Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

Everything has to align at tge right time to win a flag.
Dimma was good....but I reckon a drovers dog could have coached a couple of our flags.

Reactions: 1 users
Had a listen to the podcast. Seemed to cop a but on here, but thought Buckley did an excellent job.

Created a nice relaxed environment and chipped in when needed. Has a big future in the media you'd think.
Also chipped in when not needed. He's not bad, but there is room for improvement IMO.

Reactions: 2 users
Had a listen to the podcast. Seemed to cop a but on here, but thought Buckley did an excellent job.

Created a nice relaxed environment and chipped in when needed. Has a big future in the media you'd think.
Yeah, agree with that. My small complaint was I felt Buckley was trying too hard to be hip by constantly dropping the f bomb.

Reactions: 1 user
will Dimma stick with what he knows or reinvent himself?

I reckon dimma is a bit of a one-trick pony.

But its a really *smile* good trick

Our Mini, on the other hand, has volumes and volumes of tricks

Reactions: 4 users
Everything has to align at tge right time to win a flag.
Dimma was good....but I reckon a drovers dog could have coached a couple of our flags.
2019 was probably the easiest of the 3 however we won a lot of games in a row to win it because we had a lot of injuries early in the season. But the side was highly motivated for redemption and he exploited that.

2020 was a triumph. He coached us brilliantly after he came to terms with the hub. We were gone a couple of times, lost our first final and well down at halftime in the Grannie.

Would be a hell of a drover’s dog imo

Reactions: 19 users
2019 was probably the easiest of the 3 however we won a lot of games in a row to win it because we had a lot of injuries early in the season. But the side was highly motivated for redemption and he exploited that.

2020 was a triumph. He coached us brilliantly after he came to terms with the hub. We were gone a couple of times, lost our first final and well down at halftime in the Grannie.

Would be a hell of a drover’s dog imo
Dimma had the players minds and wills invested in him.

He had them playing for him no doubt about it and had them playing for each other.

He also had some very astute assistance in the box and on the boundary but also had some very good on field leaders to boot.

Was a grand alignment indeed, and thats what is needed for a dynasty team.

Any good side can have a year out of the box that leads to a flag here and there, but dominant era teams dynasty teams the stars align in every facet on and off field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, my latest job as an accountant, the MD asked me one final question at the interview. "what's one plus one?", I leaned over his desk and said "whatever you want it to be". Enjoying my stay.
I worked as an internal consultant in conjunction with an independent consultancy firm for a major Australian bank for nearly 10 years. The bank wanted to improve the efficiency of its Operations division. We were assigned one division in Queensland and given 8 months to hit a set of targets or we were gone.

The consultancy group we were working with were fantastic. They quickly set up a lean six sigma program and the results were amazing. That 8 month program ended up being a 10 year program that touched every team in the banks operations areas and evolved in line with the banks requirements.

Key to that success, was having a great team of committed people, support from the highest echelon of the bank, a proven method of working and a leader who knew how to connect with people of all kinds. We would enter departments with the employees wanting to kill us as they knew that efficiency gains would inevitably lead to a reduced workforce, an increased workload or both and within an hour of this leader explaining the process, why we were doing it and what we expect the outcomes to be the workers were laughing and eager to get involved in the project. Amazing leadership.

I think to be a successful club you need all those elements I saw in action over that 10 years. Did they always love us, of course not. But they understood what we were doing, they were an active part of it and we were honest with them throughout and we had their respect as a result. A great team working together, with integrity and respect for all, using a proven process lead by a strong and charismatic leader can achieve great things. Things that may not have seemed possible at the outset. Sound familiar?

Dimma was a beneficiary and a key part of a team with all those qualities. The departure of Peggy, Dimma and most likely Benny will be challenging, but the culture they have built will be a legacy that will survive long after they have gone.

It's why I believe quality candidates will be falling over themselves to become our next coach. Great club, great culture, great people and a decent playing list. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that? (Dimma excepted of course)

Maybe however leaving when he did didn’t tarnish his rep one bit a wooden spoon might a few %
Except there was absolutely no way Dimma and RFC were going to win a wooden spoon . Seriously. Even with further unexpected losses, there is too much pride and ability in this team and club.
Then ... there's also WCE 2023.

Interesting idea but I can't see him in a role like that. Running a club takes a totally different skillset to coaching a team. Being an accountant by profession doesn't mean you can run a multi million $ organisation.

Some of the worst run companies I've worked for & have observed, were run by accountants.
I’ve been involved in working with many multi million dollar companies and I believe ha has a great skill set. Being an accountant just means he can count and knows his way around a balance sheet. He is atypical for an accountant. People skills, vision and lateral thinking count for a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
How many other coaches have had the honour of having the AFL intervene with rule changes designed to stop the winning? Once the stand on the mark rule was introduced the gameplan needed an overhaul and also a change of personnel, these things don't happen overnight & it's no surprise we came back to the pack - any coach would have struggled with the raft of changes. I think it's also worth remembering Hardwick outcoached Chris Scott, he dealt with Hinkley in hostile circumstances and he put a sock in the mouth of a cocky Crows outfit. The one year we finished on top, we also wound up losing the game that mattered most and that's a timely reminder that the real challenge is winning finals. Hardwick went from making up numbers to being a force to be reckoned with. You know a coach is doing well when the opposition hear footsteps, the team was drilled like an army of ants and the opposition's fear was palpable.

Reactions: 28 users
Only reasons Hardwick should go to the Suns is for a paycheck and because he likes the warmer weather. That place is a football graveyard where talent goes to die.

West Coast will probably play finals again before the GCS do.

Reactions: 4 users
North if Clarkson pulls the pin? Another tough ask.
With another batch of premium early draftees coming in at the end of this year. It would be the perfect option for an experienced coach to grow a generation of quality youngsters. Probably the reasoning why they got a Clarko in the first place, but things went pear shaped in a hurry because of the Hawforn racism scenario.
Mold Coast have been stuck in that flaky accepting almost but not quite a finalist for a few seasons now n there's a fair chance that not a real lot will suddenly change with another new coach. Just thinkin it might be a tad easier to build up a young bottom side from the learn to hate losing position into the start some pay back from the #Lolnorf perspective.

Hardwick is about Hardwick so moving on from all the }%$<^¥ about him being a Richmond man let’s look at the state of the list he’s built since 2020 which includes the new recruits added to the list and the assistant coaches still at the club.

Now can you understand why he jumped ship mid season?!!!!

• Dislike