First Game of the Season Poll- Vs Freo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

First Game of the Season Poll- Vs Freo

How will you follow the game?

• Live at the ground

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Telly

Votes: 41 57.7%
  • Radio

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • PRE

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Won't follow it

Votes: 9 12.7%

• Total voters
Funny people being critical of a bunch of under 12's and first gamers.

Anyone who expected anything other than match fitness and heavy loss are kidding themselves.

When the collective is weak, so will be the individuals.

Tigers of Old said:
Conca aside, the disappointments came more from the senior fringe players tonight.

If they're fringe players when they're being carried along by the A and B graders, how can we expect them to perform at a higher level when they have a bunch of weak bodied kids and reserve players in support?

They are the 'role' players, and by definition, they require better players around them to allow them to play those roles. They are not the play makers, or leaders, especially of 3rd string team.

Midsy said:

Anyone who expected anything other than match fitness and heavy loss are kidding themselves.

Midsy said:
If they're fringe players when they're being carried along by the A and B graders, how can we expect them to perform at a higher level when they have a bunch of weak bodied kids and reserve players in support?

They are the 'role' players, and by definition, they require better players around them to allow them to play those roles. They are not the play makers, or leaders, especially of 3rd string team.

Spot on twice Midsy, good posting.

Midsy said:

A good point however some of the kids/rookies showed more ability than their more senior counterparts. Those fringe players were given the opportunity to stake their claim and not many of them convinced.

Tigers of Old said:
A good point however some of the kids/rookies showed more ability than their more senior counterparts. Those fringe players were given the opportunity to stake their claim and not many of them convinced.

Hopefully that means our fringe players this year will not only be better, but also younger. Our 'bottom 6' has been recognised as not being good enough. Hopefully guys like Cellis, Xanadue, Craig Lambert, Elton, Maurice and even Richol, become a higher grade of bottom 6.

Midsy said:

yes. I would be very surprised if the club expected anything else but a heavy scoreboard loss last night. I also saw that with one betting agency Freo went from $1.80 to $1.11 when the squads were announced.

KnightersRevenge said:
Does anyone know if thew is history between Grigg and Fyfe? Why did he try to box his head off?

Fyfe told him "zip is right, your *smile*"

One of our new players who hasn't been mentioned much is Marcon, i thought he was ok last night. He got a bit of the ball, used it pretty well and has a bit of hardness about him.

It always amazes me how supporters take so much from practice matches when every year they prove to be a very poor guide to the season proper. Especially the first one 5 weeks out from the season.
Simply incredible some of the judgements that are being made on this site after last night's game.
Looking for a few glimpses from the youngsters is about all we should do in a game like that one.

Sintiger said:
It always amazes me how supporters take so much from practice matches when every year they prove to be a very poor guide to the season proper. Especially the first one 5 weeks out from the season.
Simply incredible some of the judgements that are being made on this site after last night's game.
Looking for a few glimpses from the youngsters is about all we should do in a game like that one.

Correct, but it just shows what the rest of the AFL know in that our worst 5 in our best squad are just not good enough to step up to the required level.

All we have to have is a season of injuries to some of our best players - like so many other clubs have suffered in the past few years - and we simply do not have enough depth to get close to covering them.

These early matches are always good to see who the whipping boys will be for year.

keepa lids onit said:
Griff is made of paper. Was embarrassing him lying there for a min. Get up ffs. Ur 200cm and been around long enough. Show some guts and grow some balls will ya. Last chance for him this year make or brake/( trade)
Griff was extremely disappointing before he was taken off due to injury. That miss on goal was typical. I know there was a breeze, but it didn't even hit the boot well and never looked like going close to the big sticks. I will cut him some slack for the hit. Sandilands took him out intentionally. Even at his size being hit by someone like Sandilands would put them down. The commentators did say that he should be investigated for the incident.

keepa lids onit said:
Griff is made of paper. Was embarrassing him lying there for a min. Get up ffs. Ur 200cm and been around long enough. Show some guts and grow some balls will ya. Last chance for him this year make or brake/( trade)
Rigid shoulder with 120 kg of Sandi clicking into the jaw. No surprise Griff was in no hurry to get up.

The best way to think about this game is who got the most out of the game, us or them?

We can ask "is it worth playing the kids against a crack top 4 side?" or if we were in their shoes we could ask "is it worth playing our best 21 against a team of kids?"

Their boys barely raised a gallop. Our kids gained a hell of a lot of experience they would never get in the season proper.

Sintiger said:

Yes I wonder why houdini, laff and diggler have not come on to chuck in their 2c.

Sintiger said:
Mind-boggling. Wasn't pretty but some bloody perspective aint too much to ask.

Reading threads on here most new recruits have had their papers stamped, goodbye and thanks for coming.

Gotta love game day threads.