Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Drew Jones said today on SEN WA that the inside story is that Gold Coast reached out to Martin - not the other way round as has been reported.

Gold Coast want to bring Dusty out of retirement but he is set on retirement.

Gold Coast have offered a 2 year deal on significant money. The stories on a low wage are incorrect. Gold Coast are very keen but Dusty not so.

If so, looks like they are trying to tempt Dusty with a significant financial incentive to come out of retirement.

If true could also mean FA compensation to Richmond if he goes to the GC, assuming he is still on the Richmond books.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Drew Jones said today on SEN WA that the inside story is that Gold Coast reached out to Martin - not the other way round as has been reported.

Gold Coast have offered a 2 year deal on significant money. The stories on a low wage are incorrect. Gold Coast are very keen but Dusty not so.

If so, looks like they are trying to tempt Dusty with a significant financial incentive to come out of retirement.

If true could also mean FA compensation to Richmond if he goes to the GC.
If this is correct, and not saying it isn't, it's a bit ballsy by GC to publicly state/lie that Dusty instigated the communication.

You'd think ralphy would call it out if it's a load of crap.

Reactions: 4 users
Maybe I see footy differently to you Carter.

Footy is emotion to the majority of fans. Go to a game and listen to the irrational barracking, the kids running around in number 4, the primal roar when the tigers win. Without emotion to me it loses 90% of its appeal.

The reaction to this potential move for one of greatest is entirely on script for a group of fans of any club. Is it rational? Of course not but following a footy club is never really rational. That’s why it is fun to me in the end.
It raises an interesting question.

Does a player who gives 15 years to the club more entitled to be a Tiger than a supporter? Riewoldt, Cotch, Dusty, etc

Or a coach that gives 10 years, turns the club around and delivers 3 premierships, more entitled to be a tiger than a supporter?

If this is correct, and not saying it isn't, it's a bit ballsy by GC to publicly state/lie that Dusty instigated the communication.

There are obviously some kind of negotiations going on. That story kind of lines up with what Cotchin said about 0-1%

I thought the reports of a $300k wage seemed nonsense too. That's like 30% below the average AFL wage - would probably cost Martin more in brand damage than what he would earn.

Reactions: 1 user

If true could also mean FA compensation to Richmond if he goes to the GC, assuming he is still on the Richmond books.
Oh, Wow!

So i burnt my Dusty memorabilia for no reason?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

The story goes round in circles a bit but wasn't it reported that GC approached Dusty during the season, he said no and now he is interested ?

Does a player who gives 15 years to the club more entitled to be a Tiger than a supporter? Riewoldt, Cotch, Dusty, etc

Or a coach that gives 10 years, turns the club around and delivers 3 premierships, more entitled to be a tiger than a supporter?
I don't know how anyone can make that judgement.

The only thing I would say is that players and coaches also have a career in football, so they would obviously look at it with a different lens to how we would look at it

Reactions: 2 users
The story goes round in circles a bit but wasn't it reported that GC approached Dusty during the season, he said no and now he is interested ?

I don't have time now to find the actual quote from Mark Evans but...

Robinson’s report also stated that Gold Coast CEO Mark Evans confirmed the club and Martin are in contact, stating that the ex-Tiger reached out to the club.

And...
"We can confirm that Dustin has had a conversation with the club and we will both be engaging in further conversations to work out whether it's a good fit for the Gold Coast Suns and for Dustin," Campbell said.

I guess it doesn't say Dusty reached out to the club post retirement, he couldn't reached out to the club 2 years ago based on that comment.

I just ordered two Dusty retirement caps! If he plays for GC so be it. However, I do question his judgement. I would have thought he would seek some guidance from Cotch, Jack and retired players on what it means to be a one club player. I think he is cooked. His body looked cooked this year. If he came out and played rejuvenated in 25 it would be blight on Ooze. Happy with the caps regardless!:LOL:
How the hell would it be a blight on Yze. You reckon he told Dusty to play like a busted @&$” or didn’t go out of his way to accommodate Dusty?
If Dusty goes there and plays great footy (I doubt he can anymore) then it says a bit about him, not Yze

Reactions: 8 users
How the hell would it be a blight on Yze. You reckon he told Dusty to play like a busted @&$” or didn’t go out of his way to accommodate Dusty?
If Dusty goes there and plays great footy (I doubt he can anymore) then it says a bit about him, not Yze
Dusty competitive fella, not his nature. You only had to watch him this year to see his body was broken.

They get paid for it. If you took all of those players and coaches and put them in GCS uniforms and they had a dynasty, they wouldn't care about who the Tigers were. They identify as GCS.
We on the other hand pay to watch them and get less back than the players do.

Dusty said he was retiring and we all went to celebrate his 300th game and his last walk around the MCG thanking us supporters
Never once did he say hed be playing on next year and want to go to GC
I have lost respect for Dimma as he abandoned us as he plots against us coaching GC
I’ll also lose respect for Dusty if he goes and pulls on a GC jumper and plays against us
Loyal when a player wears the yellow and black but when they choose to wear another jumper the loyalty to the player is no longer there

Reactions: 2 users
Dusty said he was retiring and we all went to celebrate his 300th game and his last walk around the MCG thanking us supporters
I have lost respect for Dimma as he abandoned us as he plots against us coaching GC
I’ll also lose respect for Dusty if he goes and pulls on a GC jumper and plays against us
Loyal when a player wears the yellow and black but when they choose to wear another jumper the loyalty to the player is no longer there
Reminds me of John Farnham final tours.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
For want of a better word… disingenuous
I’d say ex coach is a bit like this.