Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Well I mean you did mention how Dusty was our ‘talisman’ and that ‘fans trusted Dusty and he trusted us’ a few pages back

Or you could adopt a more level-headed, less cringey approach

Lol

He was and I did. Unfortunately the whole reason I follow the footy is for the feelings it creates. The memories. Personally, I will be disappointed if the guy that was instrumental in dragging us out of the abyss has been deceptive? I made sure I went to his300th, his "retirement" match. Watched people pile in to buy the memorobelia. Sort of feel we've been duped.

It will not sour the great memories 2017 etc brings back but there will be something slightly uncomfortable there in the background. Time will likely fix it though.

Not sure why you do it, perhaps it's all just an excuse to indulge your ego? Time to start another thread on coaching, drafting, tactics etc etc etc? Give you the opportunity to belittle some other posters?

Reactions: 4 users
I don't know if it was a furphy or not but I was at the North game and he had no power in his running and had trouble bending down for the ball with freedom.
The hawks game for me confirmed his back injury, one passage of play he just couldn’t bend down to gather ball whilst in play.
Previously this wouldn’t be an issue..

Reactions: 1 user
He was and I did.
You did and it was embarrassing.

Me, I watch the footy for the same reason most of us do - to see my team win and win well.

I don’t GAF what players do when they decide to move on.

To lament you’ve been ‘duped’ in some way by Dusty is laughable.

Laughable and embarrassing.

According to Cal Twomey on Gettable today that Dustin Martin will be playing for Gold Coast next year. Seemed pretty certain.

• Sad
That's why Castagna is 1 of my all time best players at Richmond.
Turned us into the powerhouse.
Never stopped running and chasing down blokes.
When he retired, he stayed retired

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I wouldn’t go to war with a platoon made up of Punt Roaders. All the ammo would be used up before any one spotted the enemy.

Speculation, conspiracy, false claims, sauces not sources, that is what we have. The hand-wringing is at intervention level.

If Ralph Carr confirms it my powder will still be dry. Until then, all the media shonks and muppets are on ignore.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Nothing will take away the magic of 3 flags and Dusty's massive role in them. Loved watching him play, and loved watching the fear and sinking feeling, of opposition players and supporters.

As I posted when he retired, the media hounded him out. If he wasn't Dusty, and just a normal superstar, he'd hang around for another year or two and play 10 or 15 games, kick a few goals and teach the kids. But he is Dusty. It became a relentless frenzy, something had to give, and it did.

I honestly don't know if it was planned, I don't think it was, maybe partially, and while I don't like it and would have preferred he stay a one-club player, ultimately I don't really care. Adam Cooney made the observation the other day that Dusty changes his mind 3 or 4 times a day. He was hounded out, and once out, the pressure was off. Does anyone really care or remember Hawkins at Fitzroy, Carey and Adelaide, Hodge at Brisbane, Lockett skinny etc etc I'm sure there's a lot more history has forgotten.

I blame the media, they hounded him out of Richmond, and that was due to his mystical talent and aura. They had to drag him down because he was the best and he snubbed them. And the mystical talent and aura is what got 3 flags and Norm Smiths. You can't separate the 2. Everything has an upside and a downside.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Yes this thread has become utterly ridiculous

Say it ain’t so dusty, sob sob
Maybe I see footy differently to you Carter.

Footy is emotion to the majority of fans. Go to a game and listen to the irrational barracking, the kids running around in number 4, the primal roar when the tigers win. Without emotion to me it loses 90% of its appeal.

The reaction to this potential move for one of greatest is entirely on script for a group of fans of any club. Is it rational? Of course not but following a footy club is never really rational. That’s why it is fun to me in the end.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Interesting the media is turning on him a bit and saying this is bad for GC and dusty legacy… not many declaring it a win for all parties involved

I honestly don't know if it was planned, I don't think it was, maybe partially, and while I don't like it and would have preferred he stay a one-club player, ultimately I don't really care. Adam Cooney made the observation the other day that Dusty changes his mind 3 or 4 times a day. He was hounded out, and once out, the pressure was off. Does anyone really care or remember Hawkins at Fitzroy, Carey and Adelaide, Hodge at Brisbane, Lockett skinny etc etc I'm sure there's a lot more history has forgotten.

I blame the media, they hounded him out of Richmond, and that was due to his mystical talent and aura. They had to drag him down because he was the best and he snubbed them. And the mystical talent and aura is what got 3 flags and Norm Smiths. You can't separate the 2. Everything has an upside and a downside.
They weren't crocodile tears after the game against North. I believe what he said......he loves the club. I think he might be a bit of a lost soul at the moment.
I too "blame the media" and reckon they are trying to shed Dusty in a bad light, I'm not having it, **** em !!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users