Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

As much as I dislike Sheedy he reset three times and won flags in the 80's, 90's and noughties. Hardwick and Clarkson had multi' s once.

Like Danielle I can see how easy it is too be gutted by this guy

Reactions: 2 users
With Sheedy I felt like the resets were designed primarily to keep him in the job for a long time (clearly it worked). Somehow he sold the club on the need to reset as soon as they won the flag. I mean why did that Essendon team of 2000 need to reset? Oh well, too bad.

Winning multiples is incredibly difficult and in part involves a conscious decision to stick with a list and ride that sucker to the end of the line. As Brisbane did. And as we did.

It really grinds me how he talks about richmond now, as if it was an old fling that never happened. "That club" etc. Even when he compliments the champs yesterday he has to say its good for the AFL instead of good for our club. I understand he has optics the live up to with Gold Coast, but the lack of respect and the failure to address his relationship to us is very disappointing

Reactions: 6 users
With Sheedy I felt like the resets were designed primarily to keep him in the job for a long time (clearly it worked). Somehow he sold the club on the need to reset as soon as they won the flag. I mean why did that Essendon team of 2000 need to reset? Oh well, too bad.
Salary cap crackdown. Lost players they had to trade out because of the cap.

Reactions: 1 users
It really grinds me how he talks about richmond now, as if it was an old fling that never happened. "That club" etc. Even when he compliments the champs yesterday he has to say its good for the AFL instead of good for our club. I understand he has optics the live up to with Gold Coast, but the lack of respect and the failure to address his relationship to us is very disappointing
Dimma has always been all about Dimma. Doubt he has any sort of bond or connection with any of his former clubs - essendon and port also.

Was so embarrassing as a supporter at the ground. Those that booed ought to be ashamed, the man was our coach for 3 premiership wins. So disrespectful, just don’t get the hate. So what, he moved on as have the club. Never thought I’d see another flag in my lifetime, then we saluted in 2017.
I’ll be forever indebted to what Hardwick and his group of players achieved. Booing him was a disgrace
Yup, he won us three Premierships. Led us to respectability.
If he'd left at the end of 22, said "I can't go on, I'm burned out. Took 12 months off, and coached Suns this year I feel it would be different.
But he pushed for his last dance. He cost us good picks, then he bailed for his "new toys". Oh, after a 3 month recovery from his fatigue and a break from sausage cooking. *smile*.
Then to try pick the eyes out of "Richmond men" . I said it was a dog act at the time.
Now, in the words of my brother, I'll change my opinion. *smile* act.
I hope GCS fall flat on their face chasing a premiership, and he becomes their version of St Kilda's Malcolm Blight. Egotistical mercenary. Good luck to the prick in 25.

• Wow
  • Dislike
Reactions: 18 users
Dimma has always been all about Dimma. Doubt he has any sort of bond or connection with any of his former clubs - essendon and port also.
You can see it when The weasel Cornes talks about him.
Compare Cornes talking about Kingsley and then Hardwick.

Salary cap crackdown. Lost players they had to trade out because of the cap.
Yep, but players can (and do) take salary reductions to keep the playing group together.

Whether one thinks it’s a good strategy or not, with Sheeds I always thought that there was something else at play.

Keeping the group together is itself no guarantee - look at St Kilda.

Thought he was a fraud when he worked for us.

Think he is a fraud now.

The club is bigger than one man’s ego. Look forwards, not backwards.

• Wow
Why hasn't Longmire walked out of Sydney after he lost his 3rd GF
Why didn't Scott pack it up after 2020???
Why didn't Scott pack it up after a 80 pt loss in the 2021 final??
They stuck with the club and worked it out.
They didn't crack the sads and walk out.
Hardwick let all of us down. I don't blame the kids asking to leave, when the coach and CEO pack it up midseason, what example does it send to the kids?
Hardwick is the owner of the 2024 wooden spoon. Coward

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Yup, he won us three Premierships. Led us to respectability.
If he'd left at the end of 22, said "I can't go on, I'm burned out. Took 12 months off, and coached Suns this year I feel it would be different.
But he pushed for his last dance. He cost us good picks, then he bailed for his "new toys". Oh, after a 3 month recovery from his fatigue and a break from sausage cooking. *smile*.
Then to try pick the eyes out of "Richmond men" . I said it was a dog act at the time.
Now, in the words of my brother, I'll change my opinion. *smile* act.
I hope GCS fall flat on their face chasing a premiership, and he becomes their version of St Kilda's Malcolm Blight. Egotistical mercenary. Good luck to the prick in 25.
This sums it up for me. I had great respect for the many ways Richmond changed during his time. Perhaps more of the credit goes to Benny and Peggy than I first suspected? They both showed real integrity. DH showed none when it counted. Not in his personal life, and not in the way he left the club.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I’m a bit undecided on him now. Legend for what he did for our club & will forever be remembered for it , but p*ssed off for how he left & the mess we are in now.

Starting to get that feeling I had about him when he was a player though when I see him in press conferences etc with the smirk on his face.

Reactions: 4 users
Footy creates strange loyalties.

I loved Dimma while he was coaching us and I believed he wanted to continue with the next gen.

2023 was a disaster and off he goes half way through the season, saying he is burnt out. The rest is history.

Now he is using his very close bond with Daniel to take one of our better players.

I must confess, I enjoyed every presser when Dimma lost a game this year, and found winning Dimma fairly arrogant.

I hope I don't feel that way about Daniel next year. But he has joined the toys team...

This exodus from basically everyone will leave our club unrecognisable and I have become quite jaded about the whole thing. Why all at once?

The worst years are the ones where you want to lose in order to get draft picks.

If we fold like a pack of cards in the draft/trading periods it will be loltigers for many years to come.

Been there done that.

Anyway, to all of those who have jumped and are about to jump off the bus. Hopefully we will prove you all wrong.

I will now study the form of the top 20 in the draft and hang my hat on hope for a while.

Reactions: 10 users