Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Gale didn’t say he was retiring , listen to the wording, he is retiring from the Richmond Football Club…..not football they cashed in on us gullible supporters

The AFL requires a Form 40 and also a signed deed of release. Would have until the end of October to submit to the AFL.

Unless both parties of Richmond and Martin have signed off they cannot be submitted and he wouldn't officially be retired even if Richmond expected he was retiring.

Reactions: 1 users
Cant let the meal ticket dry up.

Always a good idea to stable elite sports stars that will go on in the media as the meal ticket is extended.
Morris was saying that Dusty would probably be on $250,000 to $300,000 a year at the Suns, not much of a meal ticket for the merkin there.

Reactions: 1 user
Morris was saying that Dusty would probably be on $250,000 to $300,000 a year at the Suns, not much of a meal ticket for the merkin there.
Not sure the Suns would have much room in their cap to be paying out much more for Dusty. They had to sell a very early draft pick to get that over paid bog average bloke off their list to the Moggies for some cap space not so long ago. Putting the sausage into their cap is gunna tighten things up again n paying for their gold plated big Mac is surely gunna max their cap to fire sale status again in 12 months time. Just can't see them having much wriggle room, unless maybe they bribe us to carry some of Sausages shekels. 6 - 12 - 20 would look mighty fine in our draft hand this year.

So Ralph said the Suns asked Martin a few months ago and he said no. They spent their cash on Mac Andrew etc, and now Martin has called them and said "hey I'm interested".
The club said, we've only got loose change, so if you want in, you'll have to accept $300k.

One thing's for sure we have no idea what conversations were been had by Blair & Yze with Dusty throughout the season.
What we do know is it was apparent during the year that he was a shadow of his best. All the rhetoric coming from Ooze was we were doing absolutely everything to get him healthy, enjoying his footy & playing well.
Whether it was injury or mental fatigue or both, the bottom line is we only saw fits & starts of the champs best. He didn't play in a win all year.

It may well have been the case that given the state of our list & our plight that the footy dept. said to him there wasn't much point in him going on with us next year or it might have been a lowball one year deal. Who honestly knows but as Gale said towards the end of the season the club's preference was that he'd finish up a one club player. All I know is that there's so much said in club land that we nor the media are privvy to.

Then I hark back to when Houli was tapped on the shoulder by Blair.
He wanted another season but we said no when it was obvious injury & form was starting to desert him. Bachar flirted with the idea of heading elsewhere & then wisely decided that wasn't a great move. We have great memories of Bachar as a Tiger. Am hoping Dusty makes a similar decision.
Not just because I don't want to see him in other colours. I think it's been an obvious decline in performance & would hate to see him struggle for a year or so just as much.

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
One thing's for sure we have no idea what conversations were been had by Blair & Yze with Dusty throughout the season.
What we do know is it was apparent during the year that he was a shadow of his best. All the rhetoric coming from Ooze was we were doing absolutely everything to get him healthy, enjoying his footy & playing well.
Whether it was injury or mental fatigue or both, the bottom line is we only saw fits & starts of the champs best. He didn't play in a win all year.

It may well have been the case that given the state of our list & our plight that the footy dept. said to him there wasn't much point in him going on with us next year or it might have been a lowball one year deal. Who honestly knows but as Gale said towards the end of the season the club's preference was that he'd finish up a one club player. All I know is that there's so much said in club land that we nor the media are privvy to.

He wanted another season but we said no when it was obvious injury & form was starting to desert him. Bachar flirted with the idea of heading elsewhere & then wisely decided that wasn't a great move. We have great memories of Bachar as a Tiger. Am hoping Dusty makes a similar decision.
Not just because I don't want to see him in other colours. I think it's been an obvious decline in performance & would hate to see him struggle for a year or so just as much.
good post

I remember seeing Bachar playing in his last year and he couldn't kick more than 40-45 metres and saying that I hope he gave it away. I had a similar feeling watching Dusty in what turned out to be his last game against Norf, he was a shadow of the player he was and difficult to watch

Reactions: 3 users

Totally agree Oldie. Looking at these current 2-3 year contracts we're handing out now, I reckon we must've told him only 1 year can be offered and I'm sure our plan was to tank and invest in kids. Also, if Schwarz came out with this Dusty to GC news, surely his old team mate in Ooze would've known all about it.

I spoke with a fanatical Tigers supporter towards the end of the season ( before Martin retired) who said Martin did not want to travel interstate anymore to play. ( Which rings true in retrospect)
Why then would he want to go to one of the most oft teams on the road?

doesn't make sense to me. Cameos every now and then at home?

Reactions: 1 user
Totally agree Oldie. Looking at these current 2-3 year contracts we're handing out now, I reckon we must've told him only 1 year can be offered and I'm sure our plan was to tank and invest in kids. Also, if Schwarz came out with this Dusty to GC news, surely his old team mate in Ooze would've known all about it.
Probably supplied the info, remember when ouzo said he would prefer if players were able to announce moves during the season like NRL? , club knew and milked the retirement memorabilia

Probably supplied the info, remember when ouzo said he would prefer if players were able to announce moves during the season like NRL? , club knew and milked the retirement memorabilia
Yeah that gave it away a bit, and it wasn't just Duz. I reckon he laid the plan for the future, some seniors like Bakes, Shai didn't accept it and now want to go home. If so, I like it.