Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

I am over Hardwick, and have been for a very long time. A very limited coach, riddled with platitudes and cliches which were fed to him no doubt by a fantastic support group of administrators and senior Richmond people.

With an incredible group of assistant coaches and the quiet manipulations of Balme, together with a generational playing group, the path was paved for success. I still maintain Hardwick was a shocking games day coach, who often said and I believe him, “you don’t have to coach these players!”

Jumping ship early last season and all the bullshite that followed as to why, only to pop up with the blessing of the AFL at the GCS later the same year, got right up my nose.

Now, like some kind of hyena, he is happily dining off the carcass of the RFC which infuriates me. A carcass he had a big hand in creating! When Hardwick spells “loyalty” he spells “me” and expect more platitudes and cliches as he accepts Rioli into the Sun fold.

It will be completely unacceptable to me if the RFC does not play hard ball with the Suns, and get a better than expected compensation for a Tiger premiership player at the height of his career playing very good football.

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users
IMO Hardwick F@%&#d the joint most of the damage and resultant fall out has come from his actions post 2020 and after and of recent when away from the club.

Reactions: 3 users
I am over Hardwick, and have been for a very long time. A very limited coach, riddled with platitudes and cliches which were fed to him no doubt by a fantastic support group of administrators and senior Richmond people.

With an incredible group of assistant coaches and the quiet manipulations of Balme, together with a generational playing group, the path was paved for success. I still maintain Hardwick was a shocking games day coach, who often said and I believe him, “you don’t have to coach these players!”

Jumping ship early last season and all the bullshite that followed as to why, only to pop up with the blessing of the AFL at the GCS later the same year, got right up my nose.

Now, like some kind of hyena, he is happily dining off the carcass of the RFC which infuriates me. A carcass he had a big hand in creating! When Hardwick spells “loyalty” he spells “me” and expect more platitudes and cliches as he accepts Rioli into the Sun fold.

It will be completely unacceptable to me if the RFC does not play hard ball with the Suns, and get a better than expected compensation for a Tiger premiership player at the height of his career playing very good football.
Well said

IMO Hardwick F@%&#d the joint most of the damage and resultant fall out has come from his actions post 2020 and after and of recent when away from the club.
Not sure I completely buy that seeing players are more than prepared to join him, I do accept tho that he was instrumental to some poor decisions made 22/23 that we’re paying the price for

Before we start the Dimma can't coach narrative, have one more look at the 2020 GF Sound the Alarm quarter-by-quarter miked up video. I was very impressed.

This is primary evidence.

Opinions are like bums. Everybody has one.

But, the way he left us stinks to high heaven.

Reactions: 10 users
I think it’s unreasonable to blame him for all the damage. Poor trade decisions are on Blair. Not reigning him in is on Gale.

Leaving the way he did and systematically poaching staff and players though. What an egotistical prick. He should have stayed off the ground for the farewell too. I can’t stand him.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure I completely buy that seeing players are more than prepared to join him, I do accept tho that he was instrumental to some poor decisions made 22/23 that we’re paying the price for
Players? Its only Daniel that wants to go to Suns

Reactions: 1 user
Graig I wouldn shut down anyone who would bag him or say that Carcella and McCrae won us the flags.
But the more I think about it the more I think I was in the wrong.
He was rudderless and unstable in his last 15 months. Making decisions on the run without any thought. And then bolting when things went to *smile*.
I say it again, in professional sport, in 50yrs how many team sport coaches have gotten up mid team without being asked to leave or being sacked?? It's unheard off.
It now matches the day GR got rid of jewell in 81 to replace him with Bourke.

Last edited:
I think it’s unreasonable to blame him for all the damage. Poor trade decisions are on Blair. Not reigning him in is on Gale.

Leaving the way he did and systematically poaching staff and players though. What an egotistical prick. He should have stayed off the ground for the farewell too. I can’t stand him.
There's definitely some blame on the club. But tell me this...

What club keeps a coach, but won't help build the list the coach asks for to be successful? What would it look like, if we'd won our third premiership, and Dimma walks and says, I want to keep being successful, but the club and I had different understanding of the list and where we needed to go.

No win situation for the club.