Draft day | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft day

SCOOP said:
Still can't believe that Essendon didn't challenge any of the academy boys at their pick.

Definitely would've taken Hopper ahead of Francis. Can't understand why they didn't bid.

I really liked what we did at our pick. I would've been stoked with Matthew Kennedy. Cannot believe no one bid on him earlier. We squeezed some picks out of the Lions and GWS to improve our second pick. Smart strategy. It really was. And the bid on Rice was spot on, I would've been stoked with him at our second pick.

We had limited picks but Francis made a impact.

1 word Scoop. Collusion.

There were murmurings during draft time that a few clubs gave GWS assurances that they would not bid on their academy kids in favour of trades.

SCOOP said:
Still can't believe that Essendon didn't challenge any of the academy boys at their pick.

Definitely would've taken Hopper ahead of Francis. Can't understand why they didn't bid.

I really liked what we did at our pick. I would've been stoked with Matthew Kennedy. Cannot believe no one bid on him earlier. We squeezed some picks out of the Lions and GWS to improve our second pick. Smart strategy. It really was. And the bid on Rice was spot on, I would've been stoked with him at our second pick.

We had limited picks but Francis made a impact.

Geez, the formula used to accumulate points needs to change pronto though. Later draft picks have far too much weight added.

Leysy Days said:
Geez, the formula used to accumulate points needs to change pronto though. Later draft picks have far too much weight added.

Not until we get our eligible father sons in the next couple of years.

T-Shirt Tommy said:
Not until we get our eligible father sons in the next couple of years.
We have done really well out of that arrangement. From memory Tommy Roach was our last effort and that wasn't a bonus

mrposhman said:
At 22 you'd be expecting him to play next year. Maybe competition for Batchelor?

Or, perhaps the "star jumper" who may find it hard to get a game next year, or is he Dimmas love child.

SCOOP said:

I don't know why you would challenge. You're not going to get them anyway. Can only be a negative next time you try and trade with that club.

Dissapointed the scum got Weitering and McKay, both sound like great kids who can play.

They still don't have a midfield though.

tigerlove said:
I don't know why you would challenge. You're not going to get them anyway. Can only be a negative next time you try and trade with that club.

You challenge to give them less picks and improve the position of your later picks. If your scared of what can happen at the trade table your a timid and soft club.

Why on earth would you do anything to help these AFL clubs?

SCOOP said:
You challenge to give them less picks and improve the position of your later picks. If your scared of what can happen at the trade table your a timid and soft club.

They don't want to use their later picks anyway. They've traded them for the sole purpose of getting their player on the cheap. It's not about being scared and timid at the trade table. History is littered with 'you scratch my back ill scratch yours deals'. And there are clubs today that other clubs don't want to deal with or give leeway to because of their trading history. The whole process was a farce. In most cases they were giving away nothing.

SCOOP said:

Spot on well said. Nothing but this. We shouldn't be doing any clubs any favours in fear of what may happen next year come trade time. I am glad we did that and made them pay up something.

tigerlove said:
They don't want to use their later picks anyway. They've traded them for the sole purpose of getting their player on the cheap. It's not about being scared and timid at the trade table. History is littered with 'you scratch my back ill scratch yours deals'. And there are clubs today that other clubs don't want to deal with or give leeway to because of their trading history. The whole process was a farce. In most cases they were giving away nothing.

Dunkley not matched.

tigerlove said:

That's right. What is the point of dropping down 1 rung and letting them use your pick to get some player they (virtually) already own?

If a team bids, and the other matches, then leave it there and let the bidding team pick someone else without changing the pick number.

tigerlove said:
But Essendon is already a club that, maybe with the exception of the saints, most clubs don't like dealing with.

TigerForce said:
That's right. What is the point of dropping down 1 rung and letting them use your pick to get some player they (virtually) already own?

If a team bids, and the other matches, then leave it there and let the bidding team pick someone else.

You bid for what the academy player is worth. You'd be silly not to. Imagine if the academy team was after someone else with their points and simply bluffing in hope the player slides. This is crazy talk.

sausage_meat69 said:
You bid for what the academy player is worth. You'd be silly not to. Imagine if the academy team was after someone else with their points and simply bluffing in hope the player slides. This is crazy talk.

Well most clubs were silly then because very few bid, Tigers bid 3 times. We knew we weren't going to get them. Or did we waste a lot of time evaluating players we knew we weren't going to get? I doubt it. It's a stupid system.

tigerlove said:
Well most clubs were silly then because very few bid, Tigers bid 3 times. We knew we weren't going to get them. It's a stupid system.

The stupidity isn't the bidding, its what the sides give up to match the bid. Bidding is smart, you make the other sides give up something, the higher the bid the more they give up. We improved our posi for the next pick.

As I said earlier, its like in a game of 500 when you know you won't take it up or don't want to, but if you don't bid the opponent gets an easy ride. So you bid 6 or 7 to get them working harder.

sausage_meat69 said:

Well, why don't these clubs confirm which academy player they are going to pick before the draft instead of making other teams lose a spot?

I can't see any way a team will not match a bid. If they want the players, then confirm it to the AFL and other clubs.

tigersnake said:
As I said earlier, its like in a game of 500 when you know you won't take it up or don't want to, but if you don't bid the opponent gets an easy ride. So you bid 6 or 7 to get them working harder.

Nothing like a game of 500. 500 requires some skill.

Dunno who the guy was on SEN this afternoon but he was pretty damning on our drafting - said Rioli not top 30 and Markov a rookie at best.