Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

Seems am in a dwindling group, but still don't have a bad thing come to mind when think about Dimma.

He gave 14 years. Longest in our history. He can't stay forever - it was time.

Good on him up there. Hope he does well - Just not against us.

He's an amazing coach so odds on to succeed.
I'm with you.
He had a job and was terrific doing it.
His personal life was affected and his circumstances changed. Happens to many people, not my business and not my place to judge.

I dont know what people expect him to say. He is now coach of Gold Coast so he'll be pumping them up. Let him do his job

Reactions: 10 users
Seems am in a dwindling group, but still don't have a bad thing come to mind when think about Dimma.

He gave 14 years. Longest in our history. He can't stay forever - it was time.

Good on him up there. Hope he does well - Just not against us.

He's an amazing coach so odds on to succeed.
I agree. Dimma is doing what's best for Dimma. The end. It's not a slight on his legacy with us IMO.

Reactions: 9 users
I was too young but was the vibe on Hafey when he went and became Collingwood’s coach?

Loved by all at Richmond in my memory….. but he never got the pies or cats or swans a flag. 4 gf losses and a draw for pies after 4-1 with us. And a loss against us.

I was too young but was the vibe on Hafey when he went and became Collingwood’s coach?

Loved by all at Richmond in my memory….. but he never got the pies or cats or swans a flag. 4 gf losses and a draw for pies after 4-1 with us. And a loss against us.
Different circumstances. Most fans blamed the club for Hafey leaving not Tommy.
My issue is not with Dimma’s legacy as a coach but the whole way the departure happened and he talks about it. His story has morphed over time.
A successful coach walking mid season and leaving his club without a coach, then taking another job before the end of the season is not normal, it is unprecedented.

Reactions: 11 users
I'm with you.
He had a job and was terrific doing it.
His personal life was affected and his circumstances changed. Happens to many people, not my business and not my place to judge.

I dont know what people expect him to say. He is now coach of Gold Coast so he'll be pumping them up. Let him do his job
We love Dimma.
Dimma slapped Scott.
We will always love Dimma

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
.....football has, and always will remain very tribal for me, which is why I *smile* hate Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Geelong, with quite possibly too much passion!......

There is no such thing as too much passion when it comes to hating those clubs

Reactions: 1 users
My issue is not with Dimma’s legacy as a coach but the whole way the departure happened and he talks about it. His story has morphed over time.
A successful coach walking mid season and leaving his club without a coach, then taking another job before the end of the season is not normal, it is unprecedented.
Money talks!

Reactions: 2 users
Turning Grigg into a premiership ruck, and George into a premiership CHF was unprecendented.
Leading Richmond to 3 flags in 4 years in the modern AFL was unprecendented.

He likes to do things different!

From what I have seen of him in media, Hardwick has never had a personality I particularly warmed to, but he was a great coach for us over a long period of time, and will always be a Richmond legend.
The way he left wasnt ideal, but better he walk away once he knows it is time, that hang around for the sake of it. And I still buy that 3 months away from the game, and the pressure would give him time to recharge, and assess what he wanted.

Reactions: 8 users
Hardwick had the cattle and implemented a game plan to suit. He was hungry for success and achieved it.
There are no guarantees in life. If you start believing your own press, then the fall can be quite dramatic and sharp.

I wish him well.

Reactions: 2 users
Turning Grigg into a premiership ruck, and George into a premiership CHF was unprecendented.
Leading Richmond to 3 flags in 4 years in the modern AFL was unprecendented.

He likes to do things different!

From what I have seen of him in media, Hardwick has never had a personality I particularly warmed to, but he was a great coach for us over a long period of time, and will always be a Richmond legend.
The way he left wasnt ideal, but better he walk away once he knows it is time, that hang around for the sake of it. And I still buy that 3 months away from the game, and the pressure would give him time to recharge, and assess what he wanted.
As I said, not questioning his legacy as a coach

As I said, not questioning his legacy as a coach
You are questioning him leaving midseason. Which Brodders addressed.
Has his story morphed?
He was done at the Tiges and said so at the time. He was clearly headhunted for GCS. Thats neither unprecedented or uncommon in football and other jobs.
Now he is talking as the Suns coach so his message is less what we want to hear. Its never going to be the unvarnished truth.
And he offers jobs to people he worked with throughout his career. Having coffee to make the offer. Blow me down some people are surprised.

Reactions: 4 users
Brodders aknowledged it wasn't ideal. Which is all Sin has basically said.

I agree with Sin that there is something not quite authentic about DH in his re morphed state. It's almost manufactured at the moment.

He's a tigers legend and always will be, part of creating some of the greatest football memories in RFC histiory. But let's face it, he's not the first successful, middle-aged man to prefer shiny pretty new things.

Reactions: 3 users
Brodders aknowledged it wasn't ideal. Which is all Sin has basically said.

I agree with Sin that there is something not quite authentic about DH in his re morphed state. It's almost manufactured at the moment.

He's a tigers legend and always will be, part of creating some of the greatest football memories in RFC histiory. But let's face it, he's not the first successful, middle-aged man to prefer shiny pretty new things.
Or the first person to have worked somewhere for 14 years. Been successful.
And then needed change.

I dont know why people need to tie this into a romantic, personal thing.
Lets face it he would ve been doing more hours a week than most, plus sacrificed family time.
He gets worn down, exhausted, frustrated, angry, burnt out. Whatever.
How is that not authentic to say I'm done here?
Of course he didnt retire. He gets another job.

Reactions: 5 users
Has his story morphed?
He was done at the Tiges and said so at the time. He was clearly headhunted for GCS. Thats neither unprecedented or uncommon in football and other jobs.
Now he is talking as the Suns coach so his message is less what we want to hear. Its never going to be the unvarnished truth.
And he offers jobs to people he worked with throughout his career. Having coffee to make the offer. Blow me down some people are surprised.
I said how I felt, that there is something disingenuous about what he is saying now that I can’t put my finger on.
You can agree or disagree but I’m not looking for a debate, you either feel that way or you don’t.
Yes his story has morphed. Burnt out to …whatever it is now which is not burnt out.
Say what you like there has never been a coach walk away in mid season without being sacked or sick. This is totally unprecedented. It is strange.

Reactions: 6 users
I said how I felt, that there is something disingenuous about what he is saying now that I can’t put my finger on.
You can agree or disagree but I’m not looking for a debate, you either feel that way or you don’t.
Yes his story has morphed. Burnt out to …whatever it is now which is not burnt out.
Say what you like there has never been a coach walk away in mid season without being sacked or sick. This is totally unprecedented. It is strange.
Main problem is that this changeover happened too soon which makes it look dodgy. Assumptions can be made he knew of this offer before announcing his resignation from us. I was expecting him to do a Clarko and return 18 months later to a new side if he wanted to. For me, his saying that his voice fell on deaf ears with our club is not convincing as we haven't fallen to the bottom, no player(s) walked out and most all admitted they were shocked he wanted to leave (i.e. they wanted him to continue as coach).

Hardwick had the cattle and implemented a game plan to suit. He was hungry for success and achieved it.
There are no guarantees in life. If you start believing your own press, then the fall can be quite dramatic and sharp.

I wish him well.
As soon as he didn't have superstars in form and on the park his true colours came out. Like trying to putt with a 3 wood.

Wish him nothing but failure at GC.

Edit: Geez I sound like a tool. I am grateful for what Dimma did for us and how he kept it all together and gave our players an environment they could shine in. he had their back for the majority of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I wish him well.
Ditto
And as long as they’re not playing us in a granny - I’ll be barracking for GC

Reactions: 1 user
While I am pissed at Hardwick stealing our people, it will only speed up cultural reinvigoration that Yze is clearly working on.
So we lost a team manager and someone to do the interchange bench? And football analysis guy.

What's the team manager do?
Wash jumpers, get the gator aide? Is it interstate travel related too?

Reactions: 1 user
Main problem is that this changeover happened too soon which makes it look dodgy. Assumptions can be made he knew of this offer before announcing his resignation from us. I was expecting him to do a Clarko and return 18 months later to a new side if he wanted to. For me, his saying that his voice fell on deaf ears with our club is not convincing as we haven't fallen to the bottom, no player(s) walked out and most all admitted they were shocked he wanted to leave (i.e. they wanted him to continue as coach).
I don’t know why it happened that way but it just doesn’t feel right to me. Coaches don’t just suddenly decide to leave in the middle of a season, it doesn’t happen.
But it did
I’m just saying that it all grates on me a bit, the way Dimma just acts and talks. It’s sort of like dumping your wife of many years and bragging about your new young girlfriend.
If it doesn’t grate on others that’s fine

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I'm grateful for what Dimma did for us - but also wish him nothing but failure moving forward. He is now the enemy.

Reactions: 4 users