Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

thank you so much .a true tiger richmond man..... gave it his all .......loved the club and the players ............he can enjoy his life now .free from the afl circus and it is a circus ..............they hunted him out

Reactions: 6 users
Thankyou Dusty, you have brought such immense joy to myself and my family, particularly when we had a horrendous year to manage in 2017, what you provided for the club and our supporters in that way and across your career, cements you as one of the greatest Tigers of all time and we will forever remember you,

My daughter still remembers a time back in 2017, the Tiges had played Port on the Sat night at the start of July, we were flying up to see family on the GC on the Sunday morning, when I'm looking through the airport and see Dylan Grimes walking through the airport, then the rest of the team appears. She gets up and chases after Dusty (she was 7 and he was the only Tiger she ever spoke about, anything about the Tiges was Dusty, Dusty, Dusty at that time), I get up to chase after her thinking she was going to grab him, then she realised how tall he was and stopped dead in her tracks, she had no idea he was that tall. Was funny, we never stopped him that day, which in some ways I regret but its also a lovely story to be able to tell about her 1st football love.
Gold. How good are kids.

My son was the biggest fan boy when he was a kid. Completely starstruck whenever he met any Richmond players.

Reactions: 2 users
Generational icon of the game.
Privileged to see him at his peak.

Reactions: 5 users
Best player I've ever had the pleasure of watching. In an era of greats, he was the greatest - and he was a Tiger to the end.

Thanks Dusty, for the joy, pride, and happiness you've brought to me and my family.

Noooooooo. I refuse to believe it. Noooooooo. OMG, I knew this day would come but Dusty not being there just leaves a hole in my heart. My God I loved watching you play.
I will miss you Dusty, thanks for making our Richmond hearts pump yellow and black again.

Reactions: 8 users
Started off reminding me of Pants Millane and ended as Dusty Martin, original and best.

Brutal, just a brutal player. Size, strength, class.

Most importantly, those *smile* shark eyes.

Could not be breached physically or mentally.

Just a wonderful, wonderful player.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
His outlandish football talent aside, he was always true to himself and never changed who he was to fall in line as a sycophantic, AFL white-collar-stiff.

What a man.

• Love
Reactions: 27 users
What separates the legends from the champions is that they step up when it matters most.
That’s why you are a legend Dusty
Thankyou

Reactions: 12 users
Dustin Martin. A kid that only ever wanted to play football. A man that became the greatest.

You are loved and adored and will be the subject of conversation for generations as old men and old women recant their legendary tales of football from days past.

I was there. So were we all. Dustin and Royce. What a privilege to have seen them both. Hail the number 4.

Forever YELLOW AND BLACK.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Thank you Dustin Martin. He made us relevant again as a club. Connected the old supporters and generated a generation of new supporters. Most of all, gave us premierships I’d never thought I’d live to see.

Fantastic player - he & Bartlett were the best I ever saw. Right decision. Time waits for no one and his body is done from an AFL perspective.

He set a standard & new culture of success that is up to us as a club to build from. Mediocrity is no longer tolerated.
This is how I feel too. Couldn't say it better.

Just thanks so much for the fun and memories. It'll be way past my lifetime before there will be another like him in a Tiger jumper.

Reactions: 4 users
Feeling so sad but it was the right decision in the end
There will never be another one like him in my opinion
He was his own man, loyal and true to himself and his inner circle
Did not let the media hypocrites in which drove them insane
I’ll never forget those insane moments in the finals when he propelled the tigers forward to winning
Although it takes a whole team effort to get there he was usually the catalyst when things were tough
He will never be forgotten

Thank you Dustin Martin. As an old bloke I thought I would never see my mighty Tigers win another flag after 1980. With you leading the team through sheer brilliance, guts and determination on 3 Grand Final days i can now go to my grave with a smile on my face. Mere words do not express the gratitude I have that you wore the Yellow and Black with such greatness. You are really the best footballer I have seen in my 60+ years of playing and watching the game.

Dustin, may your retirement be as enjoyable as mine........

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
Expected but devastating nonetheless.
Farewell Dusty. Thank you for all the great memories. One of the greatest I’ve seen. A highlights package that very few can rival.
Good luck with whatever the future brings. Thanks again for being an integral part in our flags and dynasty

A special shoutout and thanks to Melbourne for tanking all those years ago and stuffing up your first 2 picks in the draft to allow us to nab one of the greatest players of all time

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Played a game early in his career against North. Kicked 4, had 30+ disposals. Before that game I knew he would be good but after I realized we had something very special.

Martin did a lot of great things in his career but I’ll always love the fend-off of Stewart and subsequent kick to Riewoldt in the 2017 QF. Reckon that moment right there started our dynasty.

Thank you Dusty

Reactions: 13 users
There's no words to describe the great man. Champion in every sense of the word. Stood up in the biggest of the big games. I think that's what set him apart as the greatest of all time. Certainly the undisputed greatest finals player of all time. Anyone who tells you different is kidding themselves.

Congratulations on an amazing career, and for doing the whole thing YOUR way. Never let anyone or anything change you.

All the best for your future Dusty, whatever that may be.

Thanks for the memories, the flags and the honour of watching you play the game.

Reactions: 7 users