Game Day Thread - Pies v Tiges Rnd 21 2015 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day Thread - Pies v Tiges Rnd 21 2015

BrisTiger24 said:
It occurred to me the other day that there were 3 former club captains, stars of the comp who were all appointed senior coach of those clubs at around the same time and each of whom had no prior coaching experience (Buckley sat under Malthouse for a year or two). Out of those, Voss and Hird have gone. Buckley is on thin ice.

Goes to show that being a star captain doesn't guarantee you coaching ability. Also goes to show that decent apprenticeships are worthwhile

I reckon Buckley is a very good coach. He's also a super impressive person.

Actually Collingwood in general doesn't offend me as much as Essendon and Carlton.

Being the biggest and baddest in the AFL, the Pies suffer from the expection that they'll play finals every year.
If you take away the weight of expections, then Collingwood are going about a slow rebuild - just as we did.
On Saturday we were nearly 2 years older and roughly 20 games more experienced than the Pies.
The media and their supporters still have a "finals expection" and haven't yet grasped what's happening at Pie land.
Buckley is doing a Dimma - a slow ground up rebuild - and it will pay dividends in 2017 and beyond...2c.

Carter said:
I reckon Buckley is a very good coach. He's also a super impressive person.

He does seem impressive but I'm not sure about him as a coach. The fact is that they have imploded 2 years in a row after being 8-3 and missed the finals. That's a very hard position from which to miss finals.

Next season will be judgement day for Buckley IMO.

Carter said:
Actually Collingwood in general doesn't offend me as much as Essendon and Carlton.

I do agree with this. I hate Collingwood but nowhere near as much as I hate Carlton and Essendon, in that order.

Bit of history to be broken ( hopefully ) on Saturday night. Not since 1932 home and away season have we defeated Carton Ess and Coll TWICE in the same season!!

BrisTiger24 said:
It occurred to me the other day that there were 3 former club captains, stars of the comp who were all appointed senior coach of those clubs at around the same time and each of whom had no prior coaching experience (Buckley sat under Malthouse for a year or two). Out of those, Voss and Hird have gone. Buckley is on thin ice.

Goes to show that being a star captain doesn't guarantee you coaching ability. Also goes to show that decent apprenticeships are worthwhile

I think it is unhealthy for ex-players to not venture outside their club environment before going into coaching. It is just my opinion, but I reckon it would be much better for these ex-players to widen their experience at other clubs, get exposed to fresh ideas and different football cultures.

mld said:
I think it is unhealthy for ex-players to not venture outside their club environment before going into coaching. It is just my opinion, but I reckon it would be much better for these ex-players to widen their experience at other clubs, get exposed to fresh ideas and different football cultures.
Its one of the great things Hardwick has going for him, premiership experience at 3 clubs as a coach or player. you can't buy that experience.

Ridley said:
He does seem impressive but I'm not sure about him as a coach. The fact is that they have imploded 2 years in a row after being 8-3 and missed the finals. That's a very hard position from which to miss finals.

Buckley's definitely improved as a coach, but he was coming from a very low base. He's had to learn on the job and he doesn't have the cattle that he once did, plus he doesn't seem to be able to get them over the line when it counts. If the Pies don't make finals in 2016, Bucks is gone. Not even Eddie will cop missing out 3 years in a row.

Ridley said:

It was funny watching Garry Lyon tear into Hutchy the other night on FC when Hutchy said Buckley should be extended.

Lyon asked why? he's taken the team further down the ladder with each passing season.

Baloo said:
There isn't much evidence that Buckley is a good coach

may not be a good coach.

but bringing the pies down the ladder is great for everyone.

se7en said:
may not be a good coach.

but bringing the pies down the ladder is great for everyone.

True, true.

The best part is that he's doing it in such a way that he's not at risk of losing his job yet. By the time they cut him, Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood will be fighting the Wooden Spoon

Isn't it amazing that Richmond, once the Clown Princes of Flakytown, are now the reasonable and measured club that others aspire to mimic?

It just goes to show that everything depends on having the right people in the right places. The arrogant ones like Voss, Hird and Buckley very rarely work out. In Essendon's case, I have always felt that their success was due to the leadership of Kevin Sheedy. He started out humble and driven but ended up as arrogant as any of them and ultimately set in motion events that would cripple his club, much as GR had done at Richmond.

Interesting is all.

If an intelligent person thinks he is the smartest person in the room, he is a danger to everyone else. If a moron thinks he is the smartest person in the room, he is a danger to himself.