Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Just exactly the same as Hardwick.

Had enough, can’t turn the sausages etc , next minute !!

Dusty , crook back , couldn’t train , play , trip
To NZ , next minute !!

Reactions: 7 users
All I can say is that it's amazing that you can go from being finished, unmotivated and happy to walk away to re-energized and motivated in 3 weeks.
Something isn't right with this.

Reactions: 8 users
All I can say is that it's amazing that you can go from being finished, unmotivated and happy to walk away to re-energized and motivated in 3 weeks.
Something isn't right with this.
I’ve heard this somewhere before. Can’t put my finger on it…………

Reactions: 4 users
FWIW I heard Luke Ball talking about it yesterday.

He said a lot of players who feel physically gone and retire feel much better physically after a couple of months and start questioning whether they made the right decision. He suspects that's at least part of what happened here.
He also said that he is not sure it will happen because the Suns are already required to cut their list size and shed players and to bring in Dusty on top of Rioli and Noble means a lot of players will leave. It is his opinion that Dusty may well be at the Gold Coast next year in a polo shirt, not in a jumper.

That's his opinion but he is usually quite logical and measured.

Reactions: 5 users

He said a lot of players who feel physically gone and retire feel much better physically after a couple of months and start questioning whether they made the right decision. He suspects that's at least part of what happened here.
He also said that he is not sure it will happen because the Suns are already required to cut their list size and shed players and to bring in Dusty on top of Rioli and Noble means a lot of players will leave. It is his opinion that Dusty may well be at the Gold Coast next year in a polo shirt, not in a jumper.

I hope Ball is right. I don't have any issue with him working in an off field capacity up there. In fact, if he has coaching aspirations it will do him good to experience a different environment. I know Yze said Dusty would be a good coach, but I can't see that myself. One, he doesn't like to talk (he's about as communicative as Bruce Doull and Michael Tuck) and two I think he may be one of those players who are brilliant on the field, but can't explain to other players, or even understand, why other players can't do what they do naturally. It's often why great players don't make great coaches. Blight, Barassi and Matthews are exceptions to that.

He told his team mates he was retiring. He obviously told the club that. Do you really think a very sharp operator like Brendan Gale says that Dusty is retiring if Dusty didn’t tell him that?
Gale didn’t say he was retiring , listen to the wording, he is retiring from the Richmond Football Club…..not football they cashed in on us gullible supporters

Watch at 2.40 in this clip. The club was asked about Gold Coast but Benny was adamant he was retiring from AFL football.

Retired from the Richmond Football Club…..not football, smart arse lawyer speak

Gale said he was retiring from the Richmond Football Club[, not football , the club knew it and cynically cashed in on the “retirement” memorabilia
Why is it that this is becoming a real twist in the story and why Ooze taking those 2017-2020 flag photos off the wall is becoming clearer by the day....

Reactions: 1 users

The problem with this it's exactly what Fev said would happen.

Say goodbye to the tiger army, refresh & end up at the Suns.

We’ve all seen this story played out in some instances.
Retired player returns thinking he can go again, club thinks we’ve done well here to recruit this player.
2 years on players return doesn’t really amount to much.
Injured, different environment, motivation lacking.
I wonder how the supposedly Merkin doco on Martin ties into Dustin’s arrival on the Gold Coast.
You know that doco that has been in pre production for like 5 years.
confused jeff bridges GIF

Take your one eyed glasses off for 1 minute.
Dusty hasn't played well all season and struggled to bend over.
Back issues are impossible to ever get right.
He has done what he had to do with us,
We all wish him well.
But GC have Buckley chance of seeing the real Dusty Martin.

The AFL has the clayton rules.
Rules that can bend and be interpreted anyway it suits them.
They brought in the Mal Michael rule for this exact reason.

Reactions: 3 users
Retired from the Richmond Football Club…..not football, smart arse lawyer speak
He said he was retiring from AFL football.
If Brendon Gale quietly knew the plan was always that Dusty was going to GC & the club put out a 'retirement' merchandise range for the RFC faithful to snap up on ma$$e that would be dishonest at best. I'd be filthy with the club if that was the case. The belief was from the Tiger Army was he was retiring a one club player.

Anyways this speculation is unhealthy.

Reactions: 8 users
He said he was retiring from AFL football.
If Brendon Gale quietly knew the plan was always that Dusty was going to GC & the club put out a 'retirement' merchandise range for the RFC faithful to snap up on ma$$e that would be dishonest at best. I'd be filthy with the club if that was the case. The belief was from the Tiger Army was he was retiring a one club player.

Anyways this speculation is unhealthy.

I don't think Brendon Gale would act like that.
He has appeared to only ever act with honesty and integrity and even in these extraordinary circumstances I don't think that would change.

Reactions: 13 users
He has appeared to only ever act with honesty and integrity and even in these extraordinary circumstances I don't think that would change.
Yep that’s why I’ll stick with more ‘half-truth’ clickbait and Dusty will be in a non playing role at Gold Coast.

Just look at the shitstorm it’s caused here.

Yep that’s why I’ll stick with more ‘half-truth’ clickbait and Dusty will be in a non playing role at Gold Coast.

Just look at the shitstorm it’s caused here.

Reactions: 1 user
Morris saying it's more from the Dusty camp (Carr) than the Huns on enquiring to join them. This is all speculation and won't grow. Let it fade out into oblivion.

Last edited: