Game day thread - Tiges vs Freo rnd 17 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game day thread - Tiges vs Freo rnd 17

When am I allowed to say "sack the coaches"?

Too soon? This group of players is better than their on field performances and are heading for the wooden spoon.
Newman, Rutter Teague and Zeibell need to go elsewhere. Coaching staff are deplorable. Zone defence and when the opposition play chip kick it around we are always caught out. "Smile" man up u idiots.

Reactions: 1 users
Goes missing for a month? What month would that be?

He’s easily our most consistent goalkicker, and has only had less than 15 touches twice this year (one of which was round 1 where he booted 3).

Plenty of tigers have gone missing for large chunks of the season, but Shai isn’t one of them.

Where I do agree with you is that he can be selfish, often tries to do too much, and isn’t a 4 quarter player. I think it’s just standing out a bit more at the moment given how many non-contributors the team is carrying every week.
Your right BS, if we get rid of players like Baker, Bolton etc and get a whole lot of 1st rounders in who are they going to learn from, Dow, Sony, Campbell, Ralphsmith, Cumberland, Ryan , Mansell, Banks etc etc etc. We will be down for 10 years. Can't let your top end talent leave especially Baker, Bolton, Balta etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Zips round up
Rioli, tried hard to open up space for team mates but made some horrible errors too.
Big V wonderful footballer, but him & Broad can't do it on there own every single week.
BigV kicking has been poor the last 2 weeks too.
Miller is a massive cat. Needs to use his knees more and jump into packs rather sitting at the bottom, he needs to crash and smash them.
Brown. The defender that tackles using his fingers to tackle. He must be leading the 'broken tackles' category in the AFL. Doesn't like putting his body on the line either.
Short and Baker absolutely useless, premiership players doing sweet FA. No wonder the kids don't show any fight.
Mansel Campbell & Cumberland are all delist material.
Flappers has run out of steam, anything he did last night turn into something for Fremantle.
McCouglan needs another full preseason. Needs to bulid his engine into a Bradshaw type engine. Run all day.
Blight looked like a WAFL player, but has something to work with.
Kosi alongside Nakas was our best.
Tarranto and Hopper busted there guts out but Hopper stand up mate.
Bolton, if we lose him get ready for 4 wooden spoons. Not just because of the 4 goals he is a true small foward and he creates.
Sony, what & who thought he would be a good pick up? Useless.
Banks, came on and Was ok but he never does anything when he gets a full game either.
Balta is the most uncomfortable full forward I've ever seen. He is always 2 seconds away or 3 metres from getting the ball. He got beaten by a bloke that was out for 7 weeks.

Yze. Has destroyed us, we played with heart and fought in games. He has turned us into a Melbourne clone, no back bone, heartless and listless. Quack Quack had us playing some quality late last year and it looks like the players wanted him but the clowns choosing the next coach didn't take them into account.

P.s anyone else playing freo last night wouldve been up by 5 goals at half time.
They will straight sets it out of the finals.
What a shiit side on paper besides Bradshaw and Serong & Young the rest are average.

Reactions: 4 users
Rioli 16 disposals, Vlaustin 14, Short 13,. Miller 13, Brown 11, Blight 9. 5 of the top 6 disposal winners. Something wrong here.
I thought these half time disposal stats were pretty extraordinary at half time in respect to our backline above. Ordinary behaviour resumed in the 2nd half. 2nd half Rioli had 10 disposals, Vlaustin 5, Short 11,. Miller 4, Brown 2 Blight 4.

Balta up front in the meantime Treacy running riot. Same as last week .When is Yze gunna learrn Balta aint a Jack. Never will be..
Yze has no options. Forward line is a shambles, tall and small. Worst going around by far. Balta had 4 goal assists out of 7 goals. For the record at this poor sorry stage of our season I'd play our best players in their best positions ie Balta back.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a thread that I tend to stay away from until the emotion dies down but there is one comment I would make about last night's game.
Freo are number 1 in the AFL in clearances and very high up in contested possessions. After being down in the 1st quarter, especially in centre clearances, we fought back and won contested possession and won the clearances. That was the status at 3 quarter time as well, so it wasn't last quarter junk time.
Those stats are only to make the point that you don't achieve that result against a team so highly rated as a contested based team without having a crack.
Any comments that our team was not having a crack and was lacking effort last night are just plain wrong imo.
Right now we aren't good enough, we aren't getting reward for our effort.

Reactions: 15 users
This is a thread that I tend to stay away from until the emotion dies down but there is one comment I would make about last night's game.
Freo are number 1 in the AFL in clearances and very high up in contested possessions. After being down in the 1st quarter, especially in centre clearances, we fought back and won contested possession and won the clearances. That was the status at 3 quarter time as well, so it wasn't last quarter junk time.
Those stats are only to make the point that you don't achieve that result against a team so highly rated as a contested based team without having a crack.
Any comments that our team was not having a crack and was lacking effort last night are just plain wrong imo.
I agree, it's not overall lack of effort, we matched them in clearances, tackles, contested. Damning stat for me is metres gained 6699 to 5631. Bounces 3 to 12. It is the ability to spread and run. I think overall we're a very slow team.

Reactions: 3 users
He's struck me from the outset as just a handy VFL type. What AFL traits does he manifest. His disposal is not anything like elite at this level as some rave.
This is the frustration
His actual body movement can appear silky smooth as he decides whether to pinpoint a pass with his left or right - but then he butchers it anyway
And he doesn’t get it enough in the first place

Go to go back before we go forward but where we are has only one upside No 1 draft pick that is if we cannot beat LoL Norf. Maybe Alistair will manage a few for that game. If he does so do we.

Bordering on unwatchable

Umps and these clowns at foxtel with their Freo duffel coats
It was at this point I turned off. Not interested in watching the umps make crazy calls. We were alway going to lose but the umpires calls made “it by how much?”

The effort was there, and maybe the contested ball is the thing that Yze is working on. The talent simply isn’t there, and it’s going to take a long time to develop it. This isn’t going to be fixed by 2 drafts.

Thought I'd allow a good nights sleep to reflect upon last nights game.....

It's a strange emotion that I felt when NORF won yesterday! I was actually happy that we were now possible/likely to win the wooden spoon and what DRAFT advantage that may or may not provide (especially with the TAS draft coming in a few years.

When we beat Sydney in Rd 4 (?) we showed that the team was starting to gel under the new Coach and that our older players still had firepower - especially where Lynch provided a focal point and the other forwards were competitive against the next best defenders......

Then injury Armageddon struck: never have I seen our beloved Tigers so decimated by injury and rightly or wrongly there came a point when (put simply) we were not vying for the eight .... we weren't even vying for ninth!!! :)

Our midfield went from: Dusty, Prestia, Taranto, Hopper, Graham, to a bunch of 20-22you kids

So - as much as it hurt - I accepted each game for what it was:

a. a chance to blood and see whether our juniors can take the next steps
b. recognition that (on occasion) senior players would not be at 100% because there was questionable outcome (especially when the KPI might not be to WIN necessarily)
c. a chance to develop the gameplan under YZE

etc etc

For example - there's no doubt in my mind that Balta offers more playing back and this can limit scoreline damage - but - in 2025 - assuming Gibcus, Young and Blight (possibly Miller) resume well - then his role is forward with Lynch and Mykelti - so lets play him forward and work development around this.

Lets face it Kotschiske is an absolute HACK. He has no role in 2025 unless injuries again cruel us - but - in the interim we use him as part of the structure/development and then farewell him back to VFL ASAP.

Therefore - last night - when Rioli, Baker, Vlastuin, Broad (even Shai to a degree) played 'poor' games I accept (hope?) that the club has the bigger picture in mind - even to the point where I hope the players protect their body somewhat and avoid more passengers on the Long Term injury list.

As to the juniors.............. well .................... last night we saw again (as will the Coaching staff) that some of them are questionable.

Maybe they simply don't have it?
Maybe they are being played out of position?
Maybe some of them were signed up questionably?

BUT - we have to believe that the club and YZE know what their doing.............

I for one was screaming for Hardwicks scalp at the end of 2016 and I've eaten enough humble pie to last a life time.

IMHO Cumberland, Ralphsmith, Dow, Sonsie, Mansell, Campbell are all concerning. They simply aren't showing sufficient potential
IMHO Sampson, Blight, McAuliffe, Brown, Young and possibly Miller do

IMHO Prestia, Grimes, Dusty and several others will be leaving (Baker? Bolton?)

As such - lets take the wooden spoon - draft picks - re calibrate - and see what the art of the possible is in 2025 (and onwards)

"Winning games" in 2024 is not the No1 KPI (IMHO)

Our Away Strip - Why do we keep seeing this awful combination of white numbers on a predominantly yellow back? I wrote to the club after first seeing it but no response. Seems like we have to put up with it for this year but I hope we return to our 2017 GF strip next year.

Reactions: 2 users
Our situation is unlike anyone else in the league. We are devoid of top-end talent AND young talent. The best we can hope for with our list is to stay in games, be slightly competitive then lose by ten goals.

Without masterstroke drafting and trading, we are in for a world of hurt for the next 3 years minimum.

For the first time in 15 years, I legitimately felt there was no hope of winning or even getting a positive from the game.

Our situation is unlike anyone else in the league. We are devoid of top-end talent AND young talent. The best we can hope for with our list is to stay in games, be slightly competitive then lose by ten goals.

Without masterstroke drafting and trading, we are in for a world of hurt for the next 3 years minimum.

For the first time in 15 years, I legitimately felt there was no hope of winning or even getting a positive from the game.
Very similar thoughts here JK. Our one potential top end young talent (Gibcus) is injured and this may significantly affect his ability to realise his potential.

Yeah I logged on, read a few comments last night and went to bed. The negative nellies were out in force. We did a lot right last night, but our ball use vs theirs was the clear difference. We couldn't move the ball forward to the advantage of our forwards, they could. Some of that was slow transition both ways for us, but some comes down to skills. I actually thought we played quite well, just things broke down as we were trying to score.

Reactions: 7 users