Game Day - Richmond Tigers vs GWS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Richmond Tigers vs GWS

Tiger Tuff. said:
I can't believe some of the tripe I've read hear that Dimma shouldn't have fired up and pushed a few players.

My god, it fired us up. It obviously meant a lot to him this week, a lot to Chocco and Lade too. Sure you don't want it every week, but when a good old spray is needed, you make it count. I have no problem with what he did. He adressed them like grown men and it worked.

I think he took the lead from KB. KB gave the players an absolute bake on the big screen at half time. Said they were pathetic and that they had to play better for the supporters who'd come along.

antman said:
The one that really p!ssed me off was the goal kicked from the boundary line in the third... forget the player. Ump puts him on the line, right against the fence. Then he effectively plays on, runs off the line when OUT OF BOUNDS. Surely that's a throw in? I don't know the exact rule here but playing on when out of bounds seems wrong to me.

Good kick though.

Reckon you're right, playing on from outside the line should be a throw in.

AMPS said:
Agree ant. The only thing I didn't like about Shaw's comments was he thought GWS got the raw end if the stick with the umps a couple of times. Yes, Miles was lucky in the last minute to get so much time but the umps cost us at least 3 goals so no way could you say on balance the GWS were stiff with the umps. In that instance yes, but overall no.

A couple of frees to GWS for in the back when they were perfect tackles were head scratchers. Thought the umps evened it up a bit in the last but GWS had the better of the umpiring in the first 3 overall.

antman said:
The one that really p!ssed me off was the goal kicked from the boundary line in the third... forget the player. Ump puts him on the line, right against the fence. Then he effectively plays on, runs off the line when OUT OF BOUNDS. Surely that's a throw in? I don't know the exact rule here but playing on when out of bounds seems wrong to me.

Good kick though.

Devon Smith, kicked a great goal, but I thought the same thing at the time. I remember a few years ago they stopped allowing a handball/play on from behind the boundary line. Why is a player allowed to play on and kick? I'd like to know the actual rule. You could probably enter the field of play then play on. But playing on from behind the boundary line?? Might have to look at the rules of the game.

16.5 DISPOSAL — FROM OUT OF BOUNDS
16.5.1 When Permitted
(a) A Player who is awarded a Free Kick or a Mark may bring the
football into play from beyond the Boundary Line provided that
the Player moves in one direction whilst in the act of Kicking,

Handballing or moving to cross the Boundary Line.
(b) If a Player taking his Kick from outside the Boundary Line
(i) fails to bring the football into play;
(ii) attempts to play on outside the boundary line; or
(iii) does not bring the ball into play in accordance with 16.5.1 (a)
then the ball shall be deemed to be Out of Bounds and the
boundary Umpire shall throw the ball back into play at the spot
where the original Mark or Free Kick took place.

16.5.1 (ii) sums it up. They shouldn't be allowed to play on.

Chamberlain wa seeing a complete poonce to Devon Smith about the angle too he was on and ended up letting him stay in the same spot. Chamberlain just likes being a *smile* I reckon.

mrposhman said:
The guys on Fox Footy were indicating last night that Cloke would be looked at for when he kicked Smith. The one from Cameron was worse as he clearly pushed his leg out to kick.

I didn't see the Greene one but if he spat I think he should be gone for a week. They cannot condone that.

Both were shocking. You could see Cloke look up before orcefully kicking Smith in the face under the guise of going for the ball that wasn't there. Cameron well there was just no excuse there but I doubt any of them will be cited.

CarnTheTiges said:
Greene should at least answer some questions from the MRP, because it's a shocking look for the game. According to Cameron, he and Miles are actually quite good friends off the field.

he - Cameron - didn't seem that impressed with it on Game Day this morning.
i was wondering if Greenes spit was aimed at Miles as an ex team mate?

shawry said:
Chamberlain wa seeing a complete poonce to Devon Smith about the angle too he was on and ended up letting him stay in the same spot. Chamberlain just likes being a *smile* I reckon.

Unless I don't understand the rules, Chamerlain was wrong in doing what he did. The player is required to go straight back from the mark but can follow the boundary fence to get greater distance from the mark.

The good sides can do this. Turn it on when they need to. That's what the Tigers did yesterday. I think Shaw's a little over the top, saying it was more important or better than the wins against Freo or Sydney. I rate them along with the Collingwood win as being our 3 most important wins of the season so far. Funny how people look at the game. Jonathan Brown gave his votes last night. I think Shiel got one and Cotchin got the 3, but he gave the 2 to Houli. Houli played a decent game, but he must have been going purely on possessions, because he had 32. I can't believe he couldn't find space for Rance, Riewoldt or Edwards. I had them all ahead of Houli.

willo said:
Devon Smith, kicked a great goal, but I thought the same thing at the time. I remember a few years ago they stopped allowing a handball/play on from behind the boundary line. Why is a player allowed to play on and kick? I'd like to know the actual rule. You could probably enter the field of play then play on. But playing on from behind the boundary line?? Might have to look at the rules of the game.

16.5 DISPOSAL — FROM OUT OF BOUNDS
16.5.1 When Permitted
(a) A Player who is awarded a Free Kick or a Mark may bring the
football into play from beyond the Boundary Line provided that
the Player moves in one direction whilst in the act of Kicking,

Handballing or moving to cross the Boundary Line.
(b) If a Player taking his Kick from outside the Boundary Line
(i) fails to bring the football into play;
(ii) attempts to play on outside the boundary line; or
(iii) does not bring the ball into play in accordance with 16.5.1 (a)
then the ball shall be deemed to be Out of Bounds and the
boundary Umpire shall throw the ball back into play at the spot
where the original Mark or Free Kick took place.

16.5.1 (ii) sums it up. They shouldn't be allowed to play on.

Thanks Willo.

Seems like a basic error from the umpires to allow this.

It actually happens often in a game. For a split second the player is actually playing out of bounds.

Somewhere along the line the umps started allowing players to come off their line whilst over the boundary.

Don't have a massive problem with it though it does make me laugh.

antman said:
Thanks Willo.

Seems like a basic error from the umpires to allow this.

"Razor" Ray might have to be advised of the rule.
Carter said:
It actually happens often in a game. For a split second the player is actually playing out of bounds.

Somewhere along the line the umps started allowing players to come off their line whilst over the boundary.

Don't have a massive problem with it though it does make me laugh.

Rules are rules Cartman. If you have it, enforce it. Otherwise remove it from the Rules of the game altogether

antman said:

Good kick though.

They always give lattitude in those circumstances despite the rules. It used to annoy me that Franklin was allowed to have a "natural arc" despite it being against the rules.

This is what I hate most about the rules of AFL - umpires choose to enforce certain rules some of the time and not others. Often this magic formula changes mid-season.

Have a set of simple rules and then enforce them. And they wonder why people don't respect umpires.

Yes I wondered about the legality of that kick, but you see it so often I wondered if the rule had been changed. Seems it hasn't. Perhaps there is a new interpretation whereby you ignore this rule unless it is so blatant you can't. :(

percyms said:
Chamberlain should be arrested for impersonating an umpire. That little prick is murdering us. Paying *smile* frees to them and in the next breath ignoring frees to us..

Does anyone know why this garden gnome umpired our game. Looking in the record , he wasn't listed to umpire us, not even as an emergency

Pies game we were behind in the 2nd and may have got in front by halftime and of course last week against the Swans.

puregreen said:
Pies game we were behind in the 2nd and may have got in front by halftime and of course last week against the Swans.
Round 1 against Carlscum we were 3 goals behind in the 2nd quarter