Game Day Thread - Pies v Tiges Rnd 21 2015 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day Thread - Pies v Tiges Rnd 21 2015

A great win for the history books by the Tigers.

Most evident was the way Rance and Chaplin marshalled the troops in defence.

Vickery had a day out (some say it was because Brown was out for the Pies) - I don't think that would have made any difference.

Maric in the ruck makes Richmond a better team.

Cotchin had a quiet day by his standards and the rest of the mid-field took up the challenge.

Tigers structures were very strong

How can a team win the Inside 50s and go down by 91 points? Amazing defence? Top tackling pressure in the mid-field prevented decent opposition entries?

From the Black and White side -

Collingwood's style and pressure has gone backwards under Buckley. Remember Malthouse with arguably inferior lists took them to two grand finals

From the outside it appears Collingwood is not a happy club - could their be any animosity, in-fighting or just a plain and simple undercurrent of distrust within the club?

Great win Tigers - now to do the same for those dastardly Bombers.

taztiger4 said:
Is anyone aware of the average age & games played of both teams ?

Cheers

Our average age was 25yrs 7mths, 111.6 games played and Collingwood's was 23yrs 11mths, 88.4 games played.

I think Ty's 6th goal just kind of broke the Pies spirit and from that point on it was party time for the Tigers. They started lining up. Has anyone seen when Ellis kicked that goal from the Lloyd tap there's another Tiger player running alongside him (it may have been Batchelor) just begging for the ball so he can get in on the goal fest?

What a fantastic game to see live. The boys turned it on for Dad's 80th birthday (his father and uncle both played for Richmond in the 20s), family flew in from all over to be together at the game. Perfect weather, and a magpie frittata.

Go Toigs! said:
What a fantastic game to see live. The boys turned it on for Dad's 80th birthday (his father and uncle both played for Richmond in the 20s), family flew in from all over to be together at the game. Perfect weather, and a magpie frittata.

:fing32

Go Toigs! said:
What a great day for you. Best wishes for a Happy 80th tiger birthday to your Dad!!!

AFLCA votes
9 Vickery
6 Martin
5 Rance
4 Ellis
3 Maric
2 Hunt
1 Houli

Season
61 Martin (polled in 9 games) 8th
53 Cotchin (8) 15th
42 Rance (7) eq 26th
38 Ellis (9) eq 39th
36 Edwards (6) eq 43rd
30 Deledio (5) eq 62nd
23 Riewoldt (4) eq 87th
20 Houli (5) eq 99th
18 Grigg (4) eq 106th
17 Miles (3) eq 114th
11 Maric (5) eq 149th
9 Hunt (2), Vickery (1) eq 171st
8 Chaplin (1), Vlastuin (3) eq 179th
7 Lambert (2) eq 198th
5 McIntosh (1)eq 221st
1 Hampson, Lennon eq 298th/320

I reckon the diverging fortunes of the Us V Collinwood really underlines how good this steady as she goes rebuild is.

We've paid unders or thereabouts for all our recruits, who have mostly worked out, (we'd be above the average for strike rate IMO). Getting the right players for good prices allows the budget to stay in the black while memberships rise and sponsers get on board. Complete opposite of the old Richmond, the hail mary messiah-chasing, short term Richmond.

Collingwood look to be going in the opposite direction. Lynch, White, That overrated midfielder from Hawthorn whose name I always forget, Adams, Greenwood, Varcoe, I'd argue all of these have either underperformed or only just met expectations. No one exceeding expectations. And I'd also bet they've paid thereabouts or overs.

I'm talking about imports here, not draftees. And I'm talking about overall trends, of course there will be exceptions to any trend, nobody gets them 100% wrong or right.

Us: Paying unders or thereabouts for players who have met or exceeded expectations

Them: Paying therabouts or overs for players who have not met or have just met expectations.

Collingwood are exactly where we were in 2012. Saturday’s game reminded me of the way we used to play. They had heaps of inside 50s, they locked the ball in their forward line for ages, they set up their zone behind the play and belted the ball forward with effort and not much science repeatedly.

The total reward for this repeated effort is the occasional goal and lots of points. Meanwhile, the other team gets the ball out behind the zone three or four times a quarter and score a goal each time. In the second quarter Collingwood had umpteen inside 50s for a total of no goals and seven points. From limited access, we had several goals and they were slowly becoming dejected.

We belted them on Saturday but they have been playing this way all year- lots of effort, not much science, not much reward and losing by not much. How many games have they lost by less than two goals this year?

Sound familiar? That was us in 2012.

TOT70 said:
Collingwood are exactly where we were in 2012. Saturday’s game reminded me of the way we used to play. They had heaps of inside 50s, they locked the ball in their forward line for ages, they set up their zone behind the play and belted the ball forward with effort and not much science repeatedly.

The total reward for this repeated effort is the occasional goal and lots of points. Meanwhile, the other team gets the ball out behind the zone three or four times a quarter and score a goal each time. In the second quarter Collingwood had umpteen inside 50s for a total of no goals and seven points. From limited access, we had several goals and they were slowly becoming dejected.

We belted them on Saturday but they have been playing this way all year- lots of effort, not much science, not much reward and losing by not much. How many games have they lost by less than two goals this year?

Spot on, great post

TOT70 said:

There is a difference Tottie.
We were rising up from the arse end of the ladder, they're coming down from the upper end of the ladder and stagnating for the moment. We had some glimmer of hope to stem the frustration, they need to find some patience to avert the frustration.
Big question for Eddie n Bucks will be whether they can ride out the storm if next year sees them in a similar situation to the last couple. They've got plenty of youngsters coming up but they've also been paying some decent dollars to imports with out having much to show for their efforts.

TigerMasochist said:
There is a difference Tottie.
We were rising up from the arse end of the ladder, they're coming down from the upper end of the ladder and stagnating for the moment. We had some glimmer of hope to stem the frustration, they need to find some patience to avert the frustration.
Big question for Eddie n Bucks will be whether they can ride out the storm if next year sees them in a similar situation to the last couple. They've got plenty of youngsters coming up but they've also been paying some decent dollars to imports with out having much to show for their efforts.

there is another issue in that in the last 2 seasons - they have bluffed their supporters into thinking they were finals bound with the new players (at 8 and 3), but then have self destructed in both seasons - I would be getting a tad frustrated if the tigers teased as much.

Agree - media wont be so kind if they miss the 8 in 2016

It occurred to me the other day that there were 3 former club captains, stars of the comp who were all appointed senior coach of those clubs at around the same time and each of whom had no prior coaching experience (Buckley sat under Malthouse for a year or two). Out of those, Voss and Hird have gone. Buckley is on thin ice.

Goes to show that being a star captain doesn't guarantee you coaching ability. Also goes to show that decent apprenticeships are worthwhile

TOT70 said:

I hate the thought that Collingwood will be a powerhouse then in 2018.