Flossy and Dusty to play on and have a ping from 45 out on the run. I would also get the mids to lower their eyes and look for our better kicking flankers again out around the 50. North defend deep very well with numbers. You need to stretch their zone out and create some holes. Once that is done our big guys will get a few one on ones, like Vickery did in the last quarter.