Game Day Thread - Tigers V Eagles | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day Thread - Tigers V Eagles

Everything looks better when you're playing a side that bad, but still a good performance and hopefully gives us some confidence.

Reactions: 1 user
I still don't know if we're any good or if we beat up a corpse after that game.
Need to string a few performances together yet.
Agree. Looked like we played against witches hats. We take the win and hopefully build the confidence up.

Well that was fun!

Ok, let's just mention the herd of elephants over in the corner of the room - West Coast really are rubbish. They are missing players, the good players they have are clearly out of form or recovering from COVID or something, because those players can play a whole lot better than that. But qudos to Kennedy, 700 goals is a mighty effort and he is a hard player to keep down, does his job, kicks goals.

What did we see from Richmond?

The pressure was better, noticeably so in the forward half, and our defence were much better at creating turnovers. We had much better pressure against Melbourne last week too, but just couldn't sustain it against the current best team in the comp. West Coast were putting little pressure on us so we looked better but you still have to have the anticipation and make the effort.

The run and back up was far better. There were options all over the place when we were challenged. Players had an outlet, there were team mates running past to receive, there were outnumbers we could get advantage from. Much better.

Some of the passes were pinpoint. Makes me think the issue is not so much skill, as skill under pressure. Need to improve on making those passes quicker and under more pressure. But, good signs. Especially early on there was a lot more lowering of the eyes than I have seen this year. Looking for the better option. Need to sort out lowering the eyes when there is less time and space to do so.

Forward line was way better, far more open. Not only were forward moves quicker, there was just more space and the forwards weren't getting in each others way.

Umpiring was hard to notice, as it should be. A few frees missed for us, but that is never so bad when there were a few frees missed for the opposition too. When it only goes one way, that's when you notice the umpires. Some luck both ways is reasonable. I thought our tackling was much better, you could see they were trying not to tackle until the opponent had the ball and zeroing in on the torso, avoiding high tackles. You will always concede a few high tackles, but we were paid the high tackles we copped, as it should be. The 50m penalty to Lynch, really? The umpire clearly called stand and the WCE player moved back, was definitely a correct call. In being a correct call it showed just how bad that rule is.

A few players we need to assess.

Gibcus - F Me, has that guy played 200 AFL level games? He really is a very good player. At his age and experience he really shouldn't be this good, absolute star in the making. Has also played well against the better teams and the WCE forwards are probably the best players they had tonight, when it actually got in their forward 50.

Stack - funny game really. He looked to be near the ball a lot but never quite in the right position. Maybe trying too hard, maybe just a bit of an adjustment to AFL level? Don't know. Effort was clearly there as was intent. Not far off getting a lot more possessions, but I also wonder if his role might have involved some outside pressure. Needs to get a couple more games.

RCD - did a few good things, but went missing for chunks of the game. Is it confidence, ability, the need to adjust to the faster harder game at AFL level? I'm really not sure. He does look a bit tentative, and when he goes for it looks a lot better. RCD needs to back himself a bit more, he needs to take a few more risks. Would persist as we need to know if he can make it.

Shedda - Shedda is a real worry. Something wrong there as we now just how amazing he can be. I am all for getting him to 300 games but maybe a run in the VFL might do his confidence some good. He tried a few things and they didn't work, just seems a bit off his game.

Anyway, a good win where they kept going to the end, nice to see a 100 point win.

DS

Reactions: 14 users
Let's take positives away from the game.
The form of Lynch, Rioli, BigV, Short and Bolton outstanding.
We all know Lambert needs a few games back to regain some tough.
Edwards and Prestia are just there but improvement from either will make us stronger.
Flappers and Castagna as many clangers they both were there hitting the score board. **George must not know which side of the post to aim at. Couldve had 6.
The enjoyment watching Little Rioli was unbelievable and unforgettable.
*Why were we wasting our time playing Parker?
We aren't dead, we are alive and we make a play for it.

Everybody's covered it here but geez I still couldn't believe what I was seeing from the legendarily competitive West Coast Eagles. In their 36 years of existence they've played in 25 finals series. That is astounding. To see multiple players witch hatting it was a strange sight. And some of their stars like Shuey and Kelly totally uncompetitive.... weird. Surely they're not that underdone?

Eagles were pox but it’s not like they were playing their COVID top up side: Witherden, Redden, Shuey, Duggan, Kelly, Hurn, Petrevski Seaton, McGovern, Darling, Cripps, Kennedy, Gaff, Rioli, Ryan, Waterman, Nelson are 16 of their best 22. Strdanica, Dixon, Clark, Naish, West, Edwards may not be best 22. They’re missing Allen, Nicnat, Sheed, Shepherd, Yeo, Barrass missing. We played lots of games last year missing 6 of our best and weren’t as putrid as WC were tonight.

Yeah I was going to say something similar. This was not the worst Eagles side since they were riven by covid. Some credit has to be given to us.

Reactions: 2 users
4 points and a mountain of %

Could be important, probably will be

Reactions: 1 users
Nah not sure what you’re getting at. They said it was our biggest win in 47 years. We won by 4 bigger margins in 1980 alone including 152 against Saints. Not to mention 113 against Saints in 1985 and 151 against Lions in 1996.

Whichever way you slice it they cocked it up bad.
yeah, the reporter said to MJ "kicking your first goal", his first goal was against north last year. give them a microphone and they know all.

I thought the best gaff of the night (pardon the pun) was, when Tigers reached exactly 100 points lead, Brian Taylor say something along the lines of 'Tigers are now MORE THAN 100 points in front'

Reactions: 3 users
Has Robert Walls done his votes yet?

1. T.Kelly
2. L.Shuey
3. N.Fyfe

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
4 points and a mountain of %

Could be important, probably will be
With the extra percentage we should comfortable get 9th. Realistically, based on performances so far this year, we're at best middle of the road. Next 3 games versus Pies, Hawks, Bombers should give us a better indication of where we are this year. The one good thing as it is panning out is that we seem to have a good draw. Play Bombers, Hawks, West Coast, Carlton, Port twice.

My fellow PREnders, Isnt it great waking up a winner. I feel like I have an extra spring in my step.
Yes, we played a poor outfit in the eagles, but the fact we didn't take the foot off the pedal the whole night and won by 109 points and lifted our percentage from 95.3% to 114.4% is what excited me most about last night.

This massive win has made my weekend...

Eagles were pox but it’s not like they were playing their COVID top up side: Witherden, Redden, Shuey, Duggan, Kelly, Hurn, Petrevski Seaton, McGovern, Darling, Cripps, Kennedy, Gaff, Rioli, Ryan, Waterman, Nelson are 16 of their best 22. Strdanica, Dixon, Clark, Naish, West, Edwards may not be best 22. They’re missing Allen, Nicnat, Sheed, Shepherd, Yeo, Barrass missing. We played lots of games last year missing 6 of our best and weren’t as putrid as WC were tonight.

Yeah they are missing Brad Sheppard but he has retired so you can't factor him in.