cuz on the couch | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

cuz on the couch

Wasn't in favour of picking him up, still don't think it was worth the risk but thats history.

Clearly Richmond has been a very positive experience for him and there are few who can say that in 09/10. The club needs people around it who feel positive about it.

hopper said:
Most of what he had to say was well done and well prepared. Good on him. I certainly hope he can get his body in good enough nick to play more regularly in 2010 ... and perhaps even beyond.

But seriously, some people here see/hear only what they want to. How is it that any of us are able to judge whether Cuz was honest or not. If you ask me, his responses about ..
1) Showing up out of shape and somewhat relapsed at the start of pre-season,
and
2) Why he shaved his head when he knew he had a drug test to take
... both smacked of dishonesty. I didn't believe a word of any of his responses in this regard.

I find it laughable that there are those adamant that Wayne Campbell (a club captain and club champion) should be replaced by this bloke, based on this interview. Try to remember, it takes some pretty stupid decisions to get into a position where you have to "overcome" stuff.

Hopper let me state right from the start your comment above tells me you know *smile* all about addictions. Ben’s comments about the journalist should do more research into the subject and then write about it rather than just writing about him also apply to you!

As for your support of Wayne Campbell – it is a fact that ever since he took over as mid-field coach our mid-field has been beaten comprehensively in most if not all games.

As a player you claim Campbell a champion – IMO he was a good player in a very poor team. To rate him as a Richmond champion is to rate him with Hart, Bartlett, Bourke and company – and he certainly is not in that league.

Campbell either has to change as a mid-field coach or leave for our mid-field to start getting on top of the opposition – something we have not done since he has had the job and something we did rarely when he was a player in our mid-field.

Cousins has a Brownlow, premiership medallion and is a true champion of our game – measured in the top 50 players of all time – Campbell is not within a “Bull's Roar” of that.........

RemoteTiger said:
As for your support of Wayne Campbell – it is a fact that ever since he took over as mid-field coach our mid-field has been beaten comprehensively in most if not all games.
How did the midfield go before his appointment?

I have watched this show a lot over the years and must say this was one of the best episodes ever. I thought the questions were great and to the point and I thought Ben Cousins was simply superb in his honesty and the way he handled himself.

He openly answered questions about his addiction, how tough it had been and continues to be. He made some unbeleivably valid points about people in the media writing articles attacking him, while not truly understanding what being a drug addict meant.

I always liked Ben Counsins the footballer an awful lot, after tonight I like Ben Counsins the person even more.

It takes enormous courage for an addict who can become so self obsessed to make the effort that he has had to, to get clean and stay that way. To do it in the fish bowl that is AFL football simply magnifies how impressive this effort has been so far.

I am entirley proud to be a Richmond supporter whose club has given this young man a chance to turn his life around, no matter what the final result is. I hope he can do what he says he can and play some bloody good football in the second half of this season and get another year. Our club could do a lot worse than keep the likes of this young man around the club as our tiger cubs continue to develop in their football.

I hope the club can see that.

On a final note, Brian Taylor has to been one of the most impressive people I have seen on this show. Lets hope they can keep him around because Mike Sheehan, Gerard Healy and James Hird pale in comparison in my view.

brigadiertiger said:
:cutelaugh Sounds like Ben may actually be on something.

Well whatever it is obviously helps people recognise a talented footballer when they see one, so perhaps you and-more importantly-our recruiting staff, should get on it too.

Elmer said:
not much

thanks for the links BTW.
Our midfield used to be one of the better clearance and contested ball winning midfields in the comp before Campbell took over.
Disposal was crap, but we knew how to get the ball and it was the midfield coming together that helped the late run to almost make the finals in 2008. Campbell walked in the door and it all went pear shaped from the start.

getbacktoglorydays said:
On a final note, Brian Taylor has to been one of the most impressive people I have seen on this show. Lets hope they can keep him around because Mike Sheehan, Gerard Healy and James Hird pale in comparison in my view.

Really? I think James Hird is great - BT was surprisingly good, but not as good as Hird.

thejinx said:
Really? I think James Hird is great - BT was surprisingly good, but not as good as Hird.

Agree - BT was good last night but can be hopelessly and willfully ignorant about certain teams and players.

Still entertaining as a caller - but Hird is really good in that On The Couch role I reckon.

TigerForce said:
So you contradict yourself then. How do YOU know it was dishonest?
Rubbish. I don't KNOW if he was lying or not, just the same as nobody on PRE KNOWS he was being "honest and candid". But working with kids for 16 years has given me a decent radar for when a naughty boy is hiding something. And Benny boy reeks of it.

But it's just an opinion and a feeling - acknowledged.

hopper said:
Rubbish. I don't KNOW if he was lying or not, just the same as nobody on PRE KNOWS he was being "honest and candid". But working with kids for 16 years has given me a decent radar for when a naughty boy is hiding something. And Benny boy reeks of it.

But it's just an opinion and a feeling - acknowledged.

I got the same feeling, probably for the same reasons, Hop! ;)

Rest of the interview was great, but he was very evasive on these questions.

Joe Lynn Turnip said:
Well whatever it is obviously helps people recognise a talented footballer when they see one, so perhaps you and-more importantly-our recruiting staff, should get on it too.

A talent for being an idiotic twat and being suspended from playing is a great talent to have.

I was wondering why my wife has been so interested in Richmond over the past 2 years...
She attended more games than ever before and last night was the 1st time ever she was interested in "On the Couch".

Should I be worried B1?

Said B2

I, for one, was very impressed with Ben. This (drug addiction) is a very serious social problem and it looks like he may get through it. I would look at keeping him around as he certainly would do better than the other "super" assistant coaches we have had (eg B. Royal).

Why does this guy cop so much??? He showed he at least has a brain, unlike Fev.