Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

I can see Dimma stepping in for Stewie Dew. A nice AFL sponsored retirement on the Gold Coast is just his ticket I reckon.

Reactions: 3 users
how Dimma goes at his next club - and it will be 2024 - will be absolutely fascinating.

a wonderful coach - first-rate educator, superb motivator, and a cannier tactician than some might believe.

but we all know he had a world-class framework in which to operate - a once-in a lifetime gallery of administrative stars at all levels of the club.

as for the footy side of things, the perfect marriage of chaos-ball and vulnerability cannot be replicated with the same impact. Collingwood have taken the template and created a monster no one else looks like matching this year.

will Dimma stick with what he knows or reinvent himself?
Think Dimma had a game plan based on the players that he had on the list and their strengths.
Was then able to motivate and get the whole club on board.

if he coaches again I would expect a game plan based on what that list can offer.
Having had a history of success, players will buy in to whatever game plan Dimma wants, and the board will do all it can to back him to success.

Good luck to him.

Reactions: 1 user
Short list of coaches who've won Premierships at second club especially recently.

Be interested to see the % of first time coaches (out of overall number) win a flag compared to those going to a second club.

Get to it please!

• Haha
Wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up taking next year off and positions himself for a plum role like Tasmania.
Can’t see him taking on a basket case like West Coast and he’s already stated he won’t be gunning for Stewart Dew’s job due to their close friendship. Unless they give him the sars.
Looks like Port job has closed down now that Hinkley has them purring.
North if Clarkson pulls the pin? Another tough ask.
Where then?
I would think he would take a job where they align with his values and learnings. A united board with a good CEO.

Be interested to see the % of first time coaches (out of overall number) win a flag compared to those going to a second club.

Get to it please!
I think you have to go back to 2010, Malthouse at the Pies, to find a premiership winning coach who wasn't as his first club.

Here is an idea from left field. Dimma to be Benny’s replacement. Dimma has a commercial background (formal accounting qualifications). He is a leader with vision, a leader of men and knows footy.
Reckon he struggles to contain his emotions too much for that role.

Here is an idea from left field. Dimma to be Benny’s replacement. Dimma has a commercial background (formal accounting qualifications). He is a leader with vision, a leader of men and knows footy.

Interesting idea but I can't see him in a role like that. Running a club takes a totally different skillset to coaching a team. Being an accountant by profession doesn't mean you can run a multi million $ organisation.

Some of the worst run companies I've worked for & have observed, were run by accountants.

Reactions: 2 users
Interesting idea but I can't see him in a role like that. Running a club takes a totally different skillset to coaching a team. Being an accountant by profession doesn't mean you can run a multi million $ organisation.

Some of the worst run companies I've worked for & have observed, were run by accountants.

Not sure how many you've seen but there is a reason why people from the finance profession generally run companies over say Sales staff. Most of the major companies around the world are run by finance professionals, but you have to have the right skills as a finance professional to make it work. Just because you have an accounting qualification doesn't mean you have the commercial acumen to make it work.

Reactions: 1 users

Get to it please!
Historically, the percentage of first-time coaches winning a flag in the Australian Football League (AFL) is generally lower compared to coaches who have already had previous coaching experience at another club. This is likely because coaching a team to a premiership requires not only a deep understanding of the game but also experience in managing and developing a team over an extended period.
While there have been instances of first-time coaches winning premierships, it is more common for coaches with prior experience to achieve success. These coaches often bring their learnings and insights from previous roles, which can contribute to their success in leading a team to a premiership.

It's important to note that coaching success depends on various factors such as the quality of the playing group, the overall team dynamics, player injuries, and other external circumstances. Therefore, the success rate can vary from season to season.
For the most up-to-date and accurate information on AFL coaching statistics, I recommend referring to official AFL sources, sports websites, or conducting a specific search for recent data. :unsure:

Had a listen to the podcast. Seemed to cop a but on here, but thought Buckley did an excellent job.

Created a nice relaxed environment and chipped in when needed. Has a big future in the media you'd think.

Yeah, my latest job as an accountant, the MD asked me one final question at the interview. "what's one plus one?", I leaned over his desk and said "whatever you want it to be". Enjoying my stay.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users