Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Since hearing about Dusty‘s retirement this morning, I’ve been thinking all day about how I feel and what to write and still cannot come up with anything other than, thank you.

I was thinking of something clever to say like if you look up the word ‘legend’ his pictures there but all I could come up with was ‘thank you Dusty’. That covers it. That’s it.

Yellow and Black!

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
When it's all over I'm hoping we're given the chance to relive some favourite moments, I'll be telling them to send me to Round 1 2017 and go take a holiday as I'll be gone a while. What a ride that was led by the greatest player I've ever seen. I still vividly remember the feeling when he signed on during our run in 2017, the Tiger was out of the cage and looking for blood. We were all so lucky to have lived thru what happened next.
Rapt he remained a 1 club player and went out on his own terms (Like there was any doubt!). Enjoy retirement King, thanks for the many memories.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Media are such peanuts.
Shock news that he has retired.
Balme and Gale both said he will either retire or sign for one more year.
But the media still they push the GC move and now surprised he has retired.

Reactions: 4 users
Media are such peanuts.
Beat me to it. Can't believe how deluded this lot are.

Reactions: 1 user
As a result of his reticence to speak to the media he will be even more of a legend. All that they can write about him is his football exploits. That is a legacy only he will have.

DS

Reactions: 8 users
I’ve done a bit of reflecting today as I’m sure a lot of us have. How lucky we have all been to witness Dusty’s career and all the joy he has brought to us.

One memory popped up which to me shows just how good the great man was.

In 2020 us northerners had the priveledge of watching the Tigers nearly every week, which as we know culminated in our third premiership which I was lucky enough to be at.

The next day I was at a junior rugby union break up. All anyone wanted to talk about was Dusty Martin and his grand final heroics. The majority of them knew next to nothing about AFL, but all were able to recognise greatness when they had seen it.

Simply the best was Dustin Martin.

Reactions: 12 users
He might get an idea when he finds his meals or drinks being paid for by strangers all over the world.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
For nostalgic reasons, Richo will always be my favourite tiger player.

But Dusty is the best I'll ever see in yellow and black in my lifetime.

Enjoy your retirement legend, you've earned it.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Media are such peanuts.
And I bet until it really sinks through their thick skulls that he has played his last game that they’ll peddle conspiracy theories about it only being a retirement so he can move up to the GC without having to go through the trade process.

Reactions: 1 user
Would love to see his retirement speech like the club usually releases for retiring tiger immortals, but sounds like it got a bit emotional and he probably doesn't want that made public.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know which of Dusty's exploits has given me the most joy, his don't argues, his impossible goals, his grand final performances, and so on.

Dusty leaving his car in the underground carpark at the MCG for 2 months is right up there, what a legend !!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Dusty Martin, Superstar, simply as good as it gets. Thanks for the memories n farewell.

Reactions: 3 users
Listening to Jack Riewoldt on 360 about Dusty tugged at the heart strings.
The sheer admiration and respect from his peers. Terms like brother, family. Mystique.

Although our dynasty was over before this, the last vestiges of the era were taken down today.

Dusty will travel Riewoldt says. Probably outside Australia. But he'll be away from football for a bit trying to live a normal life. Us Tigers all feel a lot more normal today, sadly so.

"DUSTY!!!!" I won't get to scream it again. I hope the Tigers put out a DVD of the Dusty story, full of his highlights. Hard to let go. Need to reminisce.

Reactions: 8 users