Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

I have very little faith in the mainsteam media, and that extends to footy media. Good example is the reporting on channel 9 today re ccj and stack. They drum it up as if they're gonna be sacked. When you watch the actual story, it just says they are looking at each player very closely - both are contracted till end of next year. Nothing about sacking them. Just crap if you ask me.

Reactions: 2 users
I have very little faith in the mainsteam media, and that extends to footy media. Good example is the reporting on channel 9 today re ccj and stack. They drum it up as if they're gonna be sacked. When you watch the actual story, it just says they are looking at each player very closely - both are contracted till end of next year. Nothing about sacking them. Just crap if you ask me.
Yes, Dimma and Peggy's statements indicate anger and frustration but they don't indicate that the pair of idiots are gone. More like they'll be given the chance to redeem themselves if they so choose.

Just to add to this, I did a review of the financial statements when the AFL released them. The cost increases in club land have largely followed the increased revenue. The increases in corporate costs (AFL House etc) have increased way in advance of the revenue increase under Gill, which has been impacting margins and therefore safety nets. I can't find where I saved the info but the increase in cost (ie. reduction in efficiency or cost increase above and beyond the revenue increase) was largely in the region of 10's of millions of $'s.

Just imagine if they had better cost control, maybe a lot of peoples jobs would have been saved at club land as the AFL would have had access to a lot more available cash for the downturn. All this talk about jobs being lost at AFL HQ but really those jobs should not have been there in the 1st place.
This is typical of the Corporate World. Head Office grows off the back of Operations until the people in Head Office start to think that they are the operation.

The AFL would have to be one of the most bloated, corrupt, inept and unaccountable organisations in Australia. Apart from securing billion dollar TV rights - which anyone could secure with the eye balls the AFL attracts - they are a constant stream of #$%@ ups, pissing away good money after bad.
Caro was guaranteed to give me shites every time the new to deal was finalised. She made it sound like the AFlL exec of the day had just invented penicillin.

Reactions: 1 users
Jeff K has been on about HQ size since his first presidency.

For this who don't like for profit enterprises this is what can happen when management aren't accountable to shareholders. The Commission does not have the same obligations as a Board.

Clubs have little influence as most are on life support from HQ.

Thanks @22nd Man and @sconies for your good work. ... I've been banging on about this *smile* forever when it comes to HO...
From the moment the shifty greek (apologies to all our non shifty greek friends) sat his arse in the seat and stooged the commission into a renumeration package linked to all sorts of kpi's .... no doubt including the size of his staff. ... these prixs have turned the competition into a mechanism to enhance their private wealth.

People in the know. .... Let's call him a high profile club president with massive conflicts of interest who should have been providing pushback, joined in as he realized this was a gravy train you had to be on!

Don't get me started on that multi million dollar AFL Sensation fiasco they opened in the city years ago... hmmm , who was the major shareholder for that flop?

Just to add to this, I did a review of the financial statements when the AFL released them. The cost increases in club land have largely followed the increased revenue. The increases in corporate costs (AFL House etc) have increased way in advance of the revenue increase under Gill, which has been impacting margins and therefore safety nets. I can't find where I saved the info but the increase in cost (ie. reduction in efficiency or cost increase above and beyond the revenue increase) was largely in the region of 10's of millions of $'s.

Just imagine if they had better cost control, maybe a lot of peoples jobs would have been saved at club land as the AFL would have had access to a lot more available cash for the downturn. All this talk about jobs being lost at AFL HQ but really those jobs should not have been there in the 1st place.

Isn't it interesting no one in the media is really asking hard questions here.
Wouldn't be some not wanting to rock the boat.

Isn't it interesting no one in the media is really asking hard questions here.
Wouldn't be some not wanting to rock the boat.

It is interesting. I was wondering why anyone hasn't, but I guess being journos purely on AFL, I'm sure the AFL has the ability to "bury" a journo who releases stories they don't want released.

I knew I had the data somewhere. Take a look here.

The %'s are the % of revenue. As you can see "Operating expenses" which are the costs of the AFL themselves, have grown from 2010 by 174% or 17% per annum compared to revenue of 116% or 12% per annum. The increase as a % of revenue was from 32.8% up to 41.6%. If the AFL operating expenses were still the same % of revenue that they were in 2010 or even 2011, they would be around $48m-$70m lower, thats the increase they have incurred over and above the revenue increase. Theoretically as these are largely corporate expenses, they shouldn't even increase at the same rate as revenue.

Take a look at the TPP over the same time. TPP has increased by 81% over the same time (as the AFL costs have increased by 174%) or 8% per annum, however we have 2 additional teams since then. If you look at TPP per club, they have increased by 60% or 6% per annum HALF of the revenue increase. All this crap that the revenue increases have largely been spent on increasing player salaries is quite frankly *smile*.

In fact if you just look at the 10 year movement, so from 2010-2019 revenue increased by $427m / year, AFL costs increased by $210m (49% of the revenue increase), the TPP went up by $102m, but $25.5m is related to the new clubs so the existing club TPP has increased $77m since 2010 or 18% of the revenue increase.

Why again are the clubs having to search for so much of the "gap" created by Covid? The AFL costs have increased from $120m/ annum in 2010 to $330m / annum in 2019, a whopping $210m increase in annual spend. What the hell are we as fans getting from that increase??

1599649452869.png

Reactions: 3 users
Says it all really....

Yes good on Connor indeed.
There's been more pushback on the AFL media parasites this year from those inside than I've seen for many years.
Like many I've basically stopped watching, reading or listening to any footy media outside of the games.
Hope the AFL & AFLPA are paying attention. Many have had enough.

Reactions: 5 users
Caro raged against us on real footy, the other 2 scoffed at our ‘kumbaya’ mantra and supposed holier than thou attitude but all stopped short of saying a premiership would be tainted when Caro asked the question. It’s funny but I don’t think I’ve heard the club big noting itself, just answering questions honestly when people ask. I am surprised the age journalists can’t see past the hype. Caro has gone over the top on bagging the tigers lately.
Been a quiet 3-4 yrs for her, bagging us used to be her hobby horse. I was shocked when i found out she's a Tigers supporter...

Reactions: 1 user
Big Article
Tigers aren't kings anymore
West coast have surged past Richmond's 100,434 members this year, with 100,709 signed members for the 2020 season.

Firstly who gives a toss and secondly theyre from a state with 3 million people in it.
33% in a 2 football club state :rotfl1
They are counting waiting list members as actual Members...

• Angry
With +100k members maybe someone should ask why is it that WCE still wasn't able to fill Optus Stadium for home games pre COVID?
I call BS on Geelong as well, they apparently have 60k yr on yr yet never sell out a game at a ground which holds 36k & only thier fans are given access to those games....

Reactions: 4 users

I wouldn't mind betting the jobs lost were at the bottom end of the pay scale while the top end go along untouched....

Reactions: 4 users
I enjoyed Connolly's take on the Richmond implosion.

Especially his dig at Cornes:

"This is a club that has had success, that have been so strong culturally - now I just think the success has almost gone to their head," ventured commentator Kane Cornes, admittedly not generally known for his nuanced take on matters football.

Reactions: 11 users
its a decent article by Connolly - he brushes aside the minor incidents for what they were ..
sure Covid exaggerated the misdemeanors, but hey ho ..

Have a look at this, the hearld sun.
A Victorian newspaper rapt that a western Australian club has surpassed us in members.
What a disgrace
View attachment 10449
Isn’t the real story that Richmond have maintained 100000 members whilst so many other Victorian clubs’ memberships have gone southwards ?
i would have thought our numbers were a triumph in a state with no live footy at all

Reactions: 11 users