Draft day | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft day

jb03 said:
Dunno who the guy was on SEN this afternoon but he was pretty damning on our drafting - said Rioli not top 30 and Markov a rookie at best.

SEN the font of all knowledge.

I am happy with our drafting

jb03 said:
Dunno who the guy was on SEN this afternoon but he was pretty damning on our drafting - said Rioli not top 30 and Markov a rookie at best.
YEt Emma Quayle on same station this morning said Markov was a good get.

Was the guy called "Marko"?

jb03 said:

Personally reckon with the plethora of talls taken that there were a few good midfielders slip through. There's no doubt we selected for need.

jb03 said:

Brett Thomas from Inside Football. He is fairly knowledgable on the kids. But he did also say last night that how he or others ranks a kid is irrelvent and if a club rates a kid at pick 15 then go and get him.

Drafting is an opinion based industry.

jb03 said:

Rioli on current form isn't a first round pick, but in saying that what was the chances of him being their for our our next pick 50?
I say ziltch.
Took him while we could.

Hawthorn copped a bit of flack for picking up Cyril Rioli with their first pick.
I say now he was a very good choice by Hawthorn.

se7en said:
Rioli on current form isn't a first round pick, but in saying that what was the chances of him being their for our our next pick 50?
I say ziltch.
Took him while we could.

Hawthorn copped a bit of flack for picking up Cyril Rioli with their first pick.
I say now he was a very good choice by Hawthorn.

Don't think they copped flack, it was well known that Rioli tanked the combine in order to stay in Melbourne, could barely finish the 3km run which raised a few eyebrows. Brad Hill was the pick that shocked many, he came from nowhere after blitzing the combine, I actually see many similarities with the Rioli situation. Happy to give Frank the benefit of the doubt given he generally chooses footballers over athletes, this is a refreshing change to be honest. Now it's up to the coaching staff to turn this kid into a weapon at AFL level, will be interesting to watch.

TigerForce said:
Well, why don't these clubs confirm which academy player they are going to pick before the draft instead of making other teams lose a spot?

I can't see any way a team will not match a bid. If they want the players, then confirm it to the AFL and other clubs.
Teams don't actually lose a spot. They bid on a player to force the team with a claim to the player to actually pay near true value for the players ability. Not so long ago Clubs just listed their eligible father son selections and received those players with their last live picks in the draft. This had been adjusted down to using the next available pick after any other clubs bid to ensure some sort of fair price while still allowing the father son club some discount.
Now that there are academy kids as well, the AFL has put a points value on all the picks so that clubs still pay a reasonably fair value for the father son or academy kids, less a twenty percent discount.
The academy kids would NOT have been available at the bidding clubs pick anyway under the previous systems, so no one really loses a spot, but they do gain a little bit if bidding clubs are forced to parcel together three or four mid range picks to pay for one young star they would previously have got virtually for free.

Imagine if the Cats had to pay full price to get hold of the Scarlett Ablett x2 Hawkins father son selections, they'd still be trying to pay off the credit card of points today.

bullus_hit said:
Don't think they copped flack, it was well known that Rioli tanked the combine in order to stay in Melbourne, could barely finish the 3km run which raised a few eyebrows. Brad Hill was the pick that shocked many, he came from nowhere after blitzing the combine, I actually see many similarities with the Rioli situation. Happy to give Frank the benefit of the doubt given he generally chooses footballers over athletes, this is a refreshing change to be honest. Now it's up to the coaching staff to turn this kid into a weapon at AFL level, will be interesting to watch.
It's uncanny how Daniel's career and skill set mirrors Cyril's with the exception that Daniel was elite at the combine and lighter but taller than Cyril I think when Cyril was drafted. See this except from Wiki on Cyril:

"Rioli was also a standout performer in the 2007 AFL national under 18 championships, becoming the only Northern Territorian to earn All-Australian honours, following a seven-goal performance in a match against Queensland.[8] He was tipped to go high in the national draft, from anywhere between five and twenty-five. In this final year of junior football, he was one of five players, including Trent Cotchin, to be chronicled in the book The Draft: Inside the AFL's Search for Talent, by The Age journalist Emma Quayle.

Despite Rioli's speed, evasiveness and flashy tricks, the scouts at the AFL's draft camp were still to be convinced of his dedication, with his skin folds being described as "less than brilliant" and his commitment to AFL still being questionable. Prior to the draft, Rioli said "I have had a few clubs call me, and it's just confusing. I love playing footy, and I think I am pretty good at it, but it doesn't really matter where (I go in the draft)." He reportedly spoke to both the Kangaroos and the Adelaide Crows, before eventually being drafted by the Hawthorn Football Club in the 2007 AFL Draft. The Hawks used their first-round draft pick and the number 12 pick overall to claim Rioli."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyril_Rioli