Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

I think it should be noted that Dimma never said he was “burnt out” (stand to be corrected though).
It was Caro who said that, and I find it kind of ironic that a lot of people who usually bag her are running with it.

Dimma said he realised he wasn’t going to coach Richmond next year, because he thought his message wasn’t getting through anymore - and it showed - and he thought the best thing for the club was to step down then and not wait to the end of the year. He stated he still thought they could make finals.

He never said he was burnt out from coaching anywhere.

I wish him all the best at GC if that happens.
Our greatest coach since Hafey, and I’ll always remember and be grateful for the best day of my life at the footy 30/09/2017
Someone mentioned he looked stuffed after 2022 season. If true, he should've called it then. We could've had Kingsley as new coach.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah. Seems a bit stage managed.
To make it look to all of us ‘from the outside’ , that this deal wasn’t already ‘hand shake ‘ when Dimma returned to watch Cotch play his 300th?

Going overseas to meet him and sign on the doted line now that it’s been a few weeks since his premiership team mates sacking.

‘Just saying’.

Reactions: 1 user
To make it look to all of us ‘from the outside’ , that this deal wasn’t already ‘hand shake ‘ when Dimma returned to watch Cotch play his 300th?

Going overseas to meet him and sign on the doted line now that it’s been a few weeks since his premiership team mates sacking.

‘Just saying’.
Parrot on FC showed Cambo (Huns GM now) sitting behind Dimma as we saw at the G that night and must've obviously spoken about this.

‘Just saying’.

I reckon it was done last year and he went into this season wanting his last dance with us didnt get it so quit to get a Europe trip in before starting at the suns

Ive said it before and Ill say it again now we know how mrs Hardwick felt

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Love him but if true my admiration has been tarnished.
Don't like back door deals.
And if true, he has backdoored his mate Dew in the process.
Understand your take (assuming all this happens) - but nothing changes for me and certainly no tarnish

Dimma will always be an absolute legend for me - and I'll never have anything but the greatest admiration and thanks for everything he's done at our Club.
It's been life changing.

I even hope now that he does well at GC apart from games against us - but I hope he gets a big cheer from us on game day.

Don't forget - our previous Premiership winning coaches (Tommy and Tony) went on to coach other teams - but they remain(ed) RFC legends.

Reactions: 7 users
FWIW Sam Maclure reported in The age that the flight to Italy was following a phone call from Mark Evans to Dimma last week to see whether he was interested in the job.
I know …Sam Maclure. He quotes a senior Suns official.
All I am saying is that there are a lot of narratives around but this article does not fit the narrative that it was a done deal.
Nor does a CEO flying to Italy to finalise a deal. If the deal was done, why fly to Italy?
Maybe there had been earlier discussions , who knows? But flying to Italy to hide a some sort of behind the back conspiracy is a bit of a long bow I reckon.

Reactions: 8 users
FWIW Sam Maclure reported in The age that the flight to Italy was following a phone call from Mark Evans to Dimma last week to see whether he was interested in the job.
All I am saying is that there are a lot of narratives around but this article does not fit the narrative that it was a done deal.
Nor does a CEO flying to Italy to finalise a deal. If the deal was done, why fly to Italy?
Maybe there had been earlier discussions , who knows? But flying to Italy to hide a some sort of behind the back conspiracy is a bit of a long bow I reckon.
Optics ????

Yep. Who’d want a free 1st class trip to Italy?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Do you think it might be a case where Dimma's unsure and needed more convincing, so fly there to discuss face to face?

We'd be safe in the 8 if Dimma left earlier this season.

Dogs, Swans, Bombers and Suns would have been wins.

Reactions: 4 users
I couldn't care less what the situation is. My goodwill towards Dimma has not changed.
Nothing lasts forever & he's brought us joy & Premierships. Something the 10 previous RFC coaches were unable to do.

Reactions: 25 users
No, this is the culmination of a cunning plan that has its roots in the 2011 draft, where a deal was done that would eventually see Prestia, Caddy and Lynch end up at Richmond to taste premiership success with Dimma, and in return he’d run the team in to the ground, pretend to be burnt out, then resurrect his career at the wildly successful Gold Coast outfit.

Happy Episode 14 GIF by The Simpsons

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Do you think it might be a case where Dimma's unsure and needed more convincing, so fly there to discuss face to face?
Didn’t he say 2 weeks later after sighting ‘burnout’, he was ready again?

Look I don’t hold animosity, ill feeling towards Dimma.

He brought us so much happiness, joy & tears that can never be thanked enough, but my only thing is , this should ( he ) should have called time at the end of 22 OR , done as Clarko done and taken a few weeks citing ‘mental health’ , got himself feeling good and returned. ??? Mac could have coached for 2-3 games and away we go.

He sold the prospect to two boys to come to the Tigers. Hindsight is always a wonderful thing after , but would those two boys come to the Tigers if Dimma wasn’t coach?

We lost a couple good assistants on the proviso he would be our coach till 24.

When did he do the extension?

Sometime in 22? Not sure.

I know other coaches of ours have gone on and coached other teams but Dimma spent 14 years with ‘us’. We rode ever bump, every low and every high. The thought of him coaching elsewhere and IF a deal was agreed too , coach GCS, then I don’t know how to feel.

Conflicted yes.

Reactions: 2 users
Bloody hell, why is everyone so hung up on “but he said he was burnt out”? Whatever the truth the fact was his time at RFC was up as his message to the players was no longer getting through. That he coaches again at the first club that knocks on his door, well good luck to him but it means nothing to Richmond.
FWIW, was told by a well connected footy figure that it was known inside AFL circles early this year that Dimma was highly unlikely to be at RFC in 2024 and that GC was the likely destination

Reactions: 5 users
I reckon he was burnt out at Richmond more than burnt out from coaching.
Have to admit that speech he made last season in the B&F about the 'take the stairs' sounded a bit empty after a few listenings/thoughts. That cheap camp this pre-season without him there proved he was done.

Reactions: 3 users
Meh.
Dimma's a legendary " former " Richmond coach. Always be mighty pleased, grateful and respectful of the job he did while at Tigerland. But he's no longer our coach so he can do whatever the hell he likes ( hopefully that doesn't include coaching any wins against us ).
Almost all of the legendary coaches throughout the history of the game have coached at more than one club, why should it be any different for Dimma.

Reactions: 7 users