Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

It'd be almost impossible to enforce. An individual is allowed to change their place of employment. Thats the way its always been.

We've got many folks from other clubs the same way.
Balme, Caracella, Caddy

Reactions: 1 user
Unless your born to barrack for this mighty club like most of us here, your a Richmond man until you’re not.

Reactions: 3 users
Im guessing for a start cos Hardwick isnt employing him, the Suns are. It would be pretty restrictive to stop guys in those positions moving to another club.
It'd be almost impossible to enforce. An individual is allowed to change their place of employment. Thats the way its always been.

We've got many folks from other clubs the same way.
Huh. Restraint of trade ring a bell?
Happens in all walks of life. Poaching staff for a period of time is noted in many contracts especially those held in high positions.

Very easily enforceable (its called a contract) and happens reguarly.

In a Tigers Facebook group, there's claims (by multiple people) that it was "well known" Hayden and his family had been saying they wanted to move to Queensland for several years. Easy pick for Dimma if true.
Seen him up at Burleigh a few weeks ago .

Na, I dont think thats correct.

The software / system we use for recruitment is not what HH did

I have seen both at work

I think the recruitment program was called Playtrack or similar
Correct
The stats is directly from champion data
Under license . Clubs then do what they like

Spot on. It is a bespoke DB. Plus he understood data and causality. Basically became a data scientist in his role. It's funny on the recruiting threads we now have Francis Jackson regarded as a very good recruiter. Hayden built the DB (from scratch) that identified the potential recruits. In the 2006 draft Hayden provided the data and analysis from a technical perspective that made Shane Edwards pick 26. Francis and Greg Miller presented to a group of us (Phantom was there) and Hayden was the 3rd spoke in the wheel.

And before anyone piles in, yes I know there have been misses, but the level of insight into gameplans, skills, potential, capability that the level of data he developed is second to none in the AFL. And that will be in his head not documented formally.

Yeah I'm a wannabee data scientist. I'm not one, but I understand the insight that they can provide. So I value his skill very, very highly.
The old Greg Miller template
And the Under 18,s videos
Still got a copy of the template somewhere
All about positive actions . Retain possession etc etc. etc
You would watch each game and track each possession
Then send the template to Greg who would go and watch say the Gippsland Power and look at Dean Polo say

• Haha
If we can't replace a stats guy or someone under him for 20 years plus can't takeover we shouldn't be in business.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Then send the template to Greg who would go and watch say the Gippsland Power and look at Dean Polo say

Guessing that system led us to pick JON @ #8 in 05

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Dimma has gone for the golden dollar which is fair enough as many of us have done ourselves but it still sticks in my craw that he said he was burnt out when he left us only to move on quickly. Still money is a god healer. I wonder how many, if any, of our current team will follow him? Will be an interesting few weeks

Still money is a god healer. I wonder how many, if any, of our current team will follow him? Will be an interesting few weeks
I’m guessing not many if any. They’ve had their time with Dimma. Only had to see Brando’s body language & now Mabs wants a trade. Footballers like coaches need a new challenge.

Reactions: 1 users
Hayden is a dill
Wouldn’t know how to kick a footy
Seriously
His own self importance is much greater than his ability
Shut the door on the way out champ
No secret he was going either
Did you tell everyone else all this fascinating stuff before he was leaving or only after it was suggested he was leaving????

Really a big loss ? Ah no
Dusty would be a big loss
Lynch was a big loss this year
Craig McCrae huge loss as was Leppa
Hayden isn’t a big loss !
Been at the club for 22 years . Tell me how he went for first 15 years
Oh dear
Rob Innes big loss ! Recovery never been the same over past 3 years
Some good points there Stiglitz

It’s all from Champion Data anyway
He just filtered as Dimma wanted
It’s not rocket science
RFC have there own program but the content is straight from Champion Data
Champion data might provide the data n stats to everyone in the AFL, but it's up to the various analyst's to work out what that data means to their team and system. That's where the rocket science comes in. All the stats n data in the world ain't worth a pinch of goat *smile* if ya don't understand what they all mean when compared to yours.

Reactions: 3 users
Last sentence almost made me apoplectic

• Sad
Did you tell everyone else all this fascinating stuff before he was leaving or only after it was suggested he was leaving????
Told him in person in 2012
Takes Hayden 3hours to watch 60
minutes each Sunday night , he ain’t smart