for those that said for years that we'd be better off without richo up forward: | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

for those that said for years that we'd be better off without richo up forward:

I haven't bothered to read all the smug bs about Richo (got fed up fter the first couple of pages) but I do want one thing...

I really want Jack Riwoldt not to be a one man band for his entire career like the idiots at RFC made Richo. I mean we couldn't again make a guy who is a superb contested mark be the only consistent option and goal kicker (even when injured) in the forward line for a decade could we? I think it would be crushing for Riewoldt to have to endure the same *smile* crap Richo had to because no-one else could take a contested mark against good opposition.

Come on Astbury and Griffiths (and whoever we pick up this year) become quality 30-40 goal contributers fellas.

The tv presenters are already paroting 90 inside 50s to Riewoldt, 12 to the next best. And that was different to the Richo show when it ws in full swing in what way?

Richo grew into a Legend for various reasons, but none more than "we, supporters, needed one" in the current era. There are no two ways about it, without Richo what on earth would we have had ?

Job done Richo, however flawed the ride was.

Of the current stock and future .......................... ram as many players who can take a contested mark, chase down and tackle a defender in possession, and above all kick a goal or goal assist as we possibly can and ride the opposition defenders into the turf.

Phantom said:
There was always going to be life after Richo.

All that was needed was to create the opportunity.

Congratulations on Reiwoldt today.

But, we must never return to the situation where we rely on one key forward only.

Opportunities must be shared.

The key forward posts must be shared.

And our future goal-kicking needs to consistently be shared.

i agree. but on the positive, the list management commitee knows this and have drafted accordingly

Jackie Moon said:
true, but richo would probably have bagged 15 today against the same opponent so we're down five goals already....

;)

no, he would have kicked 8.12

TigerForce said:
Progression.

BTW, Channel 7 showed Richo training with the North Sunshine Roadrunners tonight. Richo in a St Kilda guernsey must have had some Saints supporters' imaginations running.

That could be a junior guernsey from his Launceston days ...

Love the big fella for what he gave to the club, and am glad to see another Taswegian forward continuing the legacy of Hart, Roach & Richo.

Richo was always part of the problem, never the solution.

Richo's only a legend to supporters who know no better.

Give me a Michael Roach or Jack Riewoldt any day.

Move on....the Richo (horror) years are over!!!

:clap :clap :clap

Jackie Moon said:
true, but richo would probably have bagged 15 today against the same opponent so we're down five goals already....

;)

Ian4 said:
no, he would have kicked 8.12

matthew richardson career accuracy: 59%

jack riewoldt career accuracy: 61%

no significant difference in goal kicking accuracy between the two players.

Jackie Moon said:
matthew richardson career accuracy: 59%

jack riewoldt career accuracy: 61%

no significant difference in goal kicking accuracy between the two players.

i'm tipping those stats do not include out of bounds on the full?

Ian4 said:
i'm tipping those stats do not include out of bounds on the full?

I'm sick of that argument being used, he only ever had a few OotF each year, it would hardly make an impact on his accuracy.

ZeroGame said:
I'm sick of that argument being used, he only ever had a few OotF each year, it would hardly make an impact on his accuracy.

Reckon Richo would have had hs fair share of out of bounds on the full. Maybe the stats man can enlighten us. However, on the flip side reckon he would have maybe the best result for goals kicked outside 50 from the boundary line too. That was Richo in a nutshell. Would miss the unmissable and kick the ungettable.

Jackie Moon said:
you're right.

matthew richardson: 282 games , 800 goals, 13-time leading goal-kicker, 2007 best and fairest winner, 140 brownlow medal votes.

Jack Riewoldt: 58 games, 102 goals.

as i said, wait ten years and then make an assessment.

Well you wait 10 years. I am interested in comparisons as time ticks by because I happen to think Reiwoldt is tracking very very nicely.

GoodOne said:
Reckon Richo would have had hs fair share of out of bounds on the full. Maybe the stats man can enlighten us. However, on the flip side reckon he would have maybe the best result for goals kicked outside 50 from the boundary line too. That was Richo in a nutshell. Would miss the unmissable and kick the ungettable.
I'm sure over 18 years he had quite a few, however out of 1351 scoring shots, there wouldn't be enough to make a massive impact overall to his %. He had perhaps one every 4-6 weeks, not like it was 1-2 a game.

ZeroGame said:
I'm sure over 18 years he had quite a few, however out of 1351 scoring shots, there wouldn't be enough to make a massive impact overall to his %. He had perhaps one every 4-6 weeks, not like it was 1-2 a game.

Reckon there'd be quite a few more than 1 every 4-6 weeks. Let's face it Richo wasn't the most accurate kick in front of goal, especially at the shorter distances. You'd have to have been living on Pluto to not know this. But as I said, he was an enigma because he would then slot goals from 55metres out on the boundary line with ease.

GoodOne said:
Reckon there'd be quite a few more than 1 every 4-6 weeks. Let's face it Richo wasn't the most accurate kick in front of goal, especially at the shorter distances. You'd have to have been living on Pluto to not know this. But as I said, he was an enigma because he would then slot goals from 55metres out on the boundary line with ease.

I'd love someone to have the stats to prove it, but I still think this was blown way out of proportion and he didn't do it anywhere near as much as some people say he did. The fact he tended to do it from simple set shots was the main reason for this perception that he did it a lot.

Ian4 said:
just in regards to the topic of this thread... "for those that said for years that we'd be better off without richo up forward," well i was one who was very strong in my opinion that richo should retire. i'm not boasting, it's just fact. would jack have kicked 10 goals today, and 30 in the past 5 weeks if richo was there? of course not.

Totally agree. Jay shulz et al continuously proved that they were worthy substitutes to the key forward post.

ZeroGame said:

would love to see OOTF stats... richo compared to other key forwards in the 00's. i don't think it'll be a huge stretch to suggest richo would be no. 1

ZeroGame said:

ok, so your guess is perhaps once every 4-6 weeks. how many games did you see in richo's career, because i reckon you're way out. i actually think once every second week isn't at all unrealistic... which would effectively drop his kicking accuracy by close to 10% if he had 1351 scoring shots. and even if it was every 4 weeks it would drop by close to 5%. in comparison, how often did matthew lloyd kick it OOTF? rarely ever.

Sometime ago, say a few years, I posted a piece about another very good Richmond goalkicker from another less successful era for Richmond - Ray Poulter.

Ray Poulter played for the Tiges from 1946-1956. In that 10 years, he played as a key forward, mostly CHF, in 170 games and kicked 351 goals.
Before the successful "Hafey era" of the 60s & 70s, Poulter was about 4th on Richmond's all time list of goalkickers behind such names as 'Skinny' Titus, 'Dicky Harris' & 'Capt Blood'.
Of course, Titus, Harris & Dyer also played in Tiger premierships, which maintained their legendary status.

My father repeats that in his time Ray Poulter was every bit as good as Richo.
He was the Richo of his era.
Unfortunately, he was also of an era where the Tigers didn't play any finals.

Now, in my mind, Richo has been an excellent forward for the Tiges.
He holds the record for the greatest aggregate goals by an individual on the MCG.
He probably holds the greatest aggregate marks by an individual on the MCG too.
He's certainly a club legend.

Hopefully, in his new role, Richo will become a bigger legend to Tigerland, in much the same way Jack Dyer did through the medium of TV, League Teams etc.

But I also wonder .....

If the Tigers do go on to have another era like the one under Hafey and that Jack, or whoever, is a key forward in that great era, ..... an era like that may produce another 2 or 3 great forwards, like Hart, Bartlett & Roach (although Roach came just after Hafey left) .......

Anyway, I just wonder .....

P.S. I see Ray Poulter still isn't in the RichmondFC Hall of Fame.
Being part of a 'poor' era does confine you to obscurity.

When Richo had people that could actually kick to a leading player he and the tigers were doing well. That wasnt the case the the majority of his career though. I dont think any blame can be leveled at Richo, he marked more than any mortal man could and certainly kicked well enough for goal.

Ian4 said:
would love to see OOTF stats... richo compared to other key forwards in the 00's. i don't think it'll be a huge stretch to suggest richo would be no. 1

ok, so your guess is perhaps once every 4-6 weeks. how many games did you see in richo's career, because i reckon you're way out. i actually think once every second week isn't at all unrealistic... which would effectively drop his kicking accuracy by close to 10% if he had 1351 scoring shots. and even if it was every 4 weeks it would drop by close to 5%. in comparison, how often did matthew lloyd kick it OOTF? rarely ever.
I'm sorry but once ever 2-4 weeks is ridiculous, especially over his 18 year career. For the first 4-5 years of his career he wasn't that erratic, especially in his 27 goal 3 half season and 91 goal 49 following season.

Plus if you take one OotF every 4 weeks his accuracy drops from 59.2% to 56.3% a difference of 2.9%, I still don't think it was that often, but doubt anyone has the stats.