Draft day | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft day

bullus_hit said:
A pretty good draft for needs, can't complain about the strategy. We got a small forward with great athleticism, ditto a tall wingman, and Broad is an excellent back-up for Chaplin. Rioli is a bit of a reach but the draft was pretty even after 12 so it's hard to be critical. Fingers crossed these lads kick on.

Yeah, that's the strangest draft I've ever seen. All picks target needs. Think I'll just put this done as one of those years.

Quick thoughts, Lions & North killed it. Mathieson at 39 is the steal of the draft. There is your Jack Redden replacement.

I just don't really get the academy bid thing. We bid Hipwood and Brisbane had to give a way pretty much nothing of value. Why would they even consider anything else? I still don't understand why that get this advantage to pick cream of the crop in their state. It's not like Sydney and Brisbane have had lack of past success.

tigerlove said:
I just don't really get the academy bid thing. We bid Hipwood and Brisbane had to give a way pretty much nothing of value. Why would they even consider anything else? I still don't understand why that get this advantage to pick cream of the crop in their state. It's not like Sydney and Brisbane have had luck of past success.

Yep, it's just rubbish IMO, even Longmire used spin to say it was sh!t. Get rid of it.

SCOOP said:
Yeah, that's the strangest draft I've ever seen. All picks target needs. Think I'll just put this done as one of those years.

Quick thoughts, Lions & North killed it. Mathieson at 39 is the steal of the draft. There is your Jack Redden replacement.

Agree on the Lions and North. Reckon the Dogs went really well also. It'll be interesting watching over the next few years to see who wins that late trade in the trade period to swap Pick 11 for 20 & 21. Curnow vs Dunkley & Collins.

1st draftee comes com a champion football family, second a son of a champion athlete, third a ready made defender. I can't hate on this draft. Best of luck to all three.

mrposhman said:
Agree on the Lions and North. Reckon the Dogs went really well also. It'll be interesting watching over the next few years to see who wins that late trade in the trade period to swap Pick 11 for 20 & 21. Curnow vs Dunkley & Collins.

Yeah, I'd say Dunkley/Collins will win out. Collins went for unders i reckon.

bullus_hit said:
A pretty good draft for needs, can't complain about the strategy. We got a small forward with great athleticism, ditto a tall wingman, and Broad is an excellent back-up for Chaplin. Rioli is a bit of a reach but the draft was pretty even after 12 so it's hard to be critical. Fingers crossed these lads kick on.

I thought Broad was a wing, hbf type. Not sure of the Chaplin backup Bully. More a Batchelor backup I think

SCOOP said:

Doggies did really well too, Port couldn't believe their luck at landing Bonner, could be an excellent pick-up. In the end we'll just have to wait and see, it really was so even after Curnow and that was proven with some real surprise packets. Doedee was one I had earmarked for the second round, was very surprised to see him go ahead of Burton, Collins, Bonner etc. The thing with this kid is his rise has been phenomenal, he was in the Falcons B team at the start of the year and made the cut for Vic Country. He's another one of these basketball converts, they just adapt to football so well, very agile and smart decision makers.

puregreen said:
Wylie Buzza for Geelong! What a name!

Steven Wells picks another that no-one knows about from country SA - Matthew Hayball.
yep, I'm on the Wylie Buzza bandwagon.

willo said:
I thought Broad was a wing, hbf type. Not sure of the Chaplin backup Bully. More a Batchelor backup I think

Yeah agree, looks quite skinny. Won't be hustling with the bigger players of the game.

bullus_hit said:
He's another one of these basketball converts, they just adapt to football so well, very agile and smart decision makers.

Still think they are higher risk these basktball converts. Getting to AFL level with limited footy background shows out more often than not.

Age journo Daniel Cherny tweeting that Tyrone Leonardis, who the Swans selected in the draft, has liked the pages "Adam Goodes for Flog of the Year" and "Adam Goode's (sic.) for wanker of the year."

Seriously, some of these kids just ain't that bright. The video about strangest recruiter questions helps confirms this. Mathieson and Kennedy both come across as brain-less buffoons.

scottyturnerscurse said:
Age journo Daniel Cherny tweeting that Tyrone Leonardis, who they selected in the draft, has liked the pages "Adam Goodes for Flog of the Year" and "Adam Goode's (sic.) for wanker of the year."

Seriously, some of these kids just ain't that bright. The video about strangest recruiter questions helps confirms this. Mathieson and Kennedy both come across as brain-less buffoons.

gosh.

learning curves, some are steeper than others.

Still can't believe that Essendon didn't challenge any of the academy boys at their pick.

Definitely would've taken Hopper ahead of Francis. Can't understand why they didn't bid.

I really liked what we did at our pick. I would've been stoked with Matthew Kennedy. Cannot believe no one bid on him earlier. We squeezed some picks out of the Lions and GWS to improve our second pick. Smart strategy. It really was. And the bid on Rice was spot on, I would've been stoked with him at our second pick.

We had limited picks but Francis made a impact.