Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Dusty & Bartlett the best I ever saw. KB was a sensational player - his 1980 finals series was amazing

Yep, saw both, although Bartlett only from the mid 70s, and I can't separate them. Both magnificent and both turned it on when it mattered. Maybe Dusty was better at changing the momentum of a game on his own but Bartlett's consistency and ability to make opportunities from very little was amazing.

A pleasure to have watched them both, The only other at that level I can think of was Hart.

DS

Reactions: 7 users
Yep, saw both, although Bartlett only from the mid 70s, and I can't separate them. Both magnificent and both turned it on when it mattered. Maybe Dusty was better at changing the momentum of a game on his own but Bartlett's consistency and ability to make opportunities from very little was amazing.

A pleasure to have watched them both, The only other at that level I can think of was Hart.

DS
I only came to Melbourne at the end of 1979 and missed Hart. My only recollection was from TV. However the fathers of my Richmond mates all claim Hart was the greatest. I can understand why.

Reactions: 1 user
Was Wayne Campbell ever at Richmond during Dustin's career? He and Dusty had a big embrace and exchanged words when Dusty was teary after waking off the ground.
you just answered the question i had watching Dustin go into the rooms
I could not work out why there was a suns official in our race and why Dustin was hugging him

They must name any new media room at Punt Road after him, give the media a permanent reminder of what we think of them.

I only came to Melbourne at the end of 1979 and missed Hart. My only recollection was from TV. However the fathers of my Richmond mates all claim Hart was the greatest. I can understand why.

Hart was amazing, the thing that gets me watching old games was how good he was when the ball hit the ground, something very unusual, and ahead of his time, for a key forward back in those days.

DS

Reactions: 3 users
Was Wayne Campbell ever at Richmond during Dustin's career? He and Dusty had a big embrace and exchanged words when Dusty was teary after waking off the ground.

He was at Richmond for the first 4 years of Dusty’s career as a coach/leadership development manager.

“Club assistant coach/leadership development manager/opposition analyst: 2009-2013”

Reactions: 5 users
The greatest.

Felt like the full stop on the end of an era. A magnificent, fun, happy, uplifting life affirming era. Thanks for everything dusty, only in my wildest dreams and fantasies did I ever think we'd be blessed with a player like you.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
One thing I'm going to miss at the footy is that gutteral, animal and unbridled cry of DUSTY as he gathers, moves and kicks the goal.
That feeling of being alive and raw.
So long King Duz

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
That Keane song that played as the boys completed their lap was just perfect. Kudos to whoever chose it.

I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete

Oh, simple thing, where have you gone?
I'm getting old, and I need something to rely on

So, tell me when you're gonna let me in
I'm getting tired, and I need somewhere to begin
I came across a fallen tree
I felt the branches of it looking at me
Is this the place we used to love?
Is this the place that I've been dreaming of?

And if you have a minute, why don't we go
Talk about it somewhere only we know?

This could be the end of everything
So, why don't we go somewhere only we know?
Somewhere only we know

And if you have a minute, why don't we go
Talk about it somewhere only we know?

So, why don't we go?
So, why don't we go?

So, why don't we go somewhere only we know?
Somewhere only we know
Somewhere only we know
It was an apt choice, #8. Not a song I'd usually play but I've got it on high rotation tonight.

My grandson wakes up crying some mornings. He was crying at the end of the game. Granddaughter took it better.

A simple thing, is gone.

At the ground 43,000 people went somewhere only we know.

After the speeches, the second siren, grandfather; father, son and daughter walked onto the ground. Kicked a footy. Took selfies. Near falconed a few times and sent texts.

Next year we'll buy grandson a jumper with the new kid's number. Granddaughter can enjoy Katie Brennan and her jumper.

Here's the song -

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
It was an apt choice, #8. Not a song I'd usually play but I've got it on high rotation tonight.

My grandson wakes up crying some mornings. He was crying at the end of the game. Granddaughter took it better.

A simple thing, is gone.

At the ground 43,000 people went somewhere only we know.

After the speeches, the second siren, grandfather; father, son and daughter walked onto the ground. Kicked a footy. Took selfies. Near falconed a few times and sent texts.

Next year we'll buy grandson a jumper with the new kid's number. Granddaughter can enjoy Katie Brennan and her jumper.

Here's the song -

Eat Em Alive, big fella

Reactions: 1 users
Club needs to start moving foward.
The best reward for Dusty would be the best kid ever year wins the Dustin Martin Medal.
Or something to that tune.
Can't be the best player in the finals medal.
It won't be used for another 23 yrs.

Reactions: 1 users
Dusty walking off like he did just confirms that he was NEVER going to play for the suns.
Thank you for everything Dusty

Reactions: 10 users
It’s real. Superman has left the building.

That shot of him crying in the race.

The first step he took without the spotlight.

Wasn’t prepared for that.

The grass of the MCG will never be as green.

Reactions: 17 users

DS
You’ve nailed it I reckon
The holy trinity would be Dusty, Royce and KB

Reactions: 2 users